1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

440 MILES FROM START - only 44 MPG - SHOULD I BE WORRIED?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by felixm0510, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Merged your two posts that are the same OP, please do not go asking the same question in two different forums. Thanks.

2. LtCannonFodder

LtCannonFodder New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I got 60.0 for a moment last night on my first route of run away gas prices , last Thursday night I filled up with $4.09 last night ,off Monday holiday , last night $4.37 ,Turlock arco back 7-11 $4.39 , Delhi CA
    $4.49 in Fresno , lets see if it goes up of down , a couple station had dropped 0.2 here an there .
    59 mph was about the whole 404 miles = $31.58 usually $31.30 .

I'm wondering if he broke in his Prius ? I've got 36,643 and its easy to get high mileage , get behind a truck , I stay back just seeing both of the truckers mirrors , that way our CHP won't pull you over , I punch the Mileage buttons on an off to accordance to what I'm doing , starting away , off , once I'm up to speed I punch it on . Oh , never use by your brakes , well , to stop if course , but that's the only time ! Steady planning 15 seconds ahead will give you a route where you won't have to jam on the throttle an burn 'gas' ! Let everyone rush up to the next signal and they'll change that light for ya an you can cruse right thru ! I drive barefooted an use my big toe to brake and use the throttle to 'feel' the power etc an it really helps to feel your Prius C 'how cool my car is' !

3. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    And this is one of the good things about plugin hybrids. With an appropriately sized battery, your short trips can be in EV mode so you can avoid starting up a cold engine. Multiple short trip segments in an EV during the day are about as efficient as a single longer trip (as long as you don't need to use the electric heater) yet you still have a gas engine around for long highway drives.

4. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    What you are looking at is neither the odometer nor the overall average mileage, even though that's what you think it is. When the display is set on ODO (as opposed to Trip A or Trip B), the mpg it shows is per trip--that is, from the moment you turned the car on to when you turned it off. SO it is showing 99.9 because you are able to move a little bit using just battery power. Then it very quickly reduces when the ICE comes on and starts it's warm up stages. Once it gets through warming up, and you continue driving, the mpgs will begin to creep up.

The only way to show the lifetime average mpg is to never reset one of the Trip meters (and hope it doesn't get reset during maintenance)

5. james cook

james cook Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i haven't had a tank go over 410 miles yet... this car is a let down

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What were you expecting and why? How many gallons did you put in on that 410 mile tank or other tanks?

7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    According to your Fuelly MPG, if you ran the tank down to empty (which would mean you used 9.5 gallons), that would be a 460 mile tank.

Miles per tank is fun but irrelevant - you should find your MPG improving as you get used to driving the car and it does a little breaking-in, and that's all that matters.

8. felixm0510

felixm0510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Ashley answered my questions. Thanks Ash.

9. felixm0510

felixm0510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    okay MENDEL thanks - i am averaging 48 mpg now

10. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Defiantly sounds normal my first tank was only 47 MPG and when I got it it was a cold day. But over the summer is when it shined having easy 55+ MPG days! Sometimes 60 with no AC. The best mileage I ever got OVERALL was 52.7 and now its getting cold I'm at 51.9

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But you didn't answer mine.

Also, did you read about the EPA test via the links I pointed you to?

12. CAlbertson

CAlbertson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I'm getting well over 50 mpg and I have the same mileage as you. That is based on the trip computer as I have yet to put any gas in the car. I'm still on the first tank of gas the dealer gave me. But my average is over 55 mpg.

One thing that wil REALLY lower the mpg is short trips. The firstmiles uses a "ton" of gas jsut to heat the engine and run the AC to coll the car. After that mpg goes way up. So if all your trips are under 5 or so miles your mpg sounds about right.

13. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have over 40 fill-ups over 17,000 miles and have recorded a tank at 44.4 MPG and one at over 80 MPG. After the car is reasonably broken-in, the mileage you get is determined by the way you drive, tire PSI, AC and/or heat on or off, terrain, wind, road sufaces, speed, acceleration (fast or slow) and how you stop. That's all there is to it.