1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3rd Gen CV Drive Axle replacement OEM

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kobear18, Sep 13, 2018.

1. kobear18

kobear18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi every1
    After searching and reading many forum and threads, I think I have finally pinpointed the cause of the ticking, rattling or clunking sound. It is most likely the CV drive axle gone bad from driver side.

However, now the quality of the axle is another concern. I heard that most of the axle sold in local stores are junk all made in china. not all products are bad made in china. but this axle product require some degree of skills. And for $70 to $80, they won't make a long lasting for you. The Toyota OEM parts cost $450 average for 1 axle. I heard that the A-1 CARDONE 605392 {#4342047030} Remanufactured is close to or exceed the OEM quality. I'm wondering if this claim is true? Some even say just send the old ones from your car to re-build shop to just re-build it, its better than buying from local stores. The reason is that the length may not even be perfect. That is making the axle replacement that much more difficult just choosing the right one.

Any1 has replaced this before with experiences ??

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When are you hearing the sound, constantly, or when you're in a turn, typically a left or right turn? A failing CV joint will usually make noise in one direction of turn, and little or no noise when driving straight, IIRC.

If it turns out to be CV joint, and you opt to replace it, maybe check out shops that do suspension/drivetrain work routinely, and see if they'll use aftermarket parts, and ask what they'd recommend.

Couple that with the responses you get here, should help.

3. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    cordone is a quality rebuilder .. If I could get at a reasonable price I would go that route vs OE at I'm sure more $$ I have used the CV's from china on two MB's the $80 cost being a bit better vs the $1400 OE.

I was surprised at the china quality -- for $80.

What's the various costs.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You could always try the auto recyclers off of recycle road in Rancho Cordova. HP Motors specializes in Prii, and they have plenty of gen3’s there:).

Give them a call and see what their pricing is;).

They’d fit your thread title too(y).

5. kobear18

kobear18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Its most obvious when im back up slowly while I make some turns. Either left or right will make some clicking or rattling sound while back up slowly. I can tell its the balls inside that joint is making those noise.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Are the boots failed?

7. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Google for Cardone -- under $60. would never go used if rebuilt is $60. Typically, used is a percentage of new ... and I don't always find that's the best way to go. I'm very particular when it comes to rebuilt electrical stuff because a lot of it is junk ... but, Cardone is a great place for axels, calipers, steering racks and pumps.

8. Tinashe

Tinashe New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are 3rd and 4th gen prius drive shafts compatible? I have a 3rd gen prius and got a 4th gen drive shaft. I wonder if they are compatible?