1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Differences I see include slightly steeper rake of the front windshield, relocating the apex of the roofline further rearward to improve rear headroom, taller rear deck, smaller shoulders, and less sideways "flair" on the headlights and tail lights. Clearly an evolutionary refresh and easily identifiable. Wonder what the nose will look like....

2. Heat Gun

Heat Gun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can see inside a little bit

20140709_143138.jpg

3. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looking out the window at our 2014 Prius, you're right on both accounts...different rear door and longer rear body behind the wheel well.

However, with ALL that duck-taped camouflage, there's equal chance of "Yes it is" as "No it's not."

#2523 70AARCUDA, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  4. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Turn signals on mirrors has been standard on Gen 3, UK spec since 2009.

I have to say if Gen 4 looks like that, it might not sell well especially here in europe. Toyota comes up with great looking concepts like the NS4 then if the production Gen4 looks 90% like Gen3, I can't see the point. My only hope is they are testing out the drivetrain on a car that mimics eventual car dynamics but is different in design.

#2524 cmth, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  5. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Re: " testing out the drivetrain on a car that mimics eventual car dynamics..." would be a "test Mule."

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honda and Ford should be Toyota's greatest threat in terms of hybrid technology. Ford, false claims aside, is pushing hard with different models and as a business, they're rolling out new technologies faster than any other major manufacturer - turbocharged engines, active safety technologies, new sports cars and hybrid/plug-in hybrid models.

Honda, on the other hand, after years of IMA has decided to take on the full hybrid head-on, with a twist - focus on what they're known for: sporty vehicles. The hybrid system in the RL is quite impressive, using electric motors slow down the inside rear wheel to tuck the car into the corner and to provide power to the outside wheels at corner exit for better acceleration out of a corner. The Accord Hybrid's system seems well designed too but I haven't heard anything on real world mpg numbers. However, for a car that looks good (even if it's conservative, it will at least look fresh when the car is paid off), spacious, with modern technological features and excellent mpg, on paper, Honda has a winner.

Good point. If Toyota is aiming for a thermally efficient engine, then we need to get the heat from somewhere else. A more energy-dense battery can help with powering an electric heater perhaps?

No. We don't typically see massive discounts in Canada (Domestic trucks/SUVs aside). The Japanese brands here sell well and you'll see the biggest discounts at year-end clearance and sometimes in the Spring/late Winter to spur sales when it's cold and snowy/rainy outside.

Nice catch! I'm hoping there's still an additional triangular window behind the rear doors, otherwise that'll be a very large blind spot. The headlights look slimmer and appear to sport a black-out headlight surround (rather than chrome).

Judging by the placement of the side marker light, it looks like we may see the front-facing side marker light as well (i.e. like the current setup) as it appears that the side marker light on the camouflaged vehicle can't be see from the front. The bumper-mounted indicators appear to make a return as well.

On the inside, it appears the dash with fake stitching found on the current generation of Toyotas (RAV4, Camry, Corolla) will make an appearance (or it could be an optical illusion as there is a lot of reflection from the black covers on the dashboard).

However, anyone noticed that the dashboard has a convention "hump" in front of the steering wheel? (look at the first two photos, particularly the second one, through the headrest stalks).

Edit: Never mind. It could still be using the CT200h's dashboard from the previous mules so it's hard to get an idea of the interior with a better angle.

#2526 Tideland Prius, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  7. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the windshield reflection it looks as though they have something buttoned (at the edge) over the actual dashboard.

8. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2015 Volvo XC90 Has 400 HP And Is Cleaner Than A Prius

Does this mean that Toyota is lagging behind? 10% increase in MPG won't cut it any more. And we have only one Toyota Plugin Hybrid Model to choose from. Even this small swedish car maker soon has two plugins on offer. Where are you Highlander Plugin or Prius V plugin?

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  10. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no price indication yet and I still think this is valid. Just about every other automaker seems to make progress on hybrid and plugin drivetrains but Toyota has come to a stand still (in terms of released models) in fuel efficiency in the last 5 years.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My point exactly. You are using vaporware to criticize Toyota

Felt likes this.
  12. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    I beg you pardon but XC90 is not vaporware. The last old model of XC90 rolled off the assembly line in Sweden this week. The new model is scheduled for production start in a few months, during this fall.

13. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not totally convinced this is a valid comparison since they are comparing a plug-in with a "Prius". This is like comparing retired4999's PiP output vs the Prius Liftback.

iPad ? HD

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No car, no EPA numbers, no price, no owner experiences, no reliability data

Yaaaaawwwnnn. I am so not interested in vaporware hype. Know about a car that costs new ~ 22k and is on a dealer lot for sale, has Toyota level reputation, and beats the pants off the Prius ? I'm all ears.

#2534 SageBrush, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #2535 windstrings, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  16. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hope that's just a mule as it still has a strong Gen 3 long in the tooth look.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You talking about the vette?
    I saw one yesterday at the Rangers Game.. Was a looker fur sure!

Sorry for the distraction... But why can't they make a real sporty car?
    It doesn't have to be a tesla!

18. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It will be very interesting to see the final product. Some of the reports (seemingly) could not have been "more wrong" if that is the final design. I predict the final design will bear a strong resemblance to the G3.

The rear hatch looks interesting. I think the split window is still there, but the glass appears to wrap over and down the side. There is no telling what is concealed beneath the masking. But I agree with what I think you are implying ..... to remain the top contender, it will require more than a rounded rear door and window.

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The prius entered with shock, once the look finally took hold its now accepted as the norm as most cars have copied the aerodynamic design, but the look is aged "but not obsolete".

To turn heads they need another shocker that maintains aerodynamics.

But it needs to be introduced with a "shocker" on the technical side too... Have they really hit the mpg wall?

I think not....

20. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From the looks of the dash, if that's the one which will be in the next Prius, they are going away from the centerish digital display. Are they going Analog for the Speedometer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.