1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 struts, mount & bellows for less than $300

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cnschult, Apr 14, 2012.

1. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the 12% eBates.com cash back is back on today (up from the usual 6%), so I'll be ordering my struts, strut mounts and bellows for my Prius. here's how to get it on the cheap:

order 1: rear strut (#72394 $87) + front strut mount (#90597 $66) - coupon "VISA" (-$50) = $103 + tax, free shipping

order 2: rear strut (#72394 $87) + front strut mount (#90597 $66) - coupon "VISA" (-$50) = $103 + tax, free shipping

order 3: front left strut (72358 $75) + rear strut mount (904990 $19) + MOOG front bellow (k90461 $25) + MOOG rear bellow (k90467 $28) + CRC Brake Cleaner ($3.50) - coupon "VISA" (-$50) = $100.46 + tax, free shipping

order 4: front right strut (72357 $75) + rear strut mount (904990 $19) + MOOG front bellow (k90461 $25) + MOOG rear bellow (k90467 $28) + CRC Brake Cleaner ($3.50) - coupon "VISA" (-$50) = $100.46 + tax, free shipping

with sales tax I'll end up paying $431, eBates will cut me a check for $49, and Monroe has a $60 rebate on the purchase of 4 "OESpectrum" struts. $322 total for 4 new struts, mounts & bellows for a prius is tough to beat, its $24 cheaper for some of you who don't have to pay sales tax for Advance Auto Parts purchases. The only thing I'm having trouble locating is spring insulators, do you guys think I need them or can I reuse the old ones?

The brake cleaner isn't necessary, anything over $3.05 will put you over the $150 mark to use the VISA coupon, brake cleaner has to be picked up from a store, fine by me, I have to rent spring compressors anyways from the store. I'm actually ordering the brake cleaner to 2 different advance auto stores so I can rent a pair of spring compressors from each store, I'd rather spend extra time using 3 or even 4 spring compressors per spring than take the risk with using just 2.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By spring insulator, if you are referring to the black rubber ring that separates the bottom of the coil spring from the spring seat, I would say that you may find the end of the spring has punctured a hole into the rubber ring. If you can order those, you'll be able to do a complete job.

The Prius coil springs don't exert tremendous force so two compressors are adequate as long as you are sure they won't slip off the spring. When I posted on how to replace struts/shocks, I described the use of Sears Craftsman compressors that have locks so that they can't accidentally fall off.

1 person likes this.
  3. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks Patrick, yes I want to do a "complete" job so that's why I'm looking for the spring insulators (yes they are the rubber ring b/t the spring base and the strut). Advance Auto carries them for my Corolla but are out of stock (probably Monroe's fault) but they don't even offer them for the Prius so I'll have to search elsewhere.

as for spring compressors, the ones Advance Auto loans out I would consider "medium grade", they charge you $49.99 + tax but give you a full refund if you return them within 45 days. Like I said, I could probably get away with 2 but since this is my first time I'm going to use 3 or 4 per spring, just playing it safe here. I'll post a picture as soon as I get one from them.