1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4k Miles to 100k - Double checking what's to be done!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DevChatt, Apr 18, 2017.

1. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi Guys,

I'm getting very close to 100k on my 06 prius...baught it at 80k....would like to double check based on the sticky if i grabbed everything that I believe needs to be done:
    - Transaxle fluid...i believe this was done during my last service...had to replace the water pump dude to a leak and there was a seal issue with transaxle fluid which has been fixed....i believe the remedy they had to do included a transaxle drain and fill...will double check and call dealership.
    - Serpentine Belt ---how often does this need to be done? I probably should do this too...did get it called up.
    -Clean brakes...upcoming...should this be done at the dealer or anywhere else?

What else am i missing?
    I am not sure if the following 60k service has been done...is there any way to check readily?:
    -PCV valve replacement

2. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Welcome! According to the maintanence schedule (http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/06ToyALLMS_MS0012/pdf/61w1smt.pdf), the major service needed at 100K miles is replacing the engine and inverter coolant. It wouldn't hurt to do a brake flush if it hasn't been done yet. Same with the transaxle fluid drain and refill after you double check it. When was the 12v auxiliary battery last changed? If it has never been replaced, I would recommend doing it soon. A bad 12v battery can give you all sorts of trouble.

DevChatt likes this.
  3. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello,
    Thank you and Thanks also for the assistance!
    a few things:
    I checked with the shop what they did regarding the transmission: they topped off the fluid post the seal leak. Hence I'm gonna have another independent dealer double check the fluid and see if it is in need of replacement...probably is and probs will get it done.
    I assume when replacing the water coolant, they replaced the engine coolant...(does this imply they changed the inverter coolant or are these different things?).

Regarding the brake flush...what does it do? I ve never done that on previous cars so i'm curious.

I'm not sure when the 12v battery has been changed, but i quickly did the diagnostic check and it seems to be within good range with all accessories on atm...so i may wait on it or the previous owner has indeed changed it.

Thank you!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is the 12 voltage with everything off? brake fluid becomes contaminated over time, and the condensation corrodes all the systems. follow the proscribed toyota schedule. have you inspected the brakes and lubed the front caliper slide pins?

DevChatt likes this.
  5. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It was 12.5 i believe off the top of my head (or 12.4).
    Perfect. Will do the brakes too!!!

IS the brakes somewhere i can trust with pretty much everyone or not?

I def know the transmission should be done with someone who is familiar (probs gonna just dealer it).

I haven't inspected the brakes in a while...will have it done at the next oil change for sure.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the brakes can be done by any qualified technician, but i emphasize qualified.

DevChatt likes this.
  7. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Cheers! Thanks mate!

8. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Changing the transaxle fluid is just like an engine oil change. More difficult access, but no filter to change. You should use the Toyota WS fluid at $10/quart. Buy four quarts at Toyota and DIY or bring it to your mechanic.

DevChatt likes this.
  9. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yep i'll bring it to a mechanic. SHould it be the dealer or can i go to anyone?

10. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Might as well order the fluid from Amazon. $39 for 4 quarts delivered. Same as dealer minus the trouble.

11. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    but is it difficult to do the drain and fill?

12. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll let you know after the weekend but I bet the hardest part is going to be getting the car up high enough to get under there. I plan to change the transaxle fluid and coolant this weekend.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yesterday I went to the dealer to ask about the brakes on my 07. There making a little tinny sound when applied like the back plate on the pads is moving around up front. Mostly concerned about the slider pins lubrication. Dealer quoted me $200 to replace the pads all around and clean the pins and the calipers and my rotors look so smooth and uniform not necessary to replace. I've done lots of brakes on other cars but too tired to do this in the driveway right now especially since I know I'll end up with a barking back.
    I asked the service advisor about a brake fluid flush since I'm at 110K and he said and I quote:
    "We have seen so many Prius abs units fail when we flushed the brake fluid we no longer do it. Very finicky."

This is a big dealership too. Its where I bought the car new. They see hundreds of Prius and have trained Prius techs. I talked to this guy for quite a while and he knew what he was talking about on a Prius no stupid salesman gibberish I usually hear. I also asked about the hybrid battery cost. He said they don't do rebuilds some dealers do we don't. Its alot of work and sometimes doesn't go well and from what he hears alot of them aren't making the 1 year warranty. We sell the brand new factory pack 3 year warranty and everyone drives away happy and no returns. $3300. out the door.

timmyjane likes this.
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not particularly. Comparable in difficulty to an engine oil change. Just ensure you have all the right tools and you'll be fine.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think the opposite. As much as I dislike patronizing my local dealer, I do like having them there in case I need them. And the guys that work there are my neighbors. So if the price is that close, I buy local.

And if I pay local sales tax, I support some stuff I use all the time.

I hate to sound righteous, because when faced with an OEM clockspring for $250 or an eBay knockoff for $30 (which has been working fine for years), guess what I did?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can understand that. I bought my fluids from the dealer but it was inconvenient. It was a special out of the way trip. For the trouble I was hoping to save a few bucks but I didn't. Amazon charges sales tax for my purchases so that doesn't play a role in my decision making.

My eBay clock spring crapped out after only a few weeks. They sent another and the same thing. I pulled one from the junkyard. How long has yours been working? I don't think mine was even $30 though, more like $15.

17. Kamaloha

Kamaloha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just did the tranny fluid and it was a completely trivial task. I used 4" wheel ramps, you don't need to get the car up very much to get under there. When you purchase the ATF WS, consider getting new crush washers for the plugs at a couple of bucks each. I did because it was convenient but if they hadn't been in stock I would not have had any heartburn reusing the old ones, they looked fine. To do the job to spec requires a torque wrench when you put the plugs back in (29 ft lbs for both). Then I had to get a piece of vinyl tubing to extend my funnel to refill it. (two feet is enough). You will need a 24 mm socket and a 10 mm allen wrench socket. I already had the former, and the latter was $ 6.48 at Sears.

jbusta and bisco like this.