1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$35k Model 3 now available

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by iplug, Feb 28, 2019.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree with you in principle but in practice it hasn't worked that way. It is much more nuanced than black and white.

Tesla is the most shorted stock on the stock market. People who short the stock ( betting that the stock price will go lower) stand to make lots of money if they can drive drive down the stock price of $TSLA. It is well documented that the high rolling shorters are paying non--Tesla owners to write negative articles about Tesla on various fora, for profit Tubers, Seeking Alpha, Business Insider, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Consumer Reports, etc. One poster that was caught red-handed was "Montana Skeptic" who was actually an investment banker from NYC, heavily invested in oil stocks and shorting TSLA. These sources are often quoted here on Prius Chat. Anyone who pushes back on this fake news is often labeled a "fanboy" or "drinking kool-aid" which in themselves are epithets and ad hominem attacks. And there are posters on this forum who are critical of Tesla without ever having seen one up close, driving one for any length of time, or just link to what they read - the "if it's on the Internet, it must be true" syndrome

The current data suggests that 10% of verified Tesla buyers think that the fit and finish, quality, delivery process, structural and mechanical issues are unacceptable. Some of these complaints and criticisms are valid and some aren't. Sometimes these are people who use digital micrometers to measure gaps to 1/32 inch, laser lights and paint depth gauges, and 100 point checklists. Who has ever done that to a Toyota or Lexus? Frankly, they are very picky about a car that costs somewhere between $35K and $75K. While others have valid complaints about some serious issues with their car, a true lemon, and Tesla has fixed them, sometimes taking a long time due unavailability of replacement parts, which is a valid criticism. But this is the exception, not the rule. Another 10% have issues with their car but don't consider them serious, they can live with them. Some of these are owners who don't know how to use the car within its design parameters or fail to read the Owner's Manual. Then there is the 80% of owners who have absolutely no issues with their car but don't post that because there is nothing more boring than someone who has no complaints as opposed to someone who wants people to sign petitions to sue Tesla. Fortunately, I fall into the group that has ZERO problems with my car. Because my car is the best car I have ever owned and state that, I should not be accused of being a fanboy just because I like my car and have had no bad experiences with it. No my car isn't perfect. From day one, I have stated that I prefer Toyota's SKS access to Tesla's smartphone access, a large hatch for trunk access, and "sissy handles" over each window. But it is still the best car I have ever owned.

So yes, I agree that constructive and/or negative criticism of Tesla is not only acceptable but necessary for improvement in the product if it is based on valid information, significant experience, and reasonable expectations. On the other hand, it is equally acceptable to own a car that you are happy with and state that fact. So does that make me a "voice in the middle?" I think it does.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Abraham Lincoln was asked about General Grant's drinking and to paraphrase in modern terms, 'Find out what he is smoking and send a doobie to all of my leaders.'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Wilson

San_Carlos_Jeff, Zythryn and hill like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    then elon or his handlers need to improve his tweets, so they aren't misinterpreted by the general public.

Merkey likes this.
  4. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Agreed. I would prefer he not Tweet at all. An additional criticism I have about Elon specifically and Tesla Motors in general is that their dissemination of information to the public is unorganized, haphazard, and often contradictory. This kind of information should be handled by a well polished P.R. department. Perhaps that will happen sometime in the future, but in the meantime I pretty much ignore Elon's Tweets, I don't even have an account there. (y)

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just the SEC and they are far from the 'general public.'

Personally, I think every Elon tweet should be filed with the SEC. In an ideal world, before they go into twitter but a delay after sending the SEC filing would be perfectly fine by me. If the SEC has lawyers who want to see his tweets early, they can pay them.

Bob Wilson

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was reading the other day that someone mentioned the no return policy after taking a test drive. elon tweeted that that was incorrect, and it was the same policy whether you've had a test drive or not.

someone at the company said the policy would be 'updated'.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've got a plan to approach 1,000 miles by Monday, my seventh day:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

San_Carlos_Jeff, iplug and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you should return it just to be able to do a write up on the experience (y)

i'm thinking of doing the same with an on line mattress.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm a TSLA stock holder and don't see that helping my stock price ... or did you want to meet me at the Brentwood TN Tesla Store if I turn it in?

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can buy another. i wonder what the depreciated price would be?

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Buy your own and find out? <grins>

If you do, please use my referral code.

Bob Wilson

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    For the other Plug-in Prius drivers here, wanted to pass on some potentially useful resale information.

Just sold my 2012 Plug-in Prius to a neighbor at the KBB average $11,746. It had 50k miles on it, 50% EV, always garaged at home or work, in very good/excellent condition. Had floor mats and Curt bike hitch added. Had 1 year left on an 8 year platinum warranty which is transferred to new owner.

Felt like I could have asked for and gotten more, but looks like it will go to a good home. Tesla and CarMax offered ~$2k less for it.

markabele, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i could probably drive to cali, sell mine, fly home and pay for my round at pebble (y)

markabele and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Fremont is only ~100 miles away. You could pickup a Model 3 and drive back instead.:D

markabele, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sometimes, i wish i were still single. not often, but every once in a blue moon.:cool:

jtv, Raytheeagle and iplug like this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Too much quality time with Mrs. Bisco recently:love:?

When is your round at pebble:whistle:?

bisco, iplug and padroo like this.
  18. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tesla is the game changer and there is an uphill battle with politics, and the horse and buggy people, not to mention big oil.

bisco likes this.
  19. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A "blue moon" averages about once every 2.5 years but can occur as frequently as every two months. What? Your wife doesn't play golf? Hmmmmmmmm! o_O

BTW, I read (on the Internet no less, so it must be true ;)) that Teslas are not charged to drive on the 17 mile drive, home of Pebble Beach Club, because they are non-polluting.

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a pretty sweet deal. i could sell the pip, pick up a tesla, tour the coast and drive home.

i gonna have to start working on a strategy(n)

Raytheeagle likes this.