1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Well if indeed next year...new PiP will be going up against Volt 2.0. I don't know if I agree with that strategy because I'm 99% sure the PiP won't match the Volt's range...unless there's another version of the PiP. The volt I think is leading the plugin hybrid market and is pretty high up for a plugin vehicle in general.

Then again, maybe the gen iv will be released next year and the PiP will wait until a year after....

Blargh :p Either way, these new cars will be interesting within the next year...

Felt likes this.
  2. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    inferno,

I read somewhere that the Volt will be a 5 seater (that was a serious drawback); lower cost (another drawback) and greater mileage as a result of a new engine, and buyers will still be eligible to pocket the $7500 government tax credit. All very favorable to the buying public (if the rumors are true). I don't think new tail lights on the 2015 Prius will keep buyers in the fold.

3. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The two things that pulled me away from the Volt were cost and the back seat. If the second gen Volt improves on both of those fronts, it would be very compelling.

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah well, guess I'll keep paying down my 2012 c in the meantime...LONG ways to go, so I hope she holds up.

5. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Felt likes this.
  6. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would take with a grain of salt supposed information coming through a Toyota dealer. At this point, management's motivation would be to avoid fanfare about Gen IV, in order not to queer present sales of current Prii. If Toyota cannot make good on its promises for `15, then it will lose its leadership in this field and be hard pressed to get it back!

I am keenly interested in an electric, non-mechanical AWD system. I am hoping for something akin to the rear wheel setup of the Acura RLX. 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid | MotorWeek

Where such a system gets phenomenally improved handling in that high-ender, it could make for good driving properties in the Prius--giving back what the LRR tires take away!

Also, I understand that forthcoming Honda hybrids will be overly complicated, with a six-speed automatic transmission grafted onto the IC-electric drive. A Prius such as I imagine would be elegantly simple and bullet-proof mechanically, accomplishing everything clever with software and electronic control.

Felt likes this.
  7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

This is like a season finale cliffhanger here. Such drama.

Felt likes this.
  8. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well ..... I like what I read, but not real pleased with what I see.

So we have a conflict of opinions. The "Toyota Regional Manager" says 2016 (model year); Auto Express says 2015. The narrative description seems to be following somewhat the same line. Personally, I am hoping the picture is what I called it, a "clumsy depiction." Basically, I have more confidence in Diane (although I have never met her). I like her description: "It will knock your socks off." The Auto Express image does not do that.

So we sit and hope for the best. Patients. Patients.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Remember that in Europe, the model year is the year it's actually sold so they both might be saying the same thing. If it's released in Sept 2015 as a 2016 model, in Europe, it's a 2015 MY car.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Seems all AutoExpress did here was rehash photos posted a year ago (spy shots) by Car and Driver and C & D's recent morphed Prius Five with NS concept.

.... even though we don't like C&D claims of low MPGs on their lead footed test drives, they have credibility in auto journalism. I happen to like a lot of their takes on cars.

11. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    cycledrum - I have been looking at the images shown in the Auto Express piece, and compared it to the depictions we saw several months ago ...... I believe they were identified as the "Thia" sketches. I believe they are trying to represent the same vehicle, except the Thia picture is much better executed and not nearly as "clumsy." The image I saw appeared to be from a magazine, folded in half, and illustrated a white "2015" Prius. I especially liked the rear quarter view that appeared as well. I thought at the time that the Thia depiction could conceivably be the vehicle shrouded in the test mule shots.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The image isn't displaying properly.

13. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Too bad. I am not sure how to correct it. It was displayed when I posted it.
    Thanks.

14. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that Dianne is a sales person, and a very good one. I work in the sales industry and know that people will say anything to keep your attention. Nothing against Dianne, she seems like a nice person.

15. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    markabele, I completely concur with your comment. Thank you.

If we were to look back over the last few years PC post (and I have not), I think we would see that Diane (appears) to be a well respected, high volume salesperson in Southern California. Whether she has more access to Toyota than a "Regional Manager" I have no idea. But her last comment implied that she had personal knowledge about the new Prius, and I read into her post that perhaps she had actually seen a picture, or possibly even seen in person the unmasked test mule. Most test mules are driven in the desert areas of the southwest, so that just might be a possibility.

As I recall, she concluded her final post with a statement (to the effect) that she was going to say no more. That is a shame. She drops a bombshell then withdraws and does not make herself available to clarify a few questions.

Time will tell.

16. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be willing to bet a fairly large sum of money that the following will be true about a new Prius (for a variety of reasons):
    -will look very similar, especially in shape, to the last Prius but have an "updated" look
    -will get 8-12% better fuel economy
    -new PiP pack will be about 6, possibly 7, kWh (current is 4.4 I believe)

Tideland Prius and Felt like this.
  17. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been lurking this thread for a year now, and all I can hope is that the fuel economy is not another incremental improvement around 10%. Most rumors have stated 55mpg until now (90 mpg).

It's far fetched to believe Toyota can make an 80% improvement in fuel economy in a single generation, but even a 25% improvement would make the Prius exciting and relevant again. Need to at least get into the 60 mpg range when there are other enticing hybrid and full EV options available.

18. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What reports ever said it would get 90 mpg? Maybe you are mistaken that a lot of people think it will get 55 mpg with you thinking it will be a 55 mpg improvement. I don't think anyone ever said it would get 90 mpg.

19. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The article cmth posted further up this page unless I'm mistaken?

20. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it were 90 mpg, I will be scrambling to get my 2010 traded in. That would be ridiculous mpg for a non plug in hybrid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.