1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3rd party HV battery very cheap?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by spyogenes, Aug 1, 2018.

1. spyogenes

spyogenes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone in my town is selling a few 3rd-party HV batteries, and the price ($150) is so low that I'm skeptical.

Should I be wary? I have a 2004 with 360k on it, and figure the battery deserves a replacement even though it hasn't thrown any codes at me yet. The listing is on "usedvictoria" titled "Toyota Prius HV battery" (can't post URLs).

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'd be wary just as I would be if I were looking for an engine replacement on a 20 year old vehicle for $150.

It could be refurbished, salvaged (sold as-is) or a different chemistry all together (NiCD instead of NiMH).

For $150, you might as well get a prolong hybrid battery conditioner. At least you'll have your original Toyota battery rather than an unknown 3rd party.

jerrymildred, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    high mileage pri don't need battery replacements, keep on truckin'!:cool:

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $150 will pay for a student to do a module swap on a failed battery. A single module can be purchased for around $30, if you were to do some searching. More expensive if you get what's easily available.

Don't expect this "refurbished" battery to last very long.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't expect any refurbished battery to last long, but one can hope.:)

6. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My prius has around 220k miles I have rebuilt the battery several times There is like not a single original module in there LOL.
    It will need replacing eventually and honestly as long as you keep everything else fixed no reason why you shouldn't go through 3 batteries before the whole car dies lol.
    1650 bucks for a new battery is pretty cool, the catch is the 1350 core charge :(
    btw to the OP what looks to be to good to be true usual is nothing but problems
    My $.02
    terramir

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no core charge with 2k1's battery

8. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I looked at that, Honda used "D" Cells in their insight hybrid and well that thing is being rebuilt more often as it gets up there in miles. Also worried that I really can't find links to the data-sheets for the cells.
    Honestly I see this Happening, first everything is peachy, but as the miles pile on the availible current will drop slowly so the mpg will drop a little at a time due to less ev use and less acceptance of availible current.
    I predict that by 100k the prius will get about 40 mpg overall the city driving folks will have worse results I predict. I only base this on what I have seen about the insight online and the experiences I had with less than stellar rebuilds telling me how the prius performs when it has less power availible. The city milage takes the worst hit in stead of 50 it can and will drop to the teens mix some fwy in and presto you get 30-35 mpg total
    terramir

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, there's no predicting long term reliability without the long term.

dolj likes this.
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess you haven't emailed 2k1Toaster, then. He'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have.