1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3rd gen headgasket / oil issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Lithium MPG, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Lithium MPG

Lithium MPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am a owner of a 2013 PiP and so far it has been a wonderful car. We are the 2nd owner and we bought it in Jan 2017 with les than 25k miles on it.. and have had zero issues with it so far (June 2017) with almost about 35k on it. I am posting because it has come to attention that 3rd gen prius at least 2010-11 models have had issues with blow headgaskets and burning oil under 150,00 miles. I learned of this on a prius forum on facebook and some google and youtube searchs confirm that it is an issue. Did toyota solve this issue? Have any PiP drivers had this issue? Just concerned and would to hear from others!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    burning oil before 150,000 miles is not really an 'issue' unless you want it to be.
    in your o/m, toyota staes that up to 1 quart/600 miles is considered normal.

that being said, the first year of pip is 2012, and 2012 lift backs haven't accumulated as many miles as 2010-11's.
    also, unless you don't plug in, your car's engine runs less than the lift back.

3. Lithium MPG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have been learning more about this.. looks like there are some 2014 PiP already effected by this... some gen 3's with under 100,000 miles too. 1 quart per 600 miles is kind of not chill given the recommended service intervals .. I have been a long time honda (95 prelude s, 98 and 2001 prelude, 2006 rsx type s) and toyota (88 celica gt, 95 corolla) owner and have come to expect 200,000 + miles without internal engine problems as the norm... I drove a 2006 jetta for a bit.. chucked it after its second motor failure..

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it. can you link to some of those pip stories?

5. Lithium MPG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lol i dont have enough posts yet to do links

6. Lithium MPG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It seems the 3rd gen issue a combo several things.. oil control rings , and intake manifold issue, and cleaning the egr valve.. and also the electric water pump are all leading to early internal damage on the 3rd gen engines.. have you checked out the 3rd gen forum? seems to be quite a few posts..

bisco likes this.
  7. Lithium MPG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    believe me, i've seen them. if you are planning to keep your pip for 100,000+ miles, what do you propose?
    some here feel that 5k oil changes solve the problem.

Lithium MPG and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not only have you seen them, you've posted in them;). Congrats on getting to 55k posts(y).

As an owner of a 2010 Prius II with over 156 k miles and going strong, our Prius had a small drinking problem,but is manageable. I change thenoil at 10k miles and do some other things along with experimenting with various 5w-30 synthetic oils. The key is to pop the hood and check the dipstick before the dash light tells you to;).

The other issues cited by the OP, I do not remember any reports of actual water pump failures (but I have been having long days at work so I might not remember well:(). As someone who has removed and replaced the Gen3 mag drive water pump (and tore it apart;)), the weak point in the design is the plastic impeller, IMO. @m.wynn 's water pump at 140k miles looked good, but he was looking for piece of mind.

I plan on replacing our water pump at 200 k miles in a couple of years for the same piece of mind;). But that assumes I don't get a Prime before that (y).

farmecologist, m.wynn, bisco and 2 others like this.
  10. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Is there any recommended interval for changing the water pump? I'm used to getting the pump replaced along with the timing belt in previous cars.

Must check out the EGR valve too. I wonder if blockages are in any way related to fuel quality? The standard petrol here is 95 RON (equivalent to 91 octane by US standards IIRC), which is considered "premium" in a lot of the world. Not sure if just octane is really a good indication of quality though.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One of the problems with the internet is that people are much more likely to post their problems so it's very difficult to get an idea as to whether a problem affects most cars, or just a small percentage of them. Thanks Raytheeagle for sharing what I think is a "no problem" story. My Prius only has 32k miles, so even though it doesn't use any oil, it's not a useful data point for high mileage oil consumption.

I can say that anybody who thinks oil consumption past 150k miles is a sign of poor design should try owning a Taurus from the 80s or 90s.

KevinPluggedIn, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since the water pump in the Gen3 is magnetically driven (seal less design) and not belt or mechanically driven, it should "last the life of the car", much like the Trans fluid. Here are some pics of the water pump after logging 140 k miles:

IMG_0353.JPG IMG_0354.JPG IMG_0356.JPG IMG_0357.JPG IMG_0358.JPG IMG_0359.JPG IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0362.JPG IMG_0363.JPG

With the Gen3 water pump design, there will not be the overt signs of failure like we are used to (coolant seepage, noise, etc). The tabs on the impeller seem like the weak link as it took very little lateral force to separate the 2 halves of the impeller.

As for gas, over here in the states there is something called "top tier" gas. It is not higher octane content, but it has higher detergent content or increased additives that help fight carbon deposit buildup. Does it prevent carbon buildup: No. Does it extend the time it takes for the deposits to build up: Yes.

Not sure what is available across the pond, but there might be something similar.

Hope that helps(y).

13. Lithium MPG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So there is no actual interval specified for water pump replacement... :( thank you for showing the design and workings of the water pump in your post!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Lithium MPG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am aware of the internet magnifying issues with cars.. it is also useful to see what future problems can possibly lay ahead.. I saw this first hand with all my post 95 cars. The fact there are multiple reports of blown head gaskets on 3rd gen models is disturbing.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're over reacting, but we all have to live with our own demons.

Yea Right likes this.
  16. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Yes, we have similar here with most of the main brands claiming to have some additives, though it's hard to tell how effective they are. There's also Dipetane which is a fairly popular additive product here and also claims to reduce carbon deposits, although it's mainly used by diesel owners. I might try it out again (used to have some after my previous diesel car).

farmecologist and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the good post.
    This reminds me of a "comment" thrown" by Honest John about the water pump being "buried", which I believe is false.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 10-06-2017 Part 1 | Motoring News | Honest John

Do you confirm is easy to take the Water Pump out?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's the instruction from the Repair Manual:

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    telmo744 likes this.
  20. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! Yes, I even sent "them" a diagram like that to make my point, but honestly didn't make a difference. "They" responded very quickly that this pump is the inverter one...Someone has a very narrow time to learn. :rolleyes:

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.