1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 Beeps after turning on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mamago, Jun 7, 2022.

1. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Prius folks! I've been searching here, youtube, and basically google for any info about this. I turn on my (awesomely thanks to all of you, newly furbished Silver Sloop) and in 10 seconds, 4 beeps sound. The only explanation I have found is, 'It's your 12V battery.' Well, I just replaced it. {Is there some reset I need to do, for an electrical glitch to "know" that the 12V is new?}

Secondly, 'your battery in your key fob is bad.' Well, I replaced that, too. I have two fobs, both are beeping.

And, some of you know, I'm heading West from VA in my sloop and, well, 4 beeps is a small price to pay for a running rig. However, I'm still begging from the best of you, "anyone have any ideas? Especially if it's signifying some thing TERRIBLE!" Which of course, I do not want to have happen...Thanks again!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have any warnings (door ajar etc), or other trouble lights being displayed on the dash?

mamago likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Where is the FOB while this is happening?

Get in your car and place the FOB on the dash above the steering wheel. Start it like normal and see if the beeps still beep.

mamago likes this.
  4. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well..I did all this AND was dedicated and took 2 videos.

I hope you folks can see them. If not...
    In Ready mode, with fob on dash-starts up, engine fires up THEN the CD player lights go on, then roll through a bit through the 6 discs, then at about 25 seconds the 4 beeps happen. It's the same beeps that occur when we go through the MFD when choosing different options, high pitch 'beep'.
    In IG ON mode, same thing, just no engine noise. But, same CD show and beeps.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Qz3XFE-XNk8?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/oqfJcE7yQxo?feature=share

5. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SFO, no other warning lights, sorry didn't mention that!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the first one is 5 beeps

same with the second one.

7. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hiya,
    Well, the first video is in just in the IG-ON mode. There is no initial beeps to turn the car on (two button pushes, NO brake) There are 5 total beeps.

the second one, I am turning on the car with brakes, to Ready mode. There are the 2 quick beeps with turn on, plus 4 beeps.
    Kind of confusing! But. Both of the beeps accompany the CD lights flashing...?

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anything in the audio manual about cd beeps?

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This might be one of the few times when the AVC-LAN codes might be helpful, particularly in the CD section. There are a few threads detailing how to access the diagnostic menu if you search for them.

There also may be useful DTCs that can be obtained by scanning the car's ECUs.

10. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you first owner? I've had similar with my 2001 which was company car before and they sold it with tracking device fitted. It was making 10 beeps and confusing me for few months until I've found it.

11. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing in manual, which sucks. : (

12. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, AlexY, that's interesting. Second owner, but the guy before was a meticulous retired guy who kept every record and lived the good life in PNW of WA State.

13. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, Dolj, this is getting specific! Love it. And/but I can go to my auto place and they can do a diagnostic test? I'll search on this site for LAN and the other acronyms I don't understand. Yet.

Another thing that just happened-I went out for a few minutes. Came in, dropped my -obviously really old fob-and the warning lights and beeps went on in my Prius. Um. Did I push the emergency red button? no. But, it went off anyhoo. So, had to go in car and enter key into car to turn the emergency off. I've never had to go into the car to do that, before. ahhhh. pressure on, when a trip is in sight! Why?

14. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Boy, Dolj and bisco have been sharing information on this amazing site for a while! I read posts from both of you regarding reading the System check diagnostic and most of these codes which came up below. So much FUN!!!!! Is the universe telling me NOT to go on a road trip???? Of course, everybody and their brother has a Prius here in Charlottesville. So, ALL the mechanics are busy for weeks....! HELP. hahahha.....

IMG_9341.JPG IMG_9340.JPG IMG_9339.JPG IMG_9338.JPG IMG_9337.JPG

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV