1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

lol....

No AWD, diesel ICE? Not here. Extended, probably 20 miles at least. Quicker, lighter, yes, quicker EV and more powerful that is. Improved fuel efficiency, yes, hydrogen fuel cell, there is a car coming out with that. Cheaper? Yes to produce, but when adding all the features it'd probably be the same price.

That being said, if indeed the PiP was way cheaper and with incentives, they'd have a huge winner :p

Even if the G4 looked like those Thai depictions, I'd probably get it if all the specs I mentioned were right, although I don't see how there'd be more room for extended EV in a GenIII body...

We need a second car in my household, but I'm like desperately trying to hold out! Prius Gen III 2010 still going on strong.

Felt likes this.
  2. 4EVsHybrids

4EVsHybrids Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius has always been associated with Clean and Green. A diesel ICE is not Clean and it is not green(For City MPG). Diesels ICE always tout their Highway miles, but can never achieve a PZEV emission status. The G4 Prius I expect will be a evolutionary improvement over the G3 Prius.

3. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    100 pages and nothing new :(

Prius is and will probably stay Prius, an efficient gasoline car. For pure EV Toyota will probably chose a different "brand" name (what are they waiting for?). I agree that many will be disappointed with next gen, but Toyota must make it cheaper and more efficient. It will probably be a small increment of the current version.

4. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The only reason I included "Diesel ICE" on the list is because that is the title of one of the threads ... along with others, such as the "2018 Prius wish list."

GasperG's comment, 100 pages and nothing new, is all too true. And, I suppose that Toyota is largely responsible. They have chosen not to reveal anything for their enthusiast. The little bits and pieces that have been spoken by various Toyota officials is often contradictory and confusing. Some manufacturers release information and it helps keep the interest up among their followers. Toyota does not. So, the enthusiast must create some excitement .... thus 100 pages. ..... and nothing new.

I readily admit, I have posted comments solely to generate some comments. I like reading what others think, and reading how the vehicle is performing, meeting your needs and how it might be improved. Pictures of the test mule was good for many pages. Diane's comment for more. Motor Trends depictions generated a lot of comment as well as did the other artist sketches. But the lack of news has given way to wild expectations. And some will be disappointed, because the expectation has, in all probability, exceeded reality.

5. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    What about a turbo strapped to the 1.8L engine along with a F1 inspired MGU-H? I'm not too sure but I think an Atkinson cycle is still possible.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I called Toyota corporate customer service yesterday, asking the rep if there is any news of a next generation or even news that there is going to be a next generation Prius. She got off the phone and asked someone else, got back on the phone and said there is no news about an all new Prius. Nothing at this time.

7. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  8. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

They won't know until the official announcement. The the buzz will start and excitement begin. There will be no announcement this month. Possibly next month. It's coming out.....

10. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't remember if it was you, Inferno, but weren't you betting on April for the unveil in the last several weeks? Now you're backing off from that? ;)

11. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Gen 4 Prius I believe is definitely less than 1 year away. We already had a spy shot a very long time ago. There was already talk about the 4th gen when the NS4 was revealed, etc...etc...

Neat about GM though. Now we just wait for Ford to create some hype (albeit their release will most likely be a year or two after) and Nissan.

Prius EV would I think defeat the purpose of a Prius. Prius is a flagship hybrid and I think soon to be flagship Plugin Hybrid. I think a Prius EV would be limited in range, but if Toyota could find some way to make it the most efficient electric powered vehicle; then they'd make it.

Chevy Volt getting to 40 mpg sounds good, 40 electric range also, 5 seat yes, now if it can go 500 miles on a tank and full charge....I would actually consider a volt if it was 45 mpg and had a longer range than 300 miles.

I'm pretty sure the Prius 4th gen will be unveiled before the next Volt. The Prius 4th gen WILL be unveiled this year and my guess is next month!

Sergiospl likes this.
  13. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    GasperG
    I cannot explain the details, but it is my understanding the Prius has, in effect, a thermos that helps keeps the radiator water warm overnight, thus enabling the Prius to shorten the morning warm-up. The MB "blanket" sounds like something that would be good in Wisconsin, like a block heater. But not out here in the desert southwest..... we don't use block heater either.

All the speculation about a Toyota G4 announcement. I hope y'all are right. I'm ready and waiting.

14. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is only true for the Gen2 not the Gen3.

Felt likes this.
  15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, the GenIII circulates coolant around a water-jacketed exhaust to heat it up faster.

Felt likes this.
  16. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Coolant around/through water-jacked exhaust = automotive "espresso" maker!

Felt likes this.
  17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2015 Toyota Prius Rendered, Detailed
    [​IMG]Photoshop!

19. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like a photoshop of a Gen III

Felt likes this.
  20. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yuck. It does look more like an NS4 but...uhhh..looks like some bug superhero on TV way back when (Japanese Action Show)

Now wait until they show you the specs! It's gonna be good...I've already listed what I expected (in fact it seems to confirm the April showing and Fall Release) BUT I DID NOT expect this rendering at all!

Also right about the prices staying the same...HOWEVER...I think it might qualify for the mid-tier federal tax credit and the PiP should not go up in price. Here's to hoping it actually goes down a few more grand :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.