1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

400,000 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kory Matthew, Aug 21, 2012.

1. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Go for the Prius.:) H

usnavystgc likes this.
  2. Kory Matthew

Kory Matthew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I screwed that last post up, I'm doing this on my phone and it's not easy. I am getting 28-30 in my Camry and my fuel savings were based on 40 mpg for the Prius. I just did rough numbers to make the calculations easier in my head, not fully knowing what to expect with the Prius.

Priuscamper - I have never been stuck or had to be towed out of a ditch. I have never even been in the ditch in the winter time. I have also never been in an accident in the winter time. Defensive driving is a real thing, and we would all be a lot safer if everyone practiced it.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OK, lets take 29 mpg for the Camry, 45 mpg for the Prius. The Prius might average 50 mpg year-round, but I'm not sure about those Dakota winters.

225,000 miles is 5000 gallons in the Prius, 7759 gallons in your Camry. Prius saves 2759 gallons in the ~ 3 years you will keep the car, or 77 gallons a month. Using $3.5 a gallon, that is $270 fuel savings a month.

Camry -- no
    Another car with better mpg -- maybe. Look at the list in my earlier post.

minkus likes this.
  4. rwyckoff

rwyckoff Phev's Plus Home Solar power1

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Daughters boyfriend, who is also a currior, has also gotten 400k miles on at least two Camray's, without major repairs.

"2 fas for u" got 465K miles in 3 years on his 2009 Prius, as a currior in Ariz, and it was still going, although it was using oil. But if you get a 2008 expect at least one major repair. The gas savings should pay for it. The OP hasn't said how fast he drives, so nobody knows if he is going to get 38mpg or 50. Figure max of 46 if you drive 70mph mostly.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I totally agree with this.

My cousin has a Camry and it's a reliable car, but around town she's lucky to get 23 to 24 MPG. Under these conditions the Prius can easily get double the MPG of the Camry. At freeway speeds however, things will start to level out, but I'd still expect 50% better MPG from the Prius.

So for the OP, depending on his exact driving conditions, he should expect to save between 1/3 and 1/2 of whatever is his current fuel bill.

6. Kory Matthew

Kory Matthew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For about 2/3 of my day I am driving 70 or less and about 1/3 is 80mph. My stops are all timed and I have to finish my day before a certain time so if I'm running behind I do have to step on it, but if I'm even getting 15mpg better that is a significant savings. I do expect to have a major repair or two and do plan for those occasions, but this is a significantly better vehicle with far less wear and tear than any vehicle I have purchased before so between that and all the good things I'm hearing on here, I expect to have a good experience with the Prius if I decide to purchase it.

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Given those driving conditions and the high mileage on the Prius you are considering, I would expect your fuel economy to be lower than most who post on this site. I'm thinking the lower 40s would be a more accurate number, overall. If you are driving a considerable number of highway miles at 70mph or less, all of that should be in the 50MPG range, even on an older car in rough conditions. Winter will take you down, but having the car always warm and running will give you better chances for higher MPGs. It also will take its toll on the transmission and the oil. You may want to be certain to have the transmission fluid checked (replaced isn't too costly) and then run oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals with an extended life synthetic. It is, after all, a small 4-banger, even if the load is light.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Changing the ATF is excellent advice. Also easy and inexpensive to DIY.
    I personally would be comfortable running a good synthetic at 10k mile oil change intervals for the engine oil.