1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$4 a gallon coming?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by burritos, Apr 26, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Apr 29 2007, 01:42 PM) [snapback]432184[/snapback]</div>
    The avg for regular in San Jose, CA is $3.409/gal per http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/CAmetro.asp. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showt...mp;#post5107010 mentions that there's a gas station in San Francisco that's selling regular for $4.19/gal and $4.39 for premium. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same one that was the first to break $4/gal a few weeks ago for premium.

I haven't seen a real change in the # of gas guzzlers running around. Just yesterday I saw a Ford Excursion w/only 2 people in it. I see plenty of Tahoe, Yukons, Expeditions, Suburbans and some H2s...

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Apr 29 2007, 01:42 PM) [snapback]432184[/snapback]</div>
    I bet at least half of them had a yellow "support the troops" sticker in the back window or some other pro-American badging. :rolleyes:

3. zijlstra

zijlstra New Member

It's kinda funny that consumer will most likely simply 'absorb' the extra cost in gas that is forecast for this summer. On a different thread about the need for a gas-tax to lead society in the 'right direction' some people argued that any kind of tax on gas would lead to the collapse of the US economy, which in turn would lead to the collapse of the world economy. It's obvious that the US economy can easily absorb higher gas-prices. Hopefully some folks will feel inclined to either switch to a more fuel-efficient vehicle or at the least to drive less. A gas-tax, which is the norm in virutally every other Western country could greatly help in this respect.

I suppose it'll have to be up to the 'bad' Democrats to instate this kind of tax, since the current oilmen in the White House will certainly not tax the product that made them rich.

4. charliem

charliem New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alaskaprius @ Apr 29 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]432246[/snapback]</div>
    I guess if Gore was in the white house nothing would be said about current oilmen in power.Of course you know thats is how the Gore family made their millions.Blame bush ,thats all most of you know how to do.This problem has been comming to head for decades. I didn't see bubba or his pal Al try to solve any of the oil problems.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well we hit record high gas prices (for Western WA) early last week and gas is still rising. we never hit $3 during katrina like most of the country did so our record high was relatively low, but now the cheapest station in town is at $3.189 and my next tank of gas will be my most expensive ever. (highest so far was $3.079 and that was the last tank)

i had originally estimated $3.10 for memorial day, i have changed that to $3.35 and now beginning to think im lowballing it a bit

6. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(charliem @ Apr 29 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]432269[/snapback]</div>
    In 1973 they had the first big oil shortage under Jimmy Carter. The hand writing was on the wall and no one did anything to head off an oil embargo from foreign countries. Every president has to share in the blame, both republicans and Democrats. Who knows where the fault really lies? Big oil? They have reaped huge profits. Politicians? they go to Washington with thousands and leave as millionaires if they aren't already millionaires or better. It's a puzzle but maybe Jack Abramoff has a few answers who knows? It's too deep to ferret at this point.

7. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if the $4 dollars a gallon would necessarily bother me, all I will have to do is downgrade my cable, or cut back on fast food. $26 versus $20 doesn't really hit my wallet that much, i think gas prices would have to double to make me wince. besides its good that gas keeps rising because it will just force more efficient vehicles on the road and (hopefully) greener ones.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John6012 @ Apr 29 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]432306[/snapback]</div>
    ... and a largely pointless endeavour. The fact is we've not done anything up to this point, but finger pointing isn't going to help things. The difference between now and the past is that we can actually do something now so let's get on with it.

9. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 26 2007, 06:45 PM) [snapback]430815[/snapback]</div>
    Im exactly with you here. I didn't even have a payment but it isnt hard to figure out
    1991 Explorer at best 15 MPG
    @ about $60 full tank for about 350 miles (weeks worth of driving.
    07 Prius $25 tank for about 500 miles (about 10 days of driving)
    60 X 4 = $240 + 0 payment
    or 25 X 3 = $75 + $285 = $360
    Difference is $120 more for the prius, but as gas now hits $3 gal that margin closes to $80 and if it hits $4 per gal my prius will be paying for itself.

10. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I just put £10 in, it is 96 pence per litre here, so that is $7.26 for a US gallon. :eek: