1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4.2 years to recoup premium in fuel savings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cacti, Dec 5, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we got a $2k tax deduction and we've put almost 40k on the car. so i think we've been even for a while now...

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When's the last time the V-8 option premium in a Mustang paid for itself?
    Why is the Prius engine held to that standard, but no other cars' premium options are?
    Because it's the only one that can pay for itself ! For me, that hybrid engine will pay for itself in 1 year and the whole car in 8 years. I bought it for over $2000 below sticker, I get a solid and consistent 60 MPG, and I drive about 28000 mile/yr.
    That's a $2800 per year savings in fuel cost over my previous 20MPG truck.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think a lot of people assume getting the hybrid version means giving up power and performance. It may be true for those assist type IMA hybrids still in production. It definately not true for full hybrids like HSD. Prius performs as good or better than any other automatic tranny Toyota. In fact, Prius is faster on the highway in passing situations.

Most people are unaware of these benefits that HSD brings in and only look at the peak hp and think, "what? 110hp for 2900lbs car?". You know what I mean? That's the power of those peak hp hype by magazine and tv ads. Well, until they go and test drive a Prius, everything changes.

I paid about $21,000 (after tax credit) for my Prius with SKS, side curtain air bags and the backup camera. Yea, that was back when the tax credit was $3,150. With HOV access for my commute, it was a steal deal.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahem. And what's your lifetime mileage, hill? I'll let you do the math. :eek: