1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$35k Model 3 now available

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by iplug, Feb 28, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Study first and then look at options. I'd like to find out what happened to those 20 miles.

Bob Wilson

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some of our nicknames are, "I void warranties"

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    NOTE; FUD busting ahead;

Tesla Upgrading Its Supercharging Network To V3 For Next-Generation Speeds | CleanTechnica

That little tidbit oughta anger william no end - now that supercharging will be ~2X as fast - as the V.3 supercharging portion of the infrastructure grows & grows. Ironically - a very small % of drivers regularly travel interstate trips ..... yet the notion of possibly even having to endure a wait - regularly gets flung out there for the hopefull dread that it can generate ..... even though the majority of the owners will charge at at home or work -

#143 hill, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    In the last eight years I have spent far less time charging my EVs than fueling a gas burner. That includes lawn equipment.
    That won’t hold for some, but it will for many.

el Crucero likes this.
  5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just hoping V3 won't be free for those owners that already have free Supercharging. That is the biggest burden on the infrastructure IMO. So many only do their charging there simply because it's free.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    highly unlikely - with the few exceptions such as signature models in the future, Roadster V2 & such. Nice thing about 350 amp potential is that when 2 older X's & S's are on a paired set, they will still be able to receive full power on those older models - comforting for the uber minority who freak out at the thought of waiting a few minutes extra. You know what this means, there will be another EV Cannonball Run in the not-too-distant future
    Uh oh this bit of great news, coupled with the $35K M3 availability means the FUD'sters will REALLY be coming out in droves.

#146 hill, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm surprised we didn't see one this last summer. The current record was during a bad cold snap. I figured they could crush it when it was warmer.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    would a version without a glass roof be less expensive, or is it cheaper to only have one sku?

9. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why would I be angry? Why would I want to fling dread?

• First of all there is no data I know of that defines the "small percentage" of drivers who regularly drive on interstate trips. What would "small" actually mean? Five percent? 49 percent? 99 percent? And that statement, on its face is self limiting. If you are in Sacramento and want to travel to San Diego, that is intrastate, yet would require a number of charge stops in the current BEV configuration (One stop in a Prius). Same in Texas. Arizona is also a big state. So is Nevada ...
    • Version 3 Supercharges will still suffer from the same demand issues as the current Superchargers. There is no practical way of supplying the maximum demand rate to every "station" without HUGE costs in materials and demand charges. And no utility would allow such an installation -- it is an INSANE notion. Any promise of a 'maximum' rate, or 'up to' rate is bluster and fluffing. My internet provider promises "up to 100 megabits" of speed. That could any number from less than one up to 100 megabits. When I complained, this was cheerfully pointed out.
    • Many potential buyers of BEVs live in residential units that share parking on the surface, in a garage or in a basement that is not owned by the resident. They will require "station" charging for every charge they need.
    • Do the math. Take the current number of Teslas on the road in the US. Divide the number of "plugs" in current Superchargers. Now, take Elon at his word regarding the 0.5 million new cars per year. How many plugs will be needed in a year? 5 years? 10 years? And remember, many of the Supercharges are crowded now. What happens when another half million cars hit the road?
    I just don't see how a sudden replacement of gasoline propulsion can happen without major changes in cost of electric power, vast improvements in the power grid, a revamping of the transportation tax structure and an unforeseen breakthrough in the power density and cost of battery technology.

At any rate, these are all my opinions based on my view of the world. The one thing you can be sure of is that my opinions are not shaped or affected by the 420 syndrome or any level of fan boyism.

George W, benagi and orenji like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who's taking about a sudden replacement?(n)

Trollbait likes this.
  11. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The stats that I saw, if I recall, are about 5 million passenger car sales per year in the US. 500,000 Teslas is 10 percent. Over two years that's a pretty sudden change of propulsion systems in my opinion.

orenji likes this.
  12. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tesla projections are based on a speed of 65 mph. Anecdotal evidence by members of TMC seems to show that the faster you drive (i.e. 80mph) the shorter the time of trip (driving + charging). The techie people on TMC have performed these tests. On the other hand, the Tesla U.I. will tell you what speed to drive to reach the next Supercharger location once you get below 20% battery level. Personally, I have found it to be accurate within 1% accuracy. I find it truly amazing.
    1. The model 3 is limited to 32 amps with a Nema 14-50 which results in ~30 mph of charging
    It is going to vary and it is going to change. In the final analysis, it really doesn't matter because 90+ of your charging is going to be done at home.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    assuming you're right, it would be more important to know where people are fueling up, than what percent of cars sold are bevs.
    but those numbers don't look right to me. plus, it s the numbers of cars on the road that matter.
    in fact, it's not even that. doesn't matter how many gassers are on the road, or how many bevs there are. just how many are charging when and where.

William Redoubt likes this.
  14. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    *IMPORTANT NOTE: Statement applies to a select subset of buyers with home chargers. Does not apply to the average condominium resident, apartment dweller, home owner with only street parking or older couples boon-docking in an RV in the Southwest. It also does not apply to homeowners with home charging stations (or others) who are traveling near, at or beyond the distance of the range anxiety engineered into their specific vehicle. Home charging available for an additional cost to those who qualify.

Lightning Racer and orenji like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or you can just 120 it. for most daily driving, you won't use more kWh than can be replenished at 120v overnight

Trollbait likes this.
  16. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Because you have a not-so-hidden agenda
    80% of people won't have any idea what you are referring to, but I do. You post like a self-absorbed millennial.

Regarding "fanboyism", I find it humorous than a Toyota fanboy is denigrating fanboys on a Toyota fanboy site! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

17. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you have a link for that 5M number? I think that excludes light trucks and SUVs.
    The number I saw was 17M.
    But your math is wrong anyway.
    The installed base of total cars is 276M. So even 1M new EVs in a year is less than 0.4%

Mike

Trollbait and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to @bobwilson4web

Regarding charging, you are posting opinions, you are not posting facts.

George W likes this.
  19. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not a fanboy of anything, except the Macintosh and the Bible. Not a millennial, either. WWII-era. I just call 'em like I see's 'em. Prius is my first Toyota. Would prefer to drive a 3/4 ton GMC crew-cab towing a Sprint Car for weekend fun. I have No Agenda.

orenji likes this.
  20. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "I'm not a puppet, I'm not a puppet, you're a puppet" :ROFLMAO:

You are ignoring the expansion of the Supercharger system.

You are ignoring the expansion of the Supercharger system.

Evidently, Elon has determined that one SKU is less expensive.

#160 el Crucero, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2019
    William Redoubt likes this.