1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4-WHEEL BRAKE JOB

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Anonymous!!, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Anonymous!!

Anonymous!! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In Northern NJ outside NYC. Getting quoted $1000 for a complete four-wheel brake job. New Pads AND rotors. Clean and lubricate calipers.

Is this cheap, reasonable, or on the high side?

2. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealership quote? Or some independent? Big difference

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What miles and condition on the car? Past maintenance?

I'm not sure I would ever do a "4-wheel brake job" on a car. I inspect my brakes every time I rotate tires, and just attend to whatever is needed at that time. Most inspections go by with nothing to replace. Now and then I'll need to change a fitting kit (around $16), usually on the rears. Last time, I did also change pads and rotors, on the rear. That was at close to 160,000 miles. Fronts were still in quite good condition for the time being..

Did this shop show you that all four wheels need that work at this time?

4. Anonymous!!

Anonymous!! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car has 126,000 miles. Four places (first dealer, second dealer, chain shop, local shop) say it needs all 4 rotors replaced, along with pads, and quote around $1,000 all-in. They talk about rusted rotors and I think they said rear pads were fused to rotors. Car is parked outside all the time, often on an incline. Not used that much many days since COVID.

At 87,000 miles, 4years ago, first dealer replaced pads but just machined rotors.

No one showed me anything. In 2018 I just took word of first dealer.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If pads are fused to the rotors the wheels won't turn.

More likely something like the caliper slide pins (which hold the caliper while allowing it shift shift side-to-side) are corroded, not sliding properly.

Some repair manual info attached.

Attached Files:

Grit likes this.
  6. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Knowing new jersey and how far money doesn't go in that state it seems about right. Its about $450 in the south which will probably be your cheapest prices. But i guarantee every bolt and pin is welded in place lol. Its gonna be a tough brake job. I've worked on cars from the north before and it took a hot wrench, 6' steel pipe, and a scissor jack to break some bolts loose. It might even take a 10ton press to get your sliding pins out! :eek:
    Thats what scares me about working on other peoples cars half the time. Once you go above the mason dixon line the cars fall apart lol. The ironic part is the rust holds them together if im using irony right.
    Just go get 3 quotes locally. Tell them you want new centric painted rotors and some akebono ceramic pad kits put on and everything greased and lubed.

7. Anonymous!!

Anonymous!! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By now I've been to 4 mechanics.

All say I need new pads and rotors all around, with slightly different reasons why. All want about $1000 for the job.

I was posting here to see if pricing seemed fair. AND ALSO to see if it's true what I heard somewhere -- that priuses get to around 140,000 before they need anything done with brakes. My experience is I 'needed' new pads and machined rotors all-around at 87,000 miles about 4 years ago -- and now this. And I do NOT 'ride' the brakes.

8. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    its because you probably don't keep the brakes lubed so now you know for future reference. Have the brakes cleaned and lubed every 2-3 years like toyota intended and you should be good for the entire life of the car on the original brake pads

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    mmmm all this was discussed in your other discussion section.....

10. Anonymous!!

Anonymous!! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I put this one up before the other. And anyway I do want to quickly capture as many knowledgeable opinions as possible.

Paladain55 likes this.
  11. Anonymous!!

Anonymous!! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thanks -- I like your drift.

So it's important that I use specific brands -- Centric and Akebono -- and that the rotors be painted and the pad kits ceramic?

Also...

Would appreciate your take on the rest of the situation Iā€™m facing right now:

First dealer says on top of brakes I also need sway bar links. Second dealer says I don't need anything but brakes. Local shop says I also need swaybar links and struts. Chain place says says no problem with swaybar links or struts ā€“ but right front axle is broken. No one else mentions axle.

First problem is figuring out which mechanic knows what he's doing. And everything seems too expensive. At the local shop, the 2 struts are $825 and the 2 swaybar links $167. Just the parts themselves ā€“ labor is $550.

Just to illustrate the pricing approach further: these guys quoted between $150 and $250 to replace each TPMS unit. I just had them replaced at Costco for $60 each.

12. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    take a picture of your struts near the lower portion of the shiny rod part where the plastic bellows are. If its leaking thats kinda how you would know its bad besides bouncing off pot holes and having a bouncy ride. But the struts are pretty good on these cars. Mine are fine at 200k+. I doubt they are bad but its possible. I would take a picture of the endlinks. I don't replace them typically unless they are making noise. Right axle boot is probably leaking and not broken. Don't replace the axle for a piece of crap aftermarket replacement. If it needs it replace the boot with a toyota boot and add more grease.
    Centric and akebono like i said are just good price and good quality. The painted rotors will help with not rusting so fast.
    It does sound like they are hungry mechanics trying to do too much work on a cheap car.

13. Anonymous!!

Anonymous!! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do hear a creak from the front -- when I'm backing out of my driveway very slowly with front wheels turned somewhat. There's a minor bump as I go over a curb and the car always creaks like something is stretching. Not very loud or sustained, but it's there.

I took a bunch of pictures under the right and left front wheels. Let me know if they show you anything.

Attached Files:

14. Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about a mobile mechanic who will come to you and do the brake job? A mechanic who needs work may do it for a cheaper price.

Did you check craigslist website in the NJ area? Type "mobile mechanic" in the search box. My two cents. Good luck.