1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3rd gen HV battery smart unit(type of communication)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by abdelellah, Oct 5, 2018.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can come up with something I'd be interested... I scored a Prolong charger and with economy discharger used for $200 cash but those dang wiring harness with fan control are $150. My buddy and I have also bought (5) $40 Imax B6AC V2 charges and loads of 12volt bulbs for discharging... So if you have something at a similar price point or even a little higher I'd be interested, as well as many others. :)

2. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    He'll send you the display model. That cardboard box next to the mannequin.

Pixel XL ?

abdelellah likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Try this post here. (I think, since I wrote that, the two-day rate has gone up from $15 to $20, but that's only after staying $15 for a bunch of years, so not such a big jump, averaged out.)

It will definitely give you at least a clue, and the name and topology details for the network technology it's using, so it should easily save you $20 worth of time and guesswork.

-Chap

abdelellah likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What I really want is affordable banks of well ventilated DC to DC chargers so I can charge multiple modules by way of discharging the other modules electricity into them... Everything seems way too expensive for that kind of gear... Or maybe I still don't know how to search for it online?

Anyways, of all that can be done to speed things up, as well as conserve energy in the process using HV batteries to charge and discharge each other is my #1 thing I want to learn how to do at this moment.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's just what I've wanted ever since I had my Gen 1. Why does nobody who designs the wretched smart chargers ever think of that?

-Chap

mjoo and PriusCamper like this.
  6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty sure this would be very simple if you had your own home solar house electricity setup with powerwall storage... The knowledge of how to build and operate a system like that would do this quite well. So it's not an issue of it not being designed yet, it's an issue of adapting existing designs to work on Prius battery packs. There's a guy on Youtube that is using this equipment for DIY powerwall building and I suspect I'll eventually figure it out by watching enough of his videos: jehugarcia - YouTube

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I sometimes have to consciously remind myself not to take on every new project that comes along and makes eyes at me. Sometimes it's ok to just buy a thing, and let somebody else build it. This is one example that I wish were a thing.

-Chap

PriusCamper likes this.
  8. abdelellah

abdelellah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    not possible my friend, physics saying, there is a voltage balance reach point that will make your idea not beneficial, sorry for the bad news.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well yea... I understand that, but if your whole house runs on solar and you have a powerwall to store solar and you're also hooked up to the public utility grid, that means amongst all those coming and going of electrons you can discharge the pack into that systems or recharge a pack with that system. And you might lose a bunch of energy in the process but at least you aren't wasting 100% of it during the discharge process...

10. abdelellah

abdelellah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

in this case check this scenario,

fully charged Prius pack has 240 volts and you're going to use its juice in a 110 volts system (your house), then you can use a 220-240v DC to 110v AC Inverter and plug it directly to the house system, in this way you will use half Prius battery pack power.

mjoo likes this.
  11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting ideas... Currently in the DIY powerwall building scene the key lesson for me is that it's more efficient to step down rather then step up... So building your power wall as 220V or even 440v provides for way more options... But I'm a total Newbie at this and my first powerwall is likely going to be a set of early Hybrid Honda Battery sticks I reconditioned, unless someone buys them...

#31 PriusCamper, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    abdelellah likes this.
  12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is if designed that way from the ground up. Something I have worked with before. It's currently in some very fast cars that the consumer can't buy. In the next 5-8 years it may be in a car you can buy. Hopefully before then, I may have a Prius type solution too.

PriusCamper likes this.