1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 gal E85, 5.6 gal E10, 2.5 gal E10

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jan 26, 2013.

1. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Warning ... XP is just as vulnerable in a virtual environment as in a physical one. Making restore-able backups are essential (maybe somewhat easier). Ideal solution would be if the client software you use (Techstream) would natively run on either Linux or Mac.

Interestingly, at my home I run Linux only for 15+ years but lately my "new" tomtom GPS can only be upgraded/updated on Windows while it runs linux inside !!! So I am runnig XP in Virtualbox (originally Sun now Oracle). Free for private use and relatively easy to use even without knowing much of virtualization. A few jobs before I was running xen based virtual boxes on bare metal very successfully (I just refused to pay extraorbitant licencing fee to vmware) ... now it is even easier.

Good luck.

WE0H and bwilson4web like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Final Report

I've finished with as much E85 and ethanol testing as I am going to do for now:

1) E85 - runs in both the NHW11 and ZVW30 but will raise a harmless, "check engine" light, P0171 code. Clear the code and keep on driving. No adverse impact on hill climb other than it takes longer.

2) Cold-start fuel trim - the initial fuel trim when the car is started is for straight gas. So in freezing weather with the engine coolant is 3C or lower, the engine in both cars will 'stall out.' Clear the codes and restart until enough latent heat is in the cylinders to keep the engine running.

3) Ethanol is not priced per energy content - it has about 75% of the energy of straight gas and I could see this even without a formal mph vs MPG test. This was evident in my commuting MPG, ~35MPG vs normal 50MPG with with these temperatures. If E10 gas were priced $4/gal, E85 should be pump-priced at $3/gal. Right now, E10 is ~$3.60/gal and E85 ~$3.40/gal. and would have to be $2.70/gal. to make economic sense.

4) E55 - based upon measured long-term fuel trim, it looks like E55 is about as high as we can go and avoid the "check engine" light. So if one could mix 50/50 of E10 and E85, it would work. But until the E85 is priced at 75% of E10, it makes no economic sense.

I understand my injectors may be much cleaner. I have not inspected the fuel line filters but there is no evidence of clogging at this time.

Bob Wilson

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, thanks for doing this and sharing the results. However, the cold start has nothing to do with fuel trim and everything to do about low alcohol vapor pressure in cold temps. Simply, ethanol doesn't evaporate easily when cold having high latent heat.

Besides, Prius having advanced emission controls likely uses LTFT value learned during closed loop in its open loop operation.

This interesting paper goes over what it takes to start a car on E100 in Brazil: http://delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2012-01-0418.pdf

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might want to test that hypothesis with recording the long-term fuel trim using TechStream or AutoEnginuity. My experience and observations have been that during the start, we can actually see the initial long-term trim and how the engine ECU has to rapidly re-trim to a value consistent with E85. That with the start retry seems to work.

Sad to say, we are rapidly approaching a time when North Alabama won't have low temperatures to capture the data. I did see it with Graham Miniscanner this afternoon but then I was expecting it.

Bob Wilson

WE0H likes this.
  5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The converter eliminates the cold start issue :) The STFT shows it running very rich on a cold start then it settles down after it gets past the programmed cold start enrichment mode which is only moments later.

Mike

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bob,

Quick question here.

Would it be safe to assume (hate to do that) that a Gen II Prius could use E15 without triggering the check engine light due to the lean mix when the ICE is cold? I realize your testing was done on Gen I and Gen III.

There is talk in the political arena about E15 becoming the standard later on down the line.

I am of course questioning whether or not E15 or possibly higher would work in a Gen II without any type of conversions such as the E85 kits that are being offered. I am aware that other's have tested kits and the claims of no problems etc. etc.

Thanks for your interest and your test's in this arena as well as elsewhere concerning the Prius.

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would take that bet.

E50 works without a code but not tested in very cold weather, well below freezing. E10 in winter blends that often contain butane works. I really won't get concerned until E25 and Toyota could flash code in their current production cars. Legacy car might need a hack above E25.

Bob Wilson

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you Bob for the quick reply and your confidence. It is appreciated and very well respected.