1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4,100 miles on my week-and-a-half old Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusham, Aug 9, 2004.

1. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Hello everyone!

After a seemingly endless five month wait, our summer vacation to pick up the new Prius in California came to pass over the last two weeks.

The car was purchased at Florin Road Toyota in Sacramento. Ray Ujimori is the outstanding Internet sales manager who happily accepted my weekly telephone calls and delivered the car on time, at MSRP, in perfect condition. Ray even picked me up at the hotel across from the AMTRAK station to take delivery. I cannot speak more highly of Ray and recommended him without reservation. I get NO KICKBACK but please say "ALOHA" from Paul, if you talk to him.

We drove back to Michigan following "historic" Route 66 all the way to Chicago. I was a bit worried about some of the high mountain driving but the car performed fine. Just be prepared for the high RPM noise on long uphill climbs. We saw a lot of "ALL GREEN" battery bars and a few "ONE PINK" too.

The navigation system on this LONG trip was totally awesome. Like others, I DO wish it could be "programmed" while the car was in motion. But the voice recognition worked just fine so the POI were always easilly added even while in motion. Common phrases spoken included, "I'm hungry, hotels, museums, and tourist attractions."

Lowest elevation was 0 (sea-level) at Torrey Pines State Beach in San Diego and the highest elevation was 7300 at the continental divide on I-40. Since I found no altimeter, I used my old Garmin GPS III. Dual GPS! Am I a total geek or what?

Highest mileage over a fair distance was 74 MPG on a 100 mile downhill stretch to see Sedona, AZ from Flagstaff. had a 20 minute stretch at 100 MPG! Average MPG for the entire trip was just under 50 MPG doing 70+ MPH with full air conditioning! 108 just outside Las Vegas was the highest outside temp.

Saw a LOT of Prii in California (Ray got 20 in July's allocation). We even had a tideland pearl staying at our hotel in Sacramento. We saw several silvers, parked next to a green "classic" in San Fransisco, waved at a super white on I-40 in New Mexico, and waved to another tideland on I-94 Sunday back in Michigan. The kids thought the Prius wave was cool.

This car is a total blast, but you owners know that. Mine is a Salsa Red BC (#9) and I can only hope you love whatever color/package you bought as much as I like my red #9.

Here's a few pictures for you all... let me know what you think!

http://steel.w8kc.com/CaliforniaTrip2004%20239.jpg
    http://steel.w8kc.com/CaliforniaTrip2004%20279.jpg
    http://steel.w8kc.com/CaliforniaTrip2004%20319.jpg
    http://steel.w8kc.com/CaliforniaTrip2004%20437.jpg
    http://steel.w8kc.com/CaliforniaTrip2004%20517.jpg
    http://steel.w8kc.com/CaliforniaTrip2004%20623.jpg
    http://steel.w8kc.com/CaliforniaTrip2004%201467.jpg

2. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice pictures! Very cute and personal with the family in them, of course. :mrgreen:

3. priusham

priusham New Member

That picture #20517 of my car next to the green "classic" was taken one street over from the "curviest street in the world" Lombard Street in San Francisco. It's like a 25 degree incline!

I had to say that to explain why the kids are leaning over so much!

4. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They overcompensated a bit, then :wink:

5. rflagg

rflagg Member

Congrats on the car, and what a fun way to break her in too! While in Bay City, Michigan visiting family last month I was astonished to see another '04 around town..I gave them the wave but they were paying attention to the road and didn't notice me. If you see a black BC '04 with Virginia plates of "RFLAGG" give a honk and a wave, I'm usually travelling through MI at least once a year!

-m.

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bet you got a regen leaf going down Lombard, brakes all the way and in "B" mode :) Gotta feel sorry for the people living on that section of Lombard, tourists ALL the time :)

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just thought they were leaning on the car!

8. priusham

priusham New Member

My daughters were NOT leaning on either car, they were trying to not fall down the street!

Although I don't mind being an idiot tourist most of the time, I did NOT drive my Pri down Lombard Street :) We just stayed and watched the show! The Prius would have been fun, but there were MANY other opportunities to charge the battery that day! I had to enter intersections on many streets on an angle to avoid hitting the lower air dam on the ground!

9. Mike N

Mike N New Member

Priusham,
    You claim to have traversed Route 66? No pictures of the Prius next to the Blue Whale, or the Rocket Man, or the Cozy Dog, or Ted Drewes frozen custard in St Louis, or the Teepee Trading post in Tucumcary NM, or the Jack Rabbit trading post, or the Cadillac Ranch, leaning water tower, round barn, Big Texan steak house in Amarillo, Sno-Cap Drive-in in Seligman AZ, St Louis arch, the Chain of Rocks bridge? The only bride with a turn in the middle. The list goes on. If you did only Hwy 40, you missed the best of Route 66. Any pictures of these great Route 66 icons? Love to see them.

Mike (WB6IJK)

10. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Nice shot of the Lawrence Labs : ) woohoo, Go Bears!

11. priusham

priusham New Member

Well, the Prius isn't in any of the other Rt. 66 pictures, but I have plenty. Here you go Mike... :) 73!

12. priusham

priusham New Member

:mrgreen: Actually Mike, that post of yours sure brought back memories! My daughter was driving the Prius for the very first time when we past the leaning water tower! All those other sites too... I only took 1600 photographs but you are right, I was too busy looking at a lot of them and didn't take pictures! Maybe next time.

Oh, I highly recommend the, "Buy a Prius in California, and drive it back east" summer vacation!!! Ahhhhh... we DIDN'T stay here though... :)

13. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Paul, great story of your vacation and pictures as well... saw you were quick to put the plates on the car.. and a quick radio hookup as well I assume... I have an old yaesu 101E in storage...probably won't go in the Prius... should give it to a museum.. was a talking mobile in it's day.. have QSL cards from all over the world.. on 11 meter...ooops.. 73's

Bob Andersen