1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hybridsrule, Oct 18, 2005.

1. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I think this thread should be moved to Care and Maintenance!

I took my car in today to show them what was up. The problem is indeed an air bubble or some dirt under the film. They said they need to redo the hood. I also showed them the razor blade marks and they said they would try to buff them out. I will take about 3 hours.

So now I'm thinking since they have to redo the hood I should look for pre cut film that covers the entire hood. They said they would see what they can find also. Anyone know off hand if 3M makes this? They won't apply any other brand.

2. Trojan

Trojan New Member

Can somebody explain what exactly this 3M coating does? Does it change the appearance of the car at all or is it totally invisible to the naked eye? And lastly, would you consider it basically to be a "must do" kind of thing for new Prius owners? I'd like to keep my Prius looking nice and clean inside and out for as long as possible.

3. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

If you take a piece of scotchtape put it on the hood of your car you will have a clear bra. the clear bra will look just like the scotchtape only it will be one big piece.

here is a link to a site with pictures:
    http://www.invisiblemask.com/gallery.html

If you are standing 10ft away from a car with a clear bra you won't see it.
    If you are 3 ft away you can see the edges of the bra just like you could see the scotch tape you put on your hood. It is not completely invisible.
    but it is a better choice than having nothing or installing a ugly black bra.

Do you need it?
    you will see in a short time (1 month) that you will get rock chips on your bumper and lower hood area. since the prius is lower than most cars it is more prone to rock chips.
    Plus with this new envirormentally frendly paint is not as durable as the older more polluting paint.
    side note: if you see bird crap on this new paint make sure you clean it off as soon as possible this new paint they are using won't stand up like the old paint.
    I used to see bird crap on my car and think I'll have to wash the car next week... now if you wait that long the bird crap will eat up the paint. Keeping it waxed helps, but it isn't total protection.

Does the bra really work?
    I am very surprised to say yes, it really works. As I was installing mine I was saying to myself "how could scotchtape stop a rock from chipping the paint"
    I have had mine on for 2 months and not a single rock chip.
    I also thought if it does stop a rock chip that spot on the bra will probably atleast
    be damaged. But no, I have no marks on the clear bra from rocks hitting it.
    I have been inspecting my bumper and hood with my nose 6 inches from the surface and can't find any damage at all , I AM SHOCKED at how well it works.

Hope this helps,

Don

4. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

It's only slightly visible. It would be better if they made it cover the entire hood but they are only about 18" up from the front. Mine stops at the top of the headlights. So you see a line accross your hood. Also depending on the light and angle you will notice a slight difference between the bumper and fender color (even though it's clear). I don't think you can take a photo of your car and see it at all. I'll take a photo of mine soon and show you. It's much, much better than a vinal bra because it won't scratch your paint and doesn't need to be removed every time it rains or you wash your car. As far as it beign a must for a new Prius owner, I'd say it's more a must for people who do mostly wighway driving since it's main goal is to protect from chips.

5. Trojan

Trojan New Member

I do a lot of highway driving so it sounds useful, but is it really as simple as putting (basically) a Scotch tape covering on the front part of your car? That sounds kinda cheap-looking. And would it stand up to high temperatures or would that cause it to bubble?

6. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You need to read from the beginning of this thread.
    No, it is not easy to install.

7. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I'm not a 3M sales person but from what I know it won't change color and is guarenteed for 5 years. When you go to sell the car just peel off the film and just like new paint.

8. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I saw a Diablo from the early 90's with the 3M on and it still looked good. There was just a little bubbling around some of the edges but for 10 years wow!

9. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was surfing the net and found DIY info for installing the clear bra.
    I also found a post in priuschat.com "mods" section, I think it would be better
    to get all the DIY help in that thread.
    The thread is labeled "clear bra" here is the link to that thread.
    note: my post is page3

http://priuschat.com/Clear-Bra-t933.html

10. Trojan

Trojan New Member

The link to find a professional installer on the 3M site is broken right now. :( Just got my Prius on Saturday and I was hoping to get the film installed before my Thanksgiving trip to Northern California.