1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

37 MPG !?!?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efrench515, Mar 17, 2006.

1. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Nah, not a chance about the wheels.
    I'm just coming up on 2000 miles, and the other day I came realy close to getting a 60mpg commute - thanks to temperatures around 60f.

I was in the same boat as you and was getting between 37 and 42 mpg when the temps around here were 25 through 35 or so, but it just kept getting better.
    A lot of people say that there's a break in period as well, controlled by the computer. I've read posts claiming that there were mileage improvements at different intervals, ranging from 200, 500, 1000 and 2200 mpg - I have no idea what to believe, but I think there's something to it.

This graph that I found on the net seems to support the idea that there's some kind of break in period, either for the car or the driver:
    http://www.mv.com/ipusers/lsg/Prius/MPGchart.htm
    Observe how the first 3 months are a steady ramp up, and the next year in January, the mileage has stayed much higher, although dipping in cold weather months.
    Here's another fellow Prius driver who started off with 33mpg on their first tank (jan '04):
    http://www.mv.com/ipusers/lsg/Prius/PriusMileage.htm#MPG
    Look how good he's been doing lately (mid 40s in sub-freezing weather).

I also got a lot less worried about mileage when I saw graphs of temperature and mileage, like this one - drats - couldn't find it - it's out there...

One thing you might want to try is experiment with the reset button on the consumption screen. Oriignally I wanted to keep my numbers Try hitting reset at somepoint into your commute when the engine has warmed up, and observe your mileage... once you see that isolated parts of your commute you actually are getting better than 40 and probably even 50 mpg, you'll start to feel a bit better about it. This also tends to get you thinking more about how you can lighten up on acceleration and coast longer. Another thing to try, although it wastes gas, but sometimes that's the cost of learning - warm up the engine really good before your commute, then hit "reset" and start your drive... you'll see how much that warmup is really impacting you.

Oh, one last thing - mine was definitetly overfilled from the factory, so that might have something to do with it too. My dealer said that it was likely that toyota puts special detergents in the first oil fill, so I decided not to change it yet. I am expecting a mileage improvement at my first oilchange, because I'm planning on leaving a big printout on the dashboard - "Please don't overfill my oil!"

Hope this helps,
    Dave

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For info only.... we have a 44.01 mpg (US) average over 23 fillups with trips, mostly short, in town stuff and about a 10th on the highway in hilly terrain for 8873.2 miles. Tires 42F/40R and never oil overfill. We are aware of the Prius driving techniques and ,whenever convenient, try to apply these but normally just drive as we have our previous vehicles.
    Gary

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

More like B for bonehead. :D

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Our very own TonyPSchaefer's signature has a nice link to his personal stats. His spreadsheet shows MPG, date, and temp.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showuser=1721

5. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

That's the one I was looking for, thanks Tripp!
    Specifically, here's the link to the temp/mpg graph..

http://www.geocities.com/tonypschaefer/Pri...apusMPG/All.htm

Tony, if you're reading this thread - your temp/mpg graph really helped me when I was started and saw low mpg numbers - thanks! I hope it inspires efrench515 too!

Dave

6. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "AC" doesn't mean air conditioner - it really means "climate control". I normally have interior recirc "on" (rahter than air from outside) and temperature at 65.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, it does.

That was the original definition... which still makes sense. It is conditioning of the air.

Later on, people mutated the meaning by putting a slash in the abbreviation "A/C" with the intent of that standing for cold only.

In other words, you'll get a different answer depending on which generation you ask. But since the newest generation will be the first to never have driven a car without a screen on the dashboard, much of the transitional lingo will be lost anyway. Toyota is making an undeniable attempt to embrace the original meaning. So that's likely what will be accepted... because that is what the first time drivers are now seeing.

Do you remember what the term "hybrid" meant when associated with a car back in the 90's?