1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 Touring Test Drive First Impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by texasdiver, Aug 8, 2016.

1. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've had my eye on a new Prius for some time now. In Sept I start a new job that will have a 25 mile freeway commute and my 2004 Sienna has 285,000 miles on it so time for a newer and more reliable commuting car.

Yesterday I did the Costco car search thing and went down to the local dealer who responded. Took my wife along as she'll be driving it some, although she has a 2014 Highlander Limited so in no need of a new car. Based on the forums I wasn't sure whether I wanted the 4 or the Touring. We do like all the safety electronics that come with the 4 models and are used to them on the Highlander like the cruise control and lane change indicator. So pretty much were trying to decide between the 4 and the 4 Touring.

Only test drove the Touring and was pleasantly surprised. Did not feel like a tiny car at all the the tires were quite quiet on the freeways. Salesman said he had a guy who test drove both the 4 and the 4 Touring with a decibel meter and they couldn't detect any difference in road noise. I was a bit leery of the larger low profile tires on the Touring but didn't find any reason to dislike them. Car handled very nice. I didn't drive the 4 so I don't know what the HUD looks like but I don't want a sunroof so not really looking at that car.

Based on the brochures I thought I'd prefer the light interior but my wife quickly vetoed it. Too "storm trooperish" she said with the black and white combo that she called "unfortunate" So all black it will be I guess. I'd rather have a lighter color like a natural leather such as we have in the Highlander but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I walked in thinking that I'd prefer the silver but looking at them on the lot I think I like the white better. It would match our white Highlander. It will be one or the other.

I haven't studied the packages yet to figure out what choices I have with the 4 Touring.

Oh, and the salesman came out with the Costco Price sheet which was a straight $650 off the invoice. I haven't shopped around yet. I'm in the greater Portland area so have lots of dealers with lots of Priuses on the lots. Don't feel the need to squeeze out the last dime but want a decent price. Is that reasonable with the current offers or should I dicker around with other dealers?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and welcome to PriusChat!

There is only one option available on the 4T - the Premium Convenience Package (commonly referred on this board as PCP)

It adds:

• JBL GreenEdge audio system w/ 10 speakers in 8 locations, Intelligent Clearance Sonar (ICS), Simple Intelligent Parking Assist (SIPA), Safety Connect (Toyota's version of OnStar. Complimentary 1-year subscription).

ICS includes 12 sonar sensors around the car to warn you of nearby objects (think of backup sensors but all around the car). It also includes software that will automatically brake if it thinks you will hit an object (within sensor range) at low speed (like a wall or another car). ICS also includes Output Restriction Control. This means if you suddenly shift from R to D or vice versa while the accelerator is depressed, it will limit output so you don't suddenly surge/lunge forward/backwards. It'll also reduce output if it senses an object but you accelerate towards it (e.g. you're reversing into a spot with a wall behind. You meant to shift into D to leave some room behind but you're in in R and you accelerate thinking you're in D. It'll reduce output so you don't slam into the wall).

3. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks.....

Sounds like reasonably useful features but nothing must-have. I learned to parallel park 35 years ago.

I did notice that one of the models on the lot had nice looking black rubber cargo area liners on the backs of the rear seats and on the bottom of the cargo area. I forgot to ask about that at the dealer but seems like something I'd want. That is the biggest hassle with keeping the highlander clean with the light tan carpeting on the back of the rear seats and in the cargo area.

Is that a package thing or something you need to get separately?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a dealer-installed accessory. It's called the Cargo Tray Plus. It can be added at any time.

[​IMG]

5. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome Tex, sounds like it's time for a new ride. There's a sticky thread here called visual tables of gen 4 packages. It guides you through what comes in each package. It helped me a lot understanding what I liked and what I didn't. I ended up with the model 3 with ATP, all weather mats, and a cover on the white center console. Gray with black interior.
    I would have loved a touring 4, but I'm not a fan of low profile tires. They don't do well when you hit a NYC pot hole. And it doesn't have a spare tire. Not for me. I to thought the white dash would reflect, but it doesn't as the part that reflects is black. The white wasn't for me, although I take care of the car now, in a few years that white is going to be rough.

#5 Gen 2 Tom, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  6. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What is this center console cover of which you speak? Some after market accessory? Because I didn't like that white plastic look either.

As for the tires, I'm ambivalent. Frankly this is mostly going to be a commuting and local city car and our local roads in the Portland area are OK for the most part, especially by Northeast standards. For trips up to the mountains on forest service roads and the long road trips we have the AWD Highlander so I don't think I'll be driving it too aggressively in remote areas.

I've been watching Priuses for the past couple years and been thinking it will be my next car. I held out for the new 2016 revamp although my dad bought a 2015 last January which he really likes. Been sort of thinking about waiting for the plugin version later this year but I don't think it really makes sense for me as my drive is 25 miles one way and my job site has no charging available. So it wouldn't really work I don't think/

I may end up with a 3. I need to study the features quite a bit. We got the most fully loaded 2014 Highlander that was available sort of by accident. We were in Texas at the time but shopping for an AWD and all the dealers only had FWD Highlanders until we found the lone AWD Highlander in the entire Dallas metro area on a lot that was the white color my wife liked but that was the most fully loaded limited platinum edition available. She loves it but now we kind of like all those additional electronics that I probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Think the interior color option over again, black is hotter when it's hot (I see Waco is the past, but still), the light interior is easy on the eyes, well, I don't notice any glare, and when "in" I don't notice the color, only when looking "in" do I notice how stark it is, it's your ride, just sayin..

8. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not sure if he noticed or not but beige is also a color option for the Softex seats in trim level 4.

9. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMO, all the white was a bit much for a lot of people. So Toyota came out plastic cover that goes over most of the center console. If you look at some of the video's and pictures here I think you'll see it. Also look at the Toyota accessories. My car came with that, winter mats and the rear trunk trim piece. I ran my first Prius 200K, That's what made me buy the new Gen 4. The gen 4 is a Prius with improvements to something that wasn't broken. Better mileage, power, ride, handling. And the electronics and safety features are great. I do 50 highway miles a day, and at 64 MPG. I don't really understand a plugin, not for me.

I don't know if it's all people that have low profile tires, or it's just the people I know. But they all have told me the stories about wrecking the tires and cracking the rims. My brother did in 3 tires and rims in a year. I know they look good.....but not for me.

#9 Gen 2 Tom, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wasn't sure about the white initially - but after 6 weeks, the black I've had to dust at least twice a week, but the white still looks clean. It's actually not white, but has a nice texture like the deep paint on a hot-rod, particularly in the sun.

krmcg likes this.
  11. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, the white is convenient and easy!

alanclarkeau likes this.
  12. IAPrius

IAPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the black interior leather and the white center console is a nice contrast I think. Also I bought a mini thing of ArmorAll wipes from Target and keep them in my center console for easy clean up.

The all weather rear mat is AWESOME. I haul my bike and it can get dirty - all I have to do is unvelcro the mats and wash them with the hose.

I would also recommend the all weather floor mats for the entire car - they are actually $10 less than carpeted mats if y

alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.