1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

37 - 43 MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kcoruol, Mar 2, 2014.

1. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Be aware there are several posts here on Prius Chat about Optima batteries sitting on shelves for a long time and then being sold. End users found when checking the voltage at the posts of the battery without a load on it, than the batteries was not fully charged. There are also recent posts where a supplier here in the US has stopped carrying that brand of battery.

The thing that gets me about the Optima is the amp/hr. rating being 38 whereas the OEM battery has a rating of 45. Exide also manufactures a battery for the Prius which also shows a 45 amp/hr. rating.

My best advice to you is this. Measure the voltage of the Optima BEFORE you purchase it. If the voltage reads less than 12.8 the battery is NOT fully charged. If it reads 12.6 or lower, I would NOT purchase said battery. Even if the seller offers to charge the battery for you I still would NOT purchase it. A new fully charged AGM battery should read at a minimum of 12.8 volts with no load on it when measured at the posts with a digital volt meter. If you read lower voltages that means that two things are working against you.

1. The battery is NOT fully charged.
    2. Depending on the level of charge, the battery could already have begun to sulfate.

It is your choice how you spend your money and what product you buy. However it is also a good idea to be aware that there are other choices out there concerning the 12 volt battery for your Prius.

Kishore likes this.
  2. Kishore

Kishore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dorunron- your post above should be a sticky :cool: I ordered mine online (streetsideauto)- thank you for the feedback. I will check with my voltmeter.

Regards,
    Kishore

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three