1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 thumbs up!

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by acdii, Feb 15, 2013.

1. acdii

acdii Active Member

Test drove a used 2012 Camry XLE Hybrid, 14K miles on it. 2 Thumbs up, A huge improvement over the 2009 scab we had. Right off the bat, cold engine, in the 30's, once it warmed up and I got the hang of the throttle, on my 30 minute test drive, mix of city and 55 highway, it returned a respectable 41.7 MPG. Very nice, giving it high consideration in place of the 13 FFH.

Then test drove a 13 Avalon Hybrid. OMG, I want this car, just cant swing the 44K price tag. It took a bit of driving, and fiddling with the gas, but I eventually got it up to 40 MPG. Car rode very nice, was quiet, very little engine noise, very comfortable, though the seat felt funny with the heater on, felt like a line of cold air was blowing across my butt, and eventually went away, I guess the seam took longer to heat up than the rest of the cushion, and just felt weird. It has everything my Fusion has in it, and more. The JBL system sounded so much nicer than the crap Ford stuck in their non Titanium cars. Its just too bad, that its so damned expensive.

The new Camry is selling $500 under Invoice, and is very tempting, but that $4000 loss is keeping me from doing it. Cant justify the difference yet.

Anyhow, 2 thumbs up for each car, and so glad Toyota stepped up and actually put the quality back into the Camry that the 2009 I had sorely lacked.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, Camry hybrid can deliver over 40 mpg. Drove LE '13 hybrid for a day and the gage showed 43.x mpg. After 156 miles, it was 46 mpg at the pump. I filled and refilled at same pump. Not highly accurate but gives goo dindication.

Cam Hy much more power and corners better than Prius. Feels like lower center of gravity and independent rear suspension helps a bunch I'm sure.

Aside from my overly long legs hanging a lot off the front edge of seat bottom / less than great comfort in fabric mechanical seat, I thought it would be a great car for the money. It would be the hybrid I choose for $25k or so today.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe there will be some incentives on the Avalon, who knows? :)

Are you getting a 3rd, or finally throwing in the towel with the '13 FFH?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    current tank on our 08 hycam with 60,000 miles, 41 mpg, mostly highway around 65-70 mph. actual tends to run about 1 mpg less.

5. acdii

acdii Active Member

The 13 is on the lot with a 2013 window sticker on it. I am done with that car, which is a real shame as its is a really good driving car. I am just so fed up with Ford's response, or lack thereof to my issue with it, that I just cant drive it anymore. I wanted to get an XLE hybrid, but the rear seat is not wide enough for our purpose, along with a few other things that cropped up during the time we had 2 cars, and no truck, that we are looking to replace it with a larger vehicle that can do the chores we need done, and just drive the 2010 Fusion until it falls apart.

I got the 2013 Fusion based on the hype of 47/47/47, clearly expecting to at least get between 38-43 MPG in it. It was to be my last new car for quite some time and one I can enjoy for years to come, only to find it does not get anywhere near what I expected, and come to find out it take extreme pulse and glide to get 40 in it. It also runs cold, so I wasn't completely comfortable in it, always had cold feet when I got to work or home.

We have 3 horses, and had an F150 for getting horse food, and to pull the horse trailer, but after thinking about it, the last time I actually had a horse in the trailer was the day we moved to our house, the trailer has been parked in the barn. We figured we could get horse food in the car. Well, it took 2 cars to get a months worth of food, and they struggled with it. So right now I am looking to get a CUV, either a Flex or MKT to replace the 2013. I tried the Highlander Hybrid, but it lacks the towing ability that the Flex/MKT has, and they are way over priced for what you get.

If I didn't NEED the room for 3 adults and 2 car seats, and the need for carrying 1000# or such, then the Camry XLE would be in the garage now, I was that close to committing to one. I had picked out a Red 2013 XLE TCH with everything except the JBL Nav. Had the pricing and everything ready to go, but had to sit back and really think if it would work, and after some mulling over, it just wouldn't work. I felt so bad about it I took the car that I test drove and put some gas in it for them for letting me test drive it.

6. acdii

acdii Active Member

Keeping my fingers crossed, I may have a deal worked out to get an Avalon Hybrid. All my deals I was trying to make with Ford fell through. Ford has failed to contact me in regards to my issue, and it is time to get out of it while the going is still good.

I need one vehicle that can tow, and haul some weight and I need a daily driver that gets exceptional MPG, is comfortable and that I like to drive. We need two vehicles, so giving heavy consideration to get the Avalon to replace our 2013 FFH, and either an SUV or Pickup to replace the 2010 FFH. Since the SUV/Pickup will be driven about once a week, it doesn't need to be new or late model, even considering an Excursion for this, has all the room I need for my RC stuff and plenty of power to pull my horse trailer which is a 7500# trailer, that can be pulled with an Explorer.

Hopefully by Wednesday I will know.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck on getting the right cars. Yeah, I'd be fumigating and frothing over that 35 mpg in FFH while Ford is touting 47 mpg the world over. I think Kia and Hyundai were sued over lousy mpg results. Ford might get it too.

8. acdii

acdii Active Member

Well, almost, but had to put a hold on it. I need to hang onto the 2013 Fusion for at least a year or two. Not going into details, but I need to stick it to Ford, and have been contacted on a certain something that is going to happen soon.