1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3rd gen Under dash leak

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by donzoh1, Apr 11, 2019.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I recently replaced the head gasket on a 3rd gen Prius. Water has leaked below the dash inside the car. I'm guessing this means I should have put RTV sealant on the trim piece that connects to the base of the windshield.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You sure it’s not the AC system drain?

I’ve removed the windshield wiper cowling many times and never had a leak internally.

Might just be a coincidence.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    During the disassembly did you happen to have difficulty removing the heater hoses? What you may have done is compromised the heater core. Another possibility/coincidence is the evaporator housing drain might be plugged allowing for water build up and subsequent leaking.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think I damaged the heater hoses or heater core but if this turns out to be coolant, I will check more in that neighborhood. I have a vague memory of a drain line that I thought was a coolant reservoir overflow tube so maybe that relates to a.c. condensation. Where is the condensation line located?

5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The evaporator drain is under the glove box in the extreme L/corner by the console and exits out to the undercarriage. You’ll have to pull back the carpet to get unrestricted access. If the carpet is saturated in this area there is a very high probability this is your problem.