1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

39 MPG - Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Richie Conway, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Richie Conway

Richie Conway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone, I have had my 2005 Prius (non-touring) a little over a month now and have tried all of the tips to increase mpg, but nothing seems to work. 39.5 mpg is typical. The problem is that I do 97% highway miles, with the majority of the trip at 55-60mph (it varies when I try the slide and glide), and a small percentage on a freeway traveling 65-70mph.

I bought and installed a new engine filter, got an oil changed and some new tires when I first got the car- Kohmo Solus tires. They were completely bald when I got the car. I tried to test the 12v by getting into the computer and it said I have 12.6v on the 12v battery (I wasn't sure how to test it with load and what not). I also tested it maybe 2 hours after driving.

I drive on some minor rolling hills. I have tried slide and glide and cruise, but there isn't much of a difference other than when I am going down hill.

Do you think that there might be something wrong with it? Let me know how you think I should troubleshoot the car. I would prefer to do my own troubleshooting rather than taking it anywhere because I am poor at the moment.

Thanks!
    Richie

2. Richie Conway

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I forgot to add a couple things... I upped the tire pressure to 42 on front and 39 on the back.

The temperature here is 60-80 even through the winter. It can get down in the upper 30's on a cold, cold night but that is rare.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, 39.5 mpg is not too flash--47 or above would be better. I don't see anything that stands out amongst the usual suspects.

You are not clear on what tires you now have on the car, they can make a difference.

What kind of terrain do you usually drive? Is it hilly or mostly flat?

How do you measure the MPG--the MDF or do you calculate on fill-up? If you use the MDF and do not keep records, you should start to use a site like Fuelly, as you can work some things out by looking at your history. Relying on your memory is just asking for trouble as people tend to remember details a little too subjectively, which makes for some very bad conclusions.

Let us know the answer to the above questions and then we will see where that takes us.

4. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your mileage does seem low, highway driving at 55-60mph should still yield more like 50mpg on a Gen 2.

How long is your typical trip? Short trips will generally yield lower mileage due to the warm up cycle.

How did the wear look on the tires you took off? Pretty even across the tire, or lopsided?

The first things that come to mind beyond what has already been asked and what you've already done are wheel alignment and/or brakes dragging? Wheel alignment might show up in the wear pattern on your old tires. Brake drag might show up as an excessive amount of brake dust on the offending wheel.

Best of luck,
    Rob

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    should have bought some LRR tires. I wouldn't really want to put any Korean or Chinese tires on my car.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the tyres are probably costing you 3-5mpg. where are you located? best test for the 12v is a voltmeter on the battery after it has been off for a few hours.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  7. Richie Conway

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have some kumho solus tires on it.

It is a little hilly around here but by no means is it mountain driving. It's a beach area with some small rolling hills mixed with no grade at all.

I measure MPG by my own calculations. I also write down and save receipts for reference. I write down the one the computer gives and my calculations to see the difference between the two as well.

8. Richie Conway

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wish it was getting that good of mpg! My typical trip is 24 miles each way with no traffic at all. My house and destination are right off of the highway so there really isn't any city driving. When I get off the highway I can barely hit the gas so it stays in electric and coast to the locations.

The wear on the tires looked pretty even across. They were seriously worn completely bald so it was difficult to tell.

I didn't think about brake drag. I feel like when I have been driving it, it doesn't coast that well, even when I find that sweet spot of having a tiny bit of gas.

9. Richie Conway

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm located in san luis obispo county. I'll have to check out the 12v after a few hours of having it off then.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I can see those Kumho tires are not LRR, so that will be costing a few MPG's.

If your daily driving is taking you up and down hills on shortish trips, even if the change in elevation is only 100-200 ft, then that will be keeping your MPG's down too.

A good exercise would be if you can do a test run of 20 mi out and return back to the starting point on a highway that is relatively flat. Reset the average MPG gauge on the Consumption screen before setting out. Set the cruise control at 55 mph (if possible) on both legs and then report the average MPG reported on the Consumption screen at the end of this exercise. (Warm up the car completely before starting this exercise.) This will give a baseline that will give us an idea of whether there is any problem that may require further investigation. If doing that is possible and interests you, let us know how you get on.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? i'm thinking 10year old car, bad tyres, eliminate the 12v as an issue, and it's probably a matter of wear and tear, just a lot of little things including the hybrid battery, fuel system and etc. you might consider the priuschat shoppe, hybrid battery re energizer. (grid charger)

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Per Bisco the 12v is what we always say.
    Make sure the tires are standard size otherwise there could be a correction factor due to revs/mile.
    In that climate situation we like Ecopia 422 or Energy Saver A/S for best MPG.

13. Richie Conway

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, I appreciate the suggestion, but the computer screen has a different readout than the actual. The readout on the screen said 43.4 when it was 39.

14. Richie Conway

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did a readout of the 12v in a few settings. I did it this morning after having the car off for 12 hours and got the following readings:

With everything off: 12.3

With a load: 11.9

With the car on: 14.2

I'm not really sure how to interpret that, any tips or thoughts?

15. Richie Conway

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the tip, I'll look into the hybrid battery re energizer! Also, I posted the readings of the 12v in the last response, so please check that out and let me know your thoughts. I'm not sure how to interpret the data, but I have the results there. Thanks again!

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12.3 is borderline bad. i can't guarantee it will improve your mpg's, but i would replace it anyway, before you get stuck somewhere with a no start situation.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is a well documented fact and I appreciate what you are saying. However, it is relative and would still be a useful exercise. The results would be (relatively) meaningful, but ultimately it is your call.

#17 dolj, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12.3 V is basically completely discharged. If you have a battery charger, you could try fully charging overnight (12-16 hrs) and see if your battery responds. But my gut feeling is that if your battery has been in this poor state for some time, then it probably is irreversibly damaged.

19. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Couple more things you can do to try and improve your MPGs:

- Spark plugs
    - MAF cleaning

I've had mine for a little under a month now as well, and drive 42 miles round trip, mixed city-highway and get an average 50 mpgs.

20. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have put many sets of Kumho Solus on with good results. There are many different Kumho Solus KH16, KH25, KH26, KR21 etc. Although they are not branded as a LRR most of them have a reasonable tread pattern for smooth rolling and are light weight under 18 lbs. Which model do you have?

I may have missed it but how many miles are on your car?

1. Check/change if necessary spark plugs
    2. Clean throttle body
    3. Change transmission fluid
    4. (x2) Grid charging may help and will extend life of HV battery