1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4G Prius Features & Specifications (2016-?)

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes and no.

The model year signifies a set of features and options so you know if you're buying a 2018 (doesn't matter if it was from Jan 2017 or June 2018), you know what the specs are (unless there was a 2018.5 model or some other minor update).

Legally, they're allowed to signify the following model year as early as January. So January 2018, you may see 2019 models. It's all up to marketing and sales projection. If they believe the car will sell well, there's no need to release it early with the following model year designation.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Maybe Tesla has it right in this area. The cars are all the same for numerous years, even during major updates - 2wheel/AWD - old/new front face - metal/glass roof etc. So whatever year it's built is the year it is. Seems less daunting a task to figure out that way.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is not quite true either. My 2017 is missing features added mid-year. I do wish I had those missing safety features.:(

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, as you all know the shape is the visual difference between the Gen 4 and its predecessors. Therefore, mine's a Gen 4. It was ordered, manufactured and delivered in 2016, so it's a 2016 model. Our UK models have a named specification range e.g. mine is a Business Edition which has all the standard features of the Business Edition with no other Toyota modifications added. We don't have specific model years, unless the specifications/features of a particular model are amended - which is unlikely at best! Hope that helps you understand our methodology. If it's a simple thing, keep it simple!

#44 RCO, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  5. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What safety features are you missing that I have in my Aug 17 built version?

6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not have the no-charge Safety Plus package that includes BSM, RCTA, ICS, IPA. It was not even available as an option and is now added at no cost.

Mark57 likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My post was assuming you have a Prius Two. Your Prime Advanced has many more differences, including a different battery chemistry. Mine has the NiMH battery.

Mark57 likes this.
  8. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted that before I noticed you had a P Two. My bad.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The list is much longer then. Although the Prime is similar to the Gen 4 Liftback, there are obvious differences.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a very rare case (and technically they could've called it a 2017.5 if they wanted to).

Right. So if someone lists a 2016 and I know nothing about cars, I would see one ad and presume all 2016 models looked like that? Wouldn't that lead to some confusion?

Or say you do know which body style you want and you choose 2016 as the year in a drop-down menu, then you would see search results of both generations in the classifieds, correct?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Firstly, there may be a confusion over the model year as you say and I'm inclined to think that anyone not knowing the difference between the Gen 3 and Gen 4 would not be concerned. A salesman might draw attention to the fact but a private seller might not, caveat emptor! However if the buyer wanted a Gen 4 but asked for a 2016, the wrong shape would be a dead giveaway!

Secondly, I think I've said enough.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the US there are 3 variants for standard equipment on each Gen 4 trim. 2017 added the TSS-P safety features as standard. 2017.5 added TSS Plus safety features too, technically as a no charge option but they do not make the car without that option.
    Calling all 3 2016 would add to the cunfusion if the UK adjusted features in a similar fashion.

13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I beg to disagree. We have four models of Prius
    1. Active
    2. Business Edition
    3. Business Edition Plus
    4. Excel
    Total of 4 different models
    ( Prius | Models & Specifications | Toyota UK )

USA has a
    1. 1
    2. 2
    3. 2 Eco
    4. 3
    5. 3 Touring
    6. 4
    7. 4 Touring
    Total of 7 different models

I have noticed more confusion on here with American people confused over which American Prius has what features, but that has not happened with the UK Prius. So, we can safely refer to a model year and be confident that they're pretty much the same..KISS!

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My point is there are 3 Trim Two Prius, for example, with differing standard features. If they were all labeled s 2016, that would add to the confusion.

15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, but that's why I suggest our UK system is possibly better than the American one. (n)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do the features remain the same throughout the whole generation? Toyota is fond of making changes from year to year.

RCO likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't say for sure, because I don't check regularly, but in general, I think yes!

Tideland Prius and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. GoodOldBob

GoodOldBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Too bad the "infrared reflective paint" (Japan only) isn't available here in the USA South. We have a LOT of those Infra-reds floating around down here; making extra loads on our A/C systems. And (for old folks) getting Senator McCarthy upset!