1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 gal E85, 5.6 gal E10, 2.5 gal E10

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jan 26, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I am interested in the maximum ethanol percentage that our ZVW30 can use. So tonight I filled up when the 'low fuel' indicator came on. Previous testing had verified we have a 12.1 gallon tank:
    • 4 gal, E85 + 8.1 gal, E10 ~= 4.21 gal ethanol
    • 4.21 / 12.1 ~= E35
    My expectation is it will take a maximum, acceleration, hill climb before it throws a code.

Cost:
    • $3.129/gal - E10
    • $2.929/gal - E85 - saved $0.80 on fill-up, $0.80/($11.72+$17.53) = 2.7%
    Perhaps someone would like to calculate the change in the fuel cost/mile?

For now, want to find out how much ethanol the ZVW30 can handle before it throws an error. I will contact Toyota in Brazil as well as look for Toyota/Prius owner forums to find out what they are doing.

Bob Wilson

hybridbear likes this.
  2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have run 'em at E57 I believe with no codes; it's been a while. There are so many ethanol haters on here that I learned to keep experiments to myself. All I can say is Prius loves running on that stuff ;) I don't think the general PC crowd will give you any troubles as you are a very well respected member. I'm considered an outsider by most [​IMG]

Mike [​IMG]

hybridbear likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks!
    Which models?

I like the idea of stepping up to E50 and skipping the E40 series.

Bob Wilson

WE0H likes this.
  4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    3rd Gen Liftback 2010 thru 2012 ;)

Mike

Gotta be careful as some here have said the tank and fuel lines will melt away as well as your motor will mysteriously fail leaving you with a worthless pile of scrap with a voided warranty. Also there is such a massive lower energy content in alcohol that your Prius will now get terrible fuel mileage [​IMG]

Monitoring the short & long term fuel trim tells a lot how well the Prius software adapts to different fuel. I have a feeling those injectors are kind'a high flow for a stock motor.

Mike [​IMG]

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Keep up the good work Bob & WEOH. With all the bad info floating around about E(anything) I'm glad someone is doing a little research on the subject. All we have in my area so far is E10.

WE0H likes this.
  6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius even likes 105 octane [​IMG]

Mike

7. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I do understand and appreciate being "inquisitive", but saving .80 on a fillup and having 46.7 mpg ... I wonder how many hundreds of miles you drive a day to worth this ... :) (irony)

But surely love to know how far to go is safe ... when "cellulotic" ethanol becomes more common I would do this for the environmental cause ... for now .. just save money not worth it FOR ME.

cheers.

WE0H likes this.
  8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius gets much higher mpg's than 46.7 on E57, especially when driven nice ;)

Mike

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks!
    Perfect but you bring up something I had not considered, the fuel injectors are probably sized for Otto cycle engines of the same displacement. But in our Atkinson cycle engines operate a shorter cycle.

I share your thinking. Switching suddenly from straight or E10 to E85 is likely to fail as the fuel trim can not adjust that fast. But by a series of steps, we can probably shift the long term, fuel trip to get the car up to or very close to E85.

Bob Wilson

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The software appears to be written to handle a huge change in injector pulse width. I don't recall the technical language. Maybe something like MAP window is wide? I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it can handle pure 105 octane with no software mods. My car is in storage for the winter so I can't do any additional testing at the moment. In a couple or three months though ;) Do you happen to know what material the injector pintle's are made of? I hope I am speaking correct. It's been a while since I have done any research :)

Someone also mentioned long ago that unplugging the ECU or disconnecting the 14v battery will reset the long term fuel trim so the ECU can start out in learn mode again. Will it kick out a code right away or just learn to adapt to a 'new' fuel right away? I never tried that as I didn't need to. I could do that to see if my long term fuel trim resets to zero. The last I recall it was at -21. I'd have to power up my car to check that. I can do that tonight if you like. Gotta head out for lunch. I do remember my car was running excessively rich the last time I drove it last fall. I set it a couple clicks leaner but haven't had a chance to test it as the snow/salt season unexpectedly arrived the next day :(

Mike

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Mike,
    I don't know the material but fully understand your climate.

I had not considered a power-OFF, reset of the controller. I may do that after doing a little more research. Sad to say, my miniscanner has a 9-pin connector and I know I'll have to make an adapter to record the data (Darn!) So I'll hookup the AutoEnginuity and see what we get. Then I'm off to climb the mountain, an initial test.

As I was driving around tonight, I realized the coldest, night air will have maximum density. So a hill-climb at minimum temperature will put the injectors at their worst case.

I appreciate the offer and always grateful for offers to help. Whatever makes sense works for me.

Bob Wilson

WE0H likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Last night, I ran the Brindley Mountain climb test with the NHW11. I was planning to use the Graham miniscanner but forgot I need an adapter to connect the serial cable. So I switched to the AutoEnginuity and recorded what I could to generate this graph:
    [​IMG]
    First impressions:
    • Long term, fuel trim varies during drive operation - it looks more driven by the short-term variation and not something that might follow the fuel type in the tank. My new understanding is the long term is in effect the mixture setting. So the E29 (calculated) has resulted in nearly an 11% increase in the average pulse width at normal power range. During the maximum power event, the fuel trim has gone ~8%.
    • Fuel enrichment cooling - we know the 1.5L, NHW11 mitigates exhaust temperature by enriching the mixture and this is evident in the short term, fuel trim. Unexpected, the spark is retarded too.
    • Use of spark advance and long term fuel trim to find peak BSFC - unexpected, it looks like mapping the maximum spark advance may be a better way to find the peak, fuel efficiency rpm range in combination with long term, fuel trim.
    I need to replicate this data with the ZVW30 but my initial impression is long term, fuel trim may not follow the tank but follows the current drive cycle. I understand this is saved for the next start and may be the 'missing link' for the cold-start, 1.8L engine start knock.

Bob Wilson

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    On the PIP gas cap it's says up to E10 only with a circle and a line through E15-E85. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the EVAP system since on a PIP, you don't do a fuel fill, you do a fuel request for a fill.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It says the same on the '12 Liftback and RAV4 & Sienna. Looks like a universal gas cap :)

Mike

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Does your 12 still have a lever on the floor to release the filler door, or does it have a button on the dash that starts a timer?

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Floor lever pops the gas filler lid open :) The timer must be a PiP thing?

Mike

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, the car prepares itself to accept fuel.

WE0H likes this.
  18. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius Plug-in has a new low-pressure fuel-vapor containment tank system which releases pressure in the tank for the engine to consume the generated vapor. That's why the PiP has a button to pop open the fuel door and 'prepare' the car for a fill up instead of just the floor-cable-lever in other Prius.

WE0H likes this.
  19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ultra low emissions :cool: Mine smells like a bottle of Everclear when I pop the cap off [​IMG]

Mike

20. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    1/4 of e85 doesnt throw codes

WE0H likes this.