1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 gal E85, 5.6 gal E10, 2.5 gal E10

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry you got insulted. I wasn't referring to you or anyone in this thread.

Since you said the above I wanted to make sure future Prius owners reading this thread knew what could happen if they ran E anything fuel. Certainly as you stated above we wouldn't want to mislead visitors ;)

Mike [​IMG]

pichner likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting thread!
    My hat's off to the OP.

This is what happens when you combine a Marine with an engineering degree...two Priuses...and a little free time.
    I'm looking forward to sifting through some of the data.

I'll leave the Great Temperance Debate to another thread... :)

BZ!

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Always interesting talking about E fuels on Prius Chat :D

Does anyone have their own personal data on LTFT and STFT running straight E85 that they would want to share?

Mike

5. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bob,

Not that I'm doubting your results. But you let the gas sit in the container, then you put it into the car. That guy at the engine repair shop was talking about gas sitting in a carb, unused, for a long time. My argument is, I guess, that any precipitate and such would have been left behind in the container when you poured the results into the tank in the car. And would have been further filtered, as you used it, by the gas filter.

Just supposing: Put the alcohol-laden gas in the car, run it a bit, then let it set. Now any junk that's going to form will form, and in the injectors and other such places where it might do damage. On the other hand, there's the car just sitting there for a month... Na, forget it. :)

KBeck

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wonder what would or could happen if a car sat for 6 months with a tank of E85?

Mike

7. TwoUnderPar

TwoUnderPar Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is my 2nd post, so I'm new here. I also do not yet own a Prius, although I am shopping for one and will buy one shortly. I've read through this entire thread and feel compelled to make a few comments because, 1) My current vehicle is a Flex Fuel Vehicle, 2) I live in Iowa and have spent time planting/harvesting the corn used to make ethanol, and, 3) I raced NASCAR dirt track series for 12 years including 2 years driving an Alcohol Modified burning straight methanol.

I do find these experiment(s) interesting. Living in Iowa, when you go to the gas station, you will find that the lowest grade of gasoline (usually 87 octane) to be more expensive than the mid-grade gasoline (usually 89 octane) by about $0.10 per gallon. This mid-grade is 10% ethanol, with higher octane but with a lower cost. The most expensive blend (usually 91 or 92 octane) is the most expensive and does not contain alcohol. There are some exceptions in that some stations have only ethanol mix for all grades, but these are not as common (yet?) in my part of the state.

My experience is that fuel mileage is reduced when ethanol is added to the mix. This makes sense - alcohol contains less energy than pure gasoline. The fuel mileage goes down in my FFV the more alcohol is added. I cannot say which mix is the most cost efficient for sure, but my guess is that it's somewhat of a wash paying $0.10 less per gallon for E10 but at the same time getting slightly reduced mileage. I don't use E85 because I don't like going to the filling station more often.... even if it "might" save me a little money.

Field corn is not used for human consumption. It is used to feed livestock and make ethanol. Field corn (what you generally see when you drive across the state) has a different genetic/caloric/starch/protein/etc... content than corn grown as people food. Additionally, after ethanol has been distilled, the remaining material (grain/mash) is used as livestock feed with very high efficiency. I'm not saying that corn is the best source for ethanol, I'm just saying that making ethanol out of corn does not take food out of peoples mouths.

As alcohol content increases, a larger total quantity of fuel must be delivered to achieve comparable engine output. My methanol fueled race car used about 1 gallon for every 2 laps. Fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, carb, and associated items were made specifically for alcohol use. The large quantity of fuel presented problems with cylinder wall wash (removal of lubrication) and increased deposition of fuel into the oil (getting past the rings). The good part was the engine ran cooler and a smaller radiator could be used.

I have no reservations whatsoever about putting ethanol in all my vehicles up to the maximum recommended in the owners manual.

I know some of this is a little off topic but I appreciate the opportunity to share. :)

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the forum. I find I get the best mpg's out of Iowa 89 octane gas than I do with any other state's gas from the Dakota's eastward. Been traveling the country for a few years now and Iowa gas has always been the highest mpg's hands down. Whatever you guys have in your fuel down there works great :) BTW, 3rd Gen Prius runs fine on E85 and blends down to E nothing and gets decent mpg's ;)

Mike [​IMG]

tankyuong likes this.
  9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for chiming in with the good info. However, the part about field corn not competing with food is not entirely correct.

First, field corn is used to produce (from Wiki):

Second, because high gas/ethanol/corn prices means more fields will be used to grow field corn at the expense of other "human" crops. Sure enough, the corn production for ethanol use is skyrocketing, driving corn prices and food prices in general:

[​IMG]
    Even the ethanol poster child, Brazil, is not without issues: practice of burning the fields before the harvest, the labor conditions of workers in the field, and the indirect impact for the Amazon forest and other environmentally sensible areas. If Amazon is destroyed to produce car fuel, I do have a major problem.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings and Welcome!
    Down here on the Redneck Riviera you can get E0 (sometimes...it really is) from some of the seedier Mom and Pop places that like to prey on the FUD that surrounds alkyhaul in fuel.
    Motorcyclists and Boaters seem to be especially vulnerable.
    Other than those places....it all E-10....all the time.
    Since "my" Prius (2010 G3) isn't mine at all (company car) I did a very crude stare and compare at tanks of E0 versus E10 and I saw MAYBE a 2-mpg delta.
    Certainly not worth the time and energy to seek out the stations that sell "REAL GAS HERE!"
    Besides.....have you seen the restrooms in some of those Mom and Pop gas stations???? :eek:

I have 2 motorcycles....three cars, two riding mowers, a push mower, a mulcher, a pressure washer and a genset....and I'm probably forgetting something. The point is.....if there's some kinda cataclysmic event that's going to strike E-10 burners?
    I haven't seen it....and much of my equipment sits dormant for months at a time.
    I respect people who dig into the issue...get past the FUD (like the OP is doing) and try to get some real data on the street.
    Meanwhile....I burn E10 for the simple reason that that's what they pump. E85 is scarce in these here parts and so I don't have a good reason to burn it. :)

WE0H likes this.
  11. TwoUnderPar

TwoUnderPar Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi fj. You bring up some good information and I'm not going to split hairs with you. The subject is quite complex and there are exceptions to every rule.

Having learned to drive a tractor at the age of 12, and also having been involved with agricultural in Iowa for my entire adult life, I will say that your information is valid and applicable, but still does not change the overall general statement that corn ethanol does not take food out of peoples mouths. It was not my intent to convey it did not compete in any way with human food production, I said it doesn't really take food out of peoples mouth. The vast overwhelming majority of U.S. field corn is used as non-human food and even your links support this statement.

My experience with farming in Iowa is that farmers grow the crop that will generate the most income. If corn prices are good, they will plant more acres of corn. If corn prices are low, they will plant more soybeans, wheat, oats, or other. When hay prices are favorable, more hay will be grown. When pork prices are up, they will raise more pigs. For all practical purposes, the acreage used for agricultural production is relatively unchanged. I have no personal experience with Brazil or any other country outside of the U.S. and so I will not attempt to comment on that.

Corn prices were approximately $1.00/bu to $1.25/bu from 1960 to the early 1970's. Pretty tough times when the grower doesn't get any raise in pay for almost 15 years and the price of fuel, land and machinery gets higher every year. From the early 1970's to the mid-2000's, again no consistent pay raise for another 20+ years. I don't begrudge farmers making more money off their corn crop now. The cost of the corn in a box of cereal is "pennies". The vast majority of the cost is in the processing, packaging, transportation, and marketing of the cereal.

Not to add more factors to the equation, but as crop prices go up, government crop subsidies and support payments go down. I think everyone can agree (even farmers) that they would prefer to make enough profit on their crop to pay their bills... as opposed to needing to get government checks in order to survive.

It is a very complex issue indeed :)

Silver Pine Mica and WE0H like this.
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We have some data to show this is very close:
    I've been running E85 (this time of year possibly as low as E75). So I'm tossing codes and today I got some metrics:
    • 40% - long term trim clamped
    • 15-20% - short term excursions
    Back of the envelope, I made the following assumption:
    • E85(E75) -> 40% long term trim
    • E0 -> 0% long term trim
    • 85/40 ~ 2.1% ethanol for 1% long term trim
    • 40-15 -> 25% desired long-term trim value to give 15% headroom
      • 25%*2.1 ~= ~E52 . . . target to give 15% headroom
    • 40-20 -> 20% desired long-term trim value to give 20% headroom
      • 20%*2.1 = ~E42 . . . target to give 20% headroom
    • I did see two P0171 with ~E67.
    • Maximum 2010 ethanol range is E42-E52
    I've got just under 11 gallons of E85(E75) in the tank. When I get down to 7 gallons, I'll top off with straight gas and remeasure.

I also got two flash memory dumps but there was nothing unusual. Also the 'spikes' in the short term memory were isolated, single instances without a ramp-up or down. This suggests there may be something else going on but I won't know until I get more data after the fuel E-ratio change.

Bob Wilson

engerysaver, TwoUnderPar and WE0H like this.
  13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Me thinkin I was running E47 not E57 after reading your test results. I never seen a code in a couple tanks of what I ran. It's been so long that I could never dig up the fuel receipts to see the actual gallons used. It was Iowa E85 though ;)

Mike

TwoUnderPar likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well I have to drive to Tiffin, OH tomorrow. So today, I diluted the E85(E74) down to E53 by adding 4.6 gallons of straight gas.

I'll capture a set of metrics on the way but it also includes climbing the Piedmont plateau. However, the Garmin nuvi records GPS data and combining the data, I can create an accurate mph vs MPG chart. I can also extract some climb data including at maximum power.

Bob Wilson

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tiffin has a huge flea market in the warm season. Well worth the visit if you get up there that time of year.

E53 will run excellent in your car. When you get up north you will find that the Meijer gas stations sell E85.

Safe travels :)
    Mike

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I will be looking at:
    [​IMG]
    A Hirth 3502, 60 hp, two-stroke, oil injection, fuel injection, dual-spark, water-cooled, and geared prop 2350 rpm engine. Consumes oil 50:1 or using recommended oil, 100:1 which means no oil changes. Expected weight ~128 lbs.

It replaces this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    A 60hp, 3200 rpm, four cylinder, 1830cc, converted VW engine, carb, magneto+electronic backup, HAPI conversion with a history of prop flange fractures. Measured weight 172.3 lbs as shipped.

The new engine will go in this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not shown, the wooden 52"x40" prop will be replaced with a 52" electrically controllable pitch prop that at 2350 rpm happens to have exception efficiency. This prop handles the narrow power range of the Hirth, two-cycle and handle some of the unique loading characteristics of two-cycle engines:
    • Too much pitch and the cylinder heads get too hot - the pistons melt
    • Too little load and the exhaust gets too hot - the piston rings melt
    Cabin heat uses waste, heated air from the radiator, no carbon monoxide risk. The water jacket reduces engine mechanical noise. The required, resonator muffler reduces noise and is located on the opposite side of the pilot.

Radiator hot air exhausts out the sides into side-pressure air instead of the bottom improving climb cooling. The radiator cowl flaps will have three positions:
    1. Flight cruise - minimum, high-speed drag
    2. Climb - maximum cooling at 80 mph
    3. Air brake - fully open with 'drag holes' for steeper approach with a little power
    A pressure cowling (or intake air box) should give about 0.40 psi additional pressure, in effect the engine will run with a little 'boost' a little over 1,000 ft increase in pressure. Sad to say, this is unstable as going slower reduces the ram air effect. Carb heat will be an interesting but not so difficult problem.

Even today's electronic instruments are light years ahead of what was available in 1987 when this plane was built. But by the time I'm ready to do the instrumentation, it should be truly awesome. It is nice have a hobby.

Bob Wilson

Robert Holt and szgabor like this.
  17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will have to read the info on your plane. A search of the registration pulls up tons of info. I wired a Searey in the mid 90's for my dad. That plane went down many years ago and is sitting in his shop in many pieces :( My flying days are over after losing a close friend to an airframe failure.

Mike

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks to a Windows XL vulnerability, I lost my AutoEnginuity too but I've grown increasingly unhappy with both. Next week, I'll contact AutoEnginuity and check my options. Alternatively, I may go to the 'dark side' and try one of the Chinese 'Techstream-Lite' knock-offs. With two Prius, having our own scanner makes economic sense. I will confess getting frustrated with AutoEnginuity. Trying to identify the specific ECU had turned into an exercise in futility.

As for Windows XL, I knew it was weak but I was surprised at how visiting one infected web site would corrupt it. Worse was the phone call that attempted to blackmail me. "Your computer is infected . . . " It finally froze trying to install the latest Microsoft patches which was probably their attack target. Just another brush with the thieves of the Internet.

Once I have a scanner for both Prius working again, I'll make a clean backup and disable internet access and it will become a dedicated scanner system and nothing else. BTW, I run a virtual PC system called "Fusion" and recently increased the hard disk to support multiple, virtual disk files.

Bob Wilson

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wonder if you could run Linux Mint with Techstream running in Wine or do it in Virtual Box running Win XP running Techstream? That would stop the attacks from rouge websites.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In my case, I was 'stupid' curious about one of these "pop up" you have a security flaw web sites. They have no effect on my Macs but I forgot Windows XP is nothing but a security target, especially via the browsers. Yes, I am sure I can use other virtual systems as long as the USB device can be assigned to the virtual device.

Bob Wilson