1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a clue. I doubt that the price-cutting to clear out `14 inventory would be this aggressive if the `15 were still going to be Gen3.

New Car Deals | Local New Car Specials

#2441 edmcohen, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hmm, I don't see that as aggressive. In my area we had a $4k cash back 0% financing for Toyota PiP (before the price drop).

Now it's $3k 0% financing and an extra $1500 for graduates or army...but I've seen that every now and again. I don't see any of the pricing as aggressive honestly, maybe on the verge, but not there yet

3. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That underlines my point: The comparatively large rebate anticipates what is to come. `Interesting that the rebate on `14 Prius c is much less than for Gen3. Along with the Gen4, might the `15 Prius c come in with some improved battery technology and otherwise
    substantially the same?

4. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is interesting.

Also other news on 2015 models. Energi Ford models are going to be bumped up from 20/21 miles EV to 24/25 miles EV - chemistry changes!

I really hope the PiP reaches 20 miles EV straight...but somehow, these half-generational things are able to improve battery capacity across the board (like when the Volt did it). The PiP neither dropped as much price as the Volt nor increased its EV range...and the Volt's only a year older.

Another thing interesting about the article I posted is that Honda came out with the Insight first? I guess Toyota's claim to fame is "1st Mass Produced Hybrid" as the Insight didn't really take off initially...

5. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Obviously, we have not seen the 2015 Camry in person, but I am not impressed with the photographs of the new front end. I suspect, and my suspicions will be confirmed when the actual Camry is available, that much of the front facade is fake. Just applied plastic faux decor with no functional purpose or actual openings to the interior of the engine compartment. I doubt there is any necessity for any vehicle to have the enormous grilles (real for cooling and fake for appearance) that seems to be in vogue these days. I suspect the applied decor interferes with a smooth air flow, and probably contribute some wind noise. Just my opinion.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mean like the new Mazda 6? Wow, those are some mail slot passenger and driver side windows. Supr high door sills.

Geez, would be nice if Toyota announces 4th gen Prius by December.

7. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ...and, thus, I cast my "Citizen's Opinion" vote:

Prius = Yea ( )
    FCV = Nay ( ) ...especially *IF* that $70K price is true.

#2448 70AARCUDA, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  8. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Ewww! That FCV is hideous (IMO). Even at $40k, I'd pass. Not getting a Gen IV either, but I would wait for the engine and tranny to tricky up (CT), parallel (V) and down (C) before I'd consider replacing our existing hybrids.

9. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll second that vote on the FCV look. :eek: Hideous is a compliment. Who at these car companies thinks that these hunormous front grille openings are going to win over customers? And what's with that vertical tower of white LED's at each corner? Seriously, Wth? And this is the final design? If the GenIV Prius front looks *anything* like that, then I think fully half of us here are going to be buying Volts next time.

10. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Count me in that group. Actually, there is no aspect of the FCV design that appeals to me - none at all. This is alarming because Toyota has obviously been working on improving drag coefficient and I don't like the outcome. I would not want to see Prius G4 looking anywhere near this and if it does, I will probably just get a used Lexus NX300h or IS300h instead. Very disappointing actually.

11. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    People complain that Toyota (and other manufacturers) don't do the concepts, now they do and they get flack...I didn't hear this uproar in the concept version.

I think it looks 'different' but cool. I still don't see how it'll compete with Tesla given the infrastructure, but if fuel cell prices go low, and there's a sustainable way to create the cells, and it spreads...yeah could be a game changer.

Couple things though:
    No mention of TNGA or new tech - so I'm guessing the 4th gen will showcase these features. I'm guessing it's exactly the Gen 3 Hybrid system in the FCV.

Also, I don't think the Prius have concept versions in general...As I remember, they went right for spyshots confirmations, then release. Same with the PiP, V and C. And I think the 3rd gen as well.

Now what's cool to me is that without a major show Toyota released the production version. This could be way the Gen IV is shown, or at the show (which probably will more likely happen).

2015 looks to be a big year for Toyota. Those Corollas look great, the new Camry is interesting, FCV, Gen IV and maybe the NS4? Toyota might be taking the market by storm!

lensovet likes this.
  12. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Japanese seem to be stuck in the GODZILLA DESIGN SCHOOL of concept cars (not saying Detroit is any better however)...sorry but 'no dice' from me.

ystasino likes this.
  13. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FCV is ugly as sin. I would only choose it if it was between it and a bus pass.

14. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Actually, inferno has a very good point. I had seen the FCV as a concept but didn't bother to comment on its design. One reason being that realistically speaking I didnt see myself buying one anytime soon and at that price. The FCV technology itself was much more significant so the design took 2nd place. However, when toyota made that announcement confirming the fcv production car design, I somehow associated it with Prius G4.

The other point I missed was that this is toyota's first hydrogen car and it represents a turning point in automotive technology - it just wouldnt be right if it looked like any other ordinary car - it is very different inside out - it has to look different too.

Now going by this logic, maybe we will see the NS4 as a production car with minimal changes compared to concept car - I really hope so.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PR released has some info on the design.

The vehicle's exterior design evokes two key characteristics of a fuel cell vehicle: the transformation of air into water as the system produces electricity, and the powerful acceleration enabled by the electric drive motor. The bold front view features pronounced air intakes, while the sleek side view conveys the air-to-water transformation with its flowing-liquid door profile and wave-motif fuel cap. The theme carries to the rear view, which conveys a catamaran's stern and the flow of water behind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The more I look at it, the more I see what they are talking about.

Air to water, my friend.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That description makes sense and the side profile does look good but the rear end looks inharmonious and brings back memories of the Bangle Butt.

17. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IMHO, the ONLY interesting thing that I saw are those blue-stripe tires, which remind me of the blue-streak tires used on 60's muscle cars.

18. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I missed the blue walls on the tires. Nicest part of the design. I'd like a set of those for my ribbon blue Prius.

19. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think that Toyota needs to create an FCEV plugin next. I heard somewhere that they just approved the density of Fuel Cell Fuel by I think a factor of 2.

I wonder if this FCEV would be able to accept that fuel? And therefor be able to go from 400 miles to 800?

However, I think where plugins and EVs have the market is at the fact a person can "fill" his/her own car **at home!** How cool is that? It's not as crazy as having your own gas station, just simply fueling your car. I think that's the best part.

If the double density thing is true, then they could probably make a 60 miles EV car that could go 500 miles total in Hydrogen. Then create a network like Tesla of fueling stations and now you have options.

Adoption of the FCEV will definitely take longer than the Prius or plugin EVs (which I don't think are fully adopted yet, PHVs will be first as the market shows)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.