1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$35k Model 3 now available

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by iplug, Feb 28, 2019.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am a member of three of those fora. For the technically oriented, TMC is the largest and most well organized and most technically oriented with active participants from all over the world.
    Well it is the Internet and a thick skin is often required. And as a found religion, there is no shame in believing in goals, objectives, and principles while maintaining an open mind. You will get frank feedback on TMC which is often contradictory to preconceived conclusions.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    you may have noticed - that since PC grew during the first few years, a lot of 'different' kind of poster jumped on board. It seemed a higher % of techno's existed in PC's 1st ½decade - offering up how they created their own 2005 plugin, or switched to LED interior lights - or super comfy driver's seat, or adding a block heater etc. Same was true over at TMC, where the greatest amount of "knowledgeables" are/were found. One in particular makes money hacking Tesla's security on their behalf - as well as making a nice chunk of change modifying (for example) teslas' 70kwh pack into a 90. Now .... no more posts. So between the "haters" vs the, "defend at all cost" vs hucksters & yucksters, the trolls & the opposed ... both sites .... it simply takes more & more effort to dialogue - due to noise. Nature of the Beast. I really miss some of the technical posters that left here, as well as TMC, as both sites have had technically savy people (%-wise at least) that noticably curtailed their helpfulness (a little, or all together) in part - due to grief causing. It's really just the nature & growth of anonymous public forums.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A Model 3 owner here at work recommends

Tech Talk | Tesla Model 3 Owners Club

4. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    BEIJING/SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China's customs authority has suspended customs clearance procedures for Model 3 cars built by Tesla Inc, the financial publication Caixin reported on Tuesday.

The report said the customs authority in Shanghai had found various irregularities in 1,600 imported Model 3 cars, including the improper labelling of the vehicles.

Customs has notified Tesla not to sell or use Model 3 vehicles that have already been cleared, the report said, citing a notice issued by the authority on Mar. 1.

The authority has also urged inspectors at all ports responsible for importing vehicles to step up inspections of other imported Tesla models and suspend their release if similar problems are uncovered, the report added.

The carmaker was not immediately available for comment.

Tesla has been trying to roll out the Model 3 in China ahead of schedule in a bid to revive sales hit by Sino-U.S. trade tensions.

5. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    (Electrek)
    the automaker said that reservation holders could get the car within 4 weeks.

While this is apparently still true, Musk is now clarifying that this is part of another production ramp up and volume production of the new version of the Model 3 is not expected to happen for another few months
    On 6/5/18 at the @Tesla shareholder meeting, @elonmusk stated that the $35k Model 3 would be available Q1 2019. On 5/23/18, he gave March 15, 2019 as the Model Y unveiling day. These aren’t reactionary moves if they were planned mid last year

✔@elonmusk

Gap in understanding is that $35k Model 3 production *starts* this month, but will not reach volume production until mid year. Extremely difficult to predict middle part of manufacturing S-curve.

Tesla started taking orders for the $35,000 Model 3 last week and the CEO said they will prioritize reservation holders who were waiting for the base version.

Until now, Tesla has been producing between 4,000 and 5,000 Model 3 vehicles per week, but the automaker is targeting raising the capacity to 7,000 per week in Fremont and an additional 3,000 per week in China by the end of the year.

6. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Charging time should be a range from shortest to longest. It should also include wait time. Here's why:

• The rate of charge is essentially halved if there are two cars on the shared station. In a shared situation, each car would receive 67.5 kW of power, whereas a single car could charge at UP TO 120 kW. Urban Superchargers max out at 72 kW. I would assume that there is a maximum load if the entire Supercharger station if full, so the amount of power might be significantly lower at each power head. Also, Tesla may limit total loads in peak load periods to avoid significant penalty charges from the power provider.
    • Wait times to access the charging station may also add significantly to the total charge time. Sometimes there is a huge queue of cars waiting to charge. Your wait time may vary, but as more and more Teslas are added to the road, visions of the lines at the Apple Store on new phone launch day come to mind.
    • Add mileage and time to access Supercharger locations. They are not all conveniently located for your trip.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    • lines? slow? wow ..... never experienced ANYTHING like that ......

20181227_103131_HDR-1-1.jpg

...... well ok there was that one time .....
      gasCostco .jpg

gasWait3-1.jpg

ok nevermind

3PriusMike likes this.
  9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All for saving a few cents, mind blowing! Must be a hurricane coming!

10. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Spoken like a true Californian that doesn't understand the rest of the country. The west coast is the only place where there are Supercharging wait times. If I go on a road trip and check out Superchargers I usually see 0 or 1 Tesla at them. This was even the case down in Miami where I expected to see it pretty full. It was totally empty. Could this change in a year or two? Yes. But will it ever become as bad as Cali is now? Very likely not even close.

3PriusMike and Trollbait like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    admittedly, as a potential owner, i'm more interested in QC, interior exterior design, reliability, service, and out of warranty costs, than i am in technical aspects.

but it is very difficult to find truthful, unbiased, non hyperbolic information.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it's not even all of Cali ~ but, just like their freeways, once you get towards the outer extremities, unless you're taking a picture of your own car, you would think the place was empty.

2017-09-29 13.07.10.png

Of course, if the haters want to put their spin on this type of observation, they will say, "oh, look how Tesla wastes money building all those stalls that aren't even being used! no wonder they are hanging on by a thread, likely to go under next week"! LOL they're damned either yay. (yawn) been hearing it for a ½decade now. Yet despite all of the company's warts, somehow - they carry on - as do the haters. What is it about a company's meteoric rise that brings out the nay saying giants ..... haters gona hate.

San_Carlos_Jeff and markabele like this.
  13. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

I have always been super impressed with Tesla's charging system. It is one of their BIG differentiators.

San_Carlos_Jeff likes this.
  14. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well said, the goal posts keep moving, and seemingly will for quite a while.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they will until the shorters move on to their next victim

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    yep - I think that's what causes vandalism like this;
    20170627_195927-1.jpg

it seems to Gaul some folks that supercharger stations represent change - & they hate it.

#136 hill, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, the rate is reduced on a shared charger but not by half. Tesla is addressing this with new Supercharger protocols, which includes elimination of shared chargers and chargers at 250kW.
    Tesla is building new superchargers at a rapid pace to keep up with demand. They could just pocket the profits, but instead they are investing cash flow into charging infrastructure, among other things and their stock suffers as a result. The makers who are introducing EVs at this time with no proprietary charging system are the ones who will face long lines.

With the elimination of free supercharging on new builds, Tesla is reducing demand at superchargers that are being used by locals who are looking for a freebie rather than using them for long distance travel.
    With pre-planning and Tesla's on board routing interface, most wait times are eliminated since you will be going into an adjacent restaurant for something to eat every 4 hours of travel on a long trip.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Owners' forums is probably the best source.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I adjusted my holdings:
    • 45% - KL gold mining
    • 55% - TSLA stock (just missed the $270 shares)

My principle is to buy low and sell high and don't sweat the small stuff. It seems to work better than the alternatives.

When I get my Model 3, I plan to do some Huntsville-to-Nashville tests. I need to know:
    1. mph vs kWh - this allows me to adjust speed to reach next waypoint
    2. NEMA 14-50 charging - both at home and remote
    3. SuperCharging rate and costs, AL and TN
    Then I'll load up the wife and her dogs to visit Coffeyville KS and Stillwater OK.

Bob Wilson

#139 bwilson4web, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  20. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Excited to hear lots of good reports and insight from you. Will be receiving mine around the same time as you likely.

Will you "hack" into your Tesla like you have some of your other vehicles?