1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4kwh Enginer GenIII PHEV in UK

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Flaninacupboard, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn - poor service experience and not being 100% open about delivery. Plus it's going to cost you an extra £500+. Totally puts me off. How did you get the figure of £400ish import charges?

So, if we want an Enginer kit and don't have a local distributor/installer, the costs are:

- cost of Enginer kit
    - Enginer delivery costs
    - import, storage, handling, unloading costs
    - vat
    - time and travel costs to get to the port and back
    - time and cost (unless diy) to get the kit installed

When you ordered the kit did Enginer give any information about delivery?
    How will you know when it hits the port? Will Enginer tell you (possibly days later meaning you incur extra port storage charges?)...or will customs call/write you?

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    £400 import charge - guess, and floyd has done a bit of research on agents in his country.

And no, there's no info on their website about their shipping cost, or the fact you'll be hit with extra charges. they've just allowed people to read about americans buying the kit and having it delivered to their door, and let us assume we'd get the same service, not get treated like a second class citizen. obviously i knew i would need to pay VAT.

How will i know it's arrived? don't know. will enginer contact me? don't know.

My blanket reccomendation right now is, if you're not in the US, don't buy this thing. what would have been a 2 year pay back period has now become 3 years+, and there's no guarantee the product will last that long (and in fact i highly doubt it).

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's odd that they won't deliver it to your door. Surely the courier company will inform you of the additional customs expense and then deliver to you once paid?

4. ace10086

ace10086 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the cost difference between importing directly and purchasing through a UK distributor ( pluginplanet.co.uk)? Seems like too much hassle to go direct.

5. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll let you know, once its actually here! seems like the difference may be £2-300 or so.

6. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    There is a UK importer selling the Enginer kit over here already, but when you see the prices you will gladly take a trip to the port and pay the taxes!

7. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Check that it is a 4kw kit with 5kw dc to dc inverter, I was quoted a lot more. I am poised to order from Jack but now waiting to see how you get on.

8. Floyd2

Floyd2 progressio per sententia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The one over here, Netherlands, charges € 4500 for a new 4 kW kit. That is £ 3905 !!! I assume that includes installation but I'm not sure.
    We're still beter off buying it directly from Shanghai.

9. Floyd2

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I remember you were going to pick it up. Has it already arrived?

Mine arrived in Rotterdam on monday, UPS is going to deliver it to my home but I haven't seen them yet.

10. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The ship seems to have docked, but no response from the handler as to where and when i can pick it up. I'll be going one day next week, and will post up about it.

11. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Woo hoo - finally some movement...getting exciting.

12. Prius_London

Prius_London New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do we have the same delivery agent? I am going to pick it up too. Jack said my delivery agent is Velta International from Essex. I have contacted them last week but they didn't have any information yet. The Ever Conquest should already be docked at Felixstowe by now.

13. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, Velta for me, though my ship (Xin HongKong) has been and gone. Apparently they are having trouble with the snow, but i -should- be able to collect on friday.

Wish i'd known someone else in the uk was ordering a kit, we could have saved a boatload (literally!) on fees :(

14. Prius_London

Prius_London New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I regret about that too. We could have saved a few quid. The agent sent me application forms. Have to fill them in tonighte. How much is your final fee? I'm still waiting for the quote from the agent. I think it should be pretty much the same.

15. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah they sent me a form to be returned to hmrc, an emrc something or other. After getting all the info and sending it hmrc replied saying it was totally unnecessary as i am a private individual.

VAT, import duties, handling, admin, paperwork, special "china" fee, all in it was £453. They wanted an extra £130 to deliver to my door, because the weight of the unit would require a dedicated tail-lift truck - apparently. so i chose to go collect from felixstowe instead.

1 person likes this.
  16. Prius_London

Prius_London New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I hope you will manage to get your hands on the kit tomorrow despite the weather.
    Drive safely!

17. Floyd2

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Meanwhile, on the other side of the Channel…. Mine arrived in Rotterdam on November 21st and the agent would forward it to my doorstep for a small additional fee: I would receive it on the 27th.
    First the agent somehow forgot all about my package, I had already send them all the paperwork. So I had to send it again.
    Then I had to fill out a additional form, which they forgot to mention and never sent me. Filled it in and returned it within half an hour. Then all was quiet for a few days, I made another phone call: they had a system crash and if I could send all paperwork once more. That was last Tuesday, and I’m still waiting.

Just made another phone call: “Did you pay up front? No, I asked you in three separate e-mail to let me know if I had to pay up front. You didn’t so I assumed it was not needed. Well, you have to.”
    Okay let me know what the amount is. They didn’t know: they will have to check first and call me back later. Hopefully today.

I placed my order on August 10 so I have been waiting for almost 4 months now. Makes me feel like I’ve gone back in time a century, and any day now a top hat courier with horse and carriage may drive up my driveway. Bringing me my treasure chest from China. A tuppence tip should be more than enough.

18. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, i'm actually going to pick it up on monday now, hopefully some of the snow will have cleared by then as well. That does mean i won't be able to get it installed until next weekend, but hey, i've been waiting since july, what's another week?:rolleyes:

19. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just got back from picking it up - it all appears to be there. I won't be able to get it in until next weekend now, and annoyingly there is no installation guide for the Gen3, just the gen2. I'm sure it can't be that different though, right....? :rolleyes:

20. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Huh?

There is a link to the 17 page installation guide for the Gen 3 on the front page of the Enginer website.

http://www.enginer.us/img/Gen 3.pdf