1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 3D Printed Electric Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Sep 7, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: APWorks' Light Rider is the first 3D-printed electric motorcycle

[​IMG]

"The complex and branched hollow structure couldn't have been produced using conventional production technologies such as milling or welding," said APWorks' CEO Joachim Zettler.

"Advances in additive layer manufacturing have allowed us to realise the bionic design we envisioned for the motorcycle without having to make any major changes. With these technologies, the limitations facing conventional manufacturing disappear."

Bob Wilson

telmo744 likes this.
  2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the weld seams, can't see why "it couldn't have been produced using production technologies such as milling or welding"...

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There probably be a bit about the material cost and labor making the old fashion way too expensive with lots of waste metal to clean up and recycle.
    Don't know why they couldn't clean up the weld points though.

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm thinking the frame parts are generated using the 3D printer. Then these parts have to be welded into a single frame using the usual aluminum alloy, welding techniques. Still, good point as it appears the frame was not generated as a single piece. Of course running the wires through a homogeneous frame might have been a challenge.

Bob Wilson

DadofHedgehog likes this.