1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3D Models

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Shankifer, Nov 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Shankifer

Shankifer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I bought a 2008 Prius, did some work on it to get it road-worthy and it is now inspected and my daily driver.

In messing with the MFD, the *very* brittle plastic cracked, some of it without me even noticing. So I had the thought that I would start 3D modeling some of the dash components - Starting with the Vent Pillars, then moving to the MFD housing.

I did a search for 3D models, but didn't find anything. I just wanted to put a post on the board so if anyone has any collection or has done their own 3D modeling for the Gen2 and want to share, they could do so here. I will put some of my initial mock-ups on here as soon as I finish. I am working on a more "Blocky" design first (Because I prefer that) and then can smooth the models out for anyone interested.

This is also my first post, so, Hello PriusChat Community!

donbright likes this.
  2. tidesofthesky

tidesofthesky Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is super cool! I love 3d printing. Modeling can be so tedious though. Thanks for taking the time! I have a few cracked parts on my dash. I'll be following this thread! I haven't printed anything for my Prius yet.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

donbright likes this.
  3. Shankifer

Shankifer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

First initial run, I wound up using a photo so I'm actually building the smooth version first. Based on all my measurements, it should be to scale. Need to tweak the edges and add thickness. Then I will begin measuring where the Clips go, and how I want to go about adding them. I am thinking about skipping the clips that go underneath the dash, as they are the biggest PITA clips to get out without taking the whole dash off.

Cheers, More progress soon hopefully!

Attached Files:

4. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    that's really awesome. really interested in the final result.

you may know this, but i would note that the 2004-2006 left side vent is actually slightly different than the 2007-2009 left side vent. or is it 2004-2005? anyways there are two different ones - there is a tiny little piece that locks in to the soft piece that fits on top side of the dash board behind the steering wheel - it was modified somewhere in those years.

there are threads about it elsewhere on here with part numbers, i am not having much luck finding it at the moment.