1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3700 mile family vacation results

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dgw, Jul 8, 2005.

1. NewType

NewType New Member

Wait, I should have seen you on my trip to Vancouver then!! I :lol: too drove my Prius up from California via hwy 1 (long route to see the coast) and took 3 days to get up to Victoria, then up to Vancouver, and via hwy 5 to come back home. :oops:

The car is pretty nice. It is new (only 1000+ miles on it) and we put around 2000 miles on this one trip. I begin to look into the details on my first 5000 miles oil change+check-up.

I get the lower of the fuel consumption range, around 50+mpg. On average, I have about 12 hours or less drive a day, at around 70~80 mph. (Cold/rainy day seems to help the system a bit but I am not sure. :roll: ) But with one full tank, I will have about "3 blocks" of fuel left at the end of the day. Actually, I only spend 4 days up in Canada, and during that time I didn't need to re-fuel my Prius (the gas is a bit cheaper compare to CA!)!!!!! I just told myself that the gas in Canada is not as *clean* as in CA, just a way to make myself happy. :mrgreen:

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NewType\";p=\"106496)</div>
    Would you like to expand on your definition of "clean".
    That is a rather unfortunate statement unless you have some information which might substantiate why you " told " yourself that. :guns:

3. NewType

NewType New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck\";p=\"106501)</div>
    Oh!! By no means I am steping on anyone's foot!! It is the old Chinese philosophy that "the graps you couldn't reach are probably sour."

Does that help? :oops:

But I do mean to say that the Prius uses fairly little fuel as during the whole time when we were in Canada we didn't need to re-fuel. I wanted to understand how the pricing works... it said on the sign "99.9 full service" or something... I wanted to know what the units are but didn't get the chance. :|

4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [font=Arial:67ca0f5c1b][/font:67ca0f5c1b] I took my 05 HSD across country on a one month trip, mostly southern across Arizona, Texas on the way to Tampa, Fl during the Month of May. The blooming flowers were fantastic along the Super Highways. Also took several principle highways thru Ozark Nat. Forest. The car responded magnificently! 54 MPG calculated, both directions. This corresponded very close to the Av. MPG on the Multi-display. Speed was generally conservative at 55MPG, altho I did vary it from time to time. Across a lonely desert stretch I did open it up to 105MPH. Twas Rock solid and smooth. Put 7300 miles on the car for a cost of less than $300. Included in the trip was a self accomplished oil change w/o jacking up the car for ease of access, worked out pretty good. After I returned I had a three week period of short local trips, 5-8 miles and noticed my mileage dropped to 40MPG, with AC on. However if you average 54 and 40, you get 47MPG which is very good. Since most of my driving is trips of around 100 miles I'm trending toward the 54 MPG. Overall I'm extremely happy with the car.

5. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    New Type:
    No problem... no offence taken. Glad you were able to visit Canada.
    I am interested in which route you took to reach Victoria,BC... was it via the Coho ferry from Port Angeles, WA and then on to Vancouver via the BC ferry ? We enjoy the reverse trip to Port Angles then the drive around the Olympic forest on 101 and all the way South to San Francisco. Beautiful scenery.
    By the way those units were 99.9 cents (CAN) per Liter.... expensive!

6. Sid

Sid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sid\";p=\"105772)</div>
    We did it, drove to Williamsburg from the Philly area, then drove around in Williamsburg for 5 days and started back home all on the same tank of gas. I refilled as soon as there were 2 bars left, I didn't want to take a chance on running out somewhere unknown. That was about 425 miles on 1 tank, I'm going to try to go longer between home and work. The onboard computer reported an average of 50 MPG.

The Prius ran great, no problems, except I was always looking for "safe" parking spaces wherever we went, I managed to get end spaces just about all of the time and parked as far to the one side as possible.
    Even with all my precautions, I managed to get a small scrape on the wheel rim of the rear left wheel, I don't remember anything that would have caused it, but at least it's small, I didn't notice it until I was washing the car.

7. NewType

NewType New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck\";p=\"106572)</div>
    Hi Canuck, yeah, we took the bay bridge to hwy 1, then all the way up to the port and took the Coho ferry at Port Angeles. Then at Victoria we drove up and than take the BC ferry to Vancouver. The BC ferry is much much cooler than the Coho (and cheaper). The ferry is very stable, the decks are nice, and the food are nice. Even the deck to park the car is nice!! 8)

8. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Great posts everybody..just did a short 300 each way trip to Hood. Some seat discomforts, other then that, mother nature did its best to dirupt electricals and brakes, with monsoons off and on, flooded roads., and the likes and the infamous forever under construction loop 610 Houston.. The car did fine, 49.5 MPG by console, about 46.7 real world, made 469 miles and filled up 10.1 gals. Good trip and mileage, got only 1284 miles on the car so things will get better, plus cooler weather is coming.