1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4kwh Enginer GenIII PHEV in UK

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Flaninacupboard, Jul 25, 2010.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did yours come with BMS? Mine didn't. Jack mailed it to me 2 weeks later.

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It did, both the BMS and the display were included and connected. I shot a short video of how the display works.

I think something is wrong with the kit already though, it is showing 0.01V on cells 4 and 5, and a pack voltage below 40V. if i measure the pack with a DVM is shows 53V so i'm really hoping those cells aren't dead, but instead have a faulty BMS or a loose connection somewhere.

3 people like this.
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Very nice " show and tell ", this is the first one among all the purchasers.
    Keep up the good work.

4. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I'll get pictures/video of as much as i can. Outside of the US we're so limited in terms of what kits and installers are available (none!) i think it's important to put information back out to the community.

1 person likes this.
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the video you mention that you chose to add an additional USB cable?

Are you getting the low reading if you disconnect the extra USB cable and only use the Enginer-provided cable?

6. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, i still get the low reading with just the original cable. I disconnected the multipin cables going into the BMS and measured ~3.3V between each pair of pins, and about 27V in total on each connector, so the actual cells are fine which is a relief. I've raised a ticket with Enginer.

7. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Flan,
    Go to the Enginer user forum. There is information there that can help you with your issues. Also you can post new questions there and get information from people that actually have and run the system.

Thanks,
    Dan

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the video and update Mr Cupboard. Looking forward to your further updates and the eventual first test drive. The videos should save me a trip down to the Midlands for a nosey (not sure if my passport is still valid down there :D ).

9. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've requested user status on the forum, but am still waiting. I'm fairly confident it's a hardware fault(and have raised a warranty request), but if you can suggest any other tests i can perform i'll gladly do so.

10. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your passport is fine, but there's now a large toll booth at the end of the M6! :eek: Someone had this notion that all northerners are poor and the £10 fee would keep them all out.....? :p

I will shoot a few more videos, as there isn't much stuff about for the Gen 3.

11. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had seen an event were a user damaged the 9 pin connector by forcing it when it would not go in. You would need to inspect the connector with a microscope to check this.

How long have you been waiting on user status?

Thanks,
    Dan

12. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The BMS was already connected in my kit, and functioning fine to begin with (and starting reporting the wrong value while sat on it's own not being charged or moved), so i think it's unlikely to be a damaged pin. I wonder if it could be a dry joint on the cell 4 negative/ cell 5 positive line. I'll see what Enginer have to say.

I originally sent a request for user status to jack a couple of weeks ago, and again yesterday.

13. Prius_London

Prius_London New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just arrived from Ipswich. Guess what with? Yeh, finally got it! Quite heavy have to say. I think suspensions must be strengthened defo. Ok, I'm off to offload it.

14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh blimey there's two Brits who've got an Enginer kit? Right Prius London, you're gonna have to keep the updates coming too.

Would pop down and check yours out too, but being a tight Yorkshire man I refuse to pay the £10 M6 toll or the £8 congestion charge, so you're both safe.

15. Prius_London

Prius_London New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    By the way, yesterday received the letter from Tronsport For London. As I'm registered owner of the car which emits less than 100g/km of CO2 I'm exempt from London Congestion Charge. Well, from 2012 not any more! TFL is changing requirements for vehicles to qualify for the exempt. Apparently the minimum level of CO2 will be dramatically reduced well below 100g/km. It seems there are too many priuses running in central London.

16. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They will review the 100g level but not as quickly as 2012 I'm sure. When you starts seeing Prius plug-in's, Leafs and Ampera's available then it will fall. The stated aim is down to 60g (so all 3 will remain exempt). At least this will rule out the small diesels they are about to make exempt.

17. Floyd2

Floyd2 progressio per sententia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When does the 2 year Enginer warrenty come into effect? I ordered my kit on August 10 and I will receive it next Monday, I've been waiting 4 months now.
    Does it mean I only have 1 year and 8 months warrenty left even without ever having seen it yet?

18. Prius_London

Prius_London New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hm, that is very interesting question! I wish it to be true that the warranty commence upon delivery. At least it is fair. It should be addressed to Enginer.

19. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick update for anyone interested, my kit is physically and electrically installed, and i have done a couple of short test drives. I have a problem with the battery monitoring system, looks as though it could be some blown fuses. I'm putting together a seperate webpage with more info/pictures etc on it, and i'll post here once it's online. Once my BMS is sorted i'll also start a driving log.

During the test drives the kit worked well, i drove round my village in EV mode for about 3.5 miles. The trick is going to be controlling heat in the car, since the engine is running just to keep the cabin warm at stops. now i have 230V in the car while parked i'm considering adding a fan heater to preheat the car in the morning.

2 people like this.
  20. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Looking forward to the webpage and updates.

Also, hope you've informed your insurance company about your modification. It will probably be ok with them but it's best to let them know - that way you cover your a**e ;)