1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

480 mile range...wow...

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by gbarry, Jan 30, 2011.

1. gbarry

gbarry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got done listening to the podcast "What Drives Us Special Episode #2 _ Prius Family Reveal", which heavily featured the v. There was a Q & A session towards the end, and someone asked what the range would be. The rep answered, "Well, the tank holds 11.9 gallons, so at 40MPG, ...". This caused me to smack my face with my palm, because that was such a "salesman answer". At that point, I flashed back to my first look at a Gen III, wherein the sales dude did the same thing (with a bonus mistake of thinking it had a 15 gallon tank). It took me awhile to get used to being able to "only :)" go 450 miles before refilling.

As most forum readers know, if you drive a Gen III "by the book", you will be putting about 9.6 gallons in at refuel time. And those who have read the threads on possible range know that most people considering trying to push the tank to empty are regarded as ill-advised, irresponsible, stupid, (and California probably has a law against it :) ).

Let's just say I wanted to call attention to that "unfortunate moment" in the presentation.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True but that is still the range of the car even if no one would drive it til the tank is dry.

The official range for the Prius is "over 1,000kms". Some countries peg it at 1,150km or 720 miles. The closest I've gotten is 915km (572 miles) but a few members here have put over 1,000km per tank in the summer. Without the rubber bladder, it's a lot easier to know how much fuel is left in the tank. With the 2005, the best I've gotten is 902km (563 miles) but that took a long time to do while I got 915km within a year of ownership (and the tyres aren't even broken in because I bought it in Aug 2009 and put on winter tyresin Oct 2009 until March 2010.