1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Skylis - I am fairly certain the 2015 Prius is, for all intent and purposes, nearly identical to the 2010 - 2015. I suppose there were a few changes, like the tail light, and new colors, but the 2015 is a 3rd generation Prius.

What everyone is awaiting, is the 4th generation Prius. Many had hoped it would be a 2015 (model year), but it seems fairly certain it will now be a 2016 (model year). There has been a lot of speculating, but I suppose the consensus is the 4th generation will be a model year 2016 released near the end of calendar year 2015.

Toyota has been virtually silent about details, thus fueling expectations. There have been occasional leaks, and several magazines have printed artist depictions of "the next generation Prius." But they vary so much, it is clear to me that none of the artist has any idea what it will look like. So we are waiting and watching.

Unfortunately, the competition is closing the gap with numerous models that get pretty good mileage, but offer more comfort, sportier handling and a quieter cabin .... and at a lower cost.

2. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Haven't we been speculating on the Gen IV since 2012 ? lol That's when artists depictions came out. Toyota better make it 60 MPG+ to stay ahead of the competition. Hear of the Chrysler MiniVan plugin that supposedly goes 20 miles EV and 50 mpg on hybrid mode? Probably more like 40 or so...but it's going to be released as a 2015 model! So early next year or late this.

They were going to release it as a 2016 model but got ahead of production some how?

3. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2015 Toyota: "...milking the GenII Prius cow for all she's worth..."

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Call me a skeptic but how does Chrysler plan on making a 50mpg hybrid minivan? The T&C isn't exactly svelte at 2,115kg (~4,650lbs). Also, minivans aren't that aerodynamic. It'll have to go on a diet like the Range Rover did and quite a bit of a diet.

How so? An extra year on the market doesn't help the product especially if it's the oldest product on the market and the competition has been fully redesigned with new technology.

This isn't any different from before

1st Gen: Dec 1997 - Aug 2003
    2nd Gen: Aug 2003 - Apr 2009
    3rd Gen: Apr 2009 - ? (assuming it's some time in 2015).

Both the 1st and 2nd generations ran for 6 model years (if you were to use the NA nomenclature. Japan would've called the first month of Prius the 1997 Prius and any produced after 1st Jan 1998, a 1998 Prius)

5. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Milking" as in wringing another years worth of sales from an 'old' (by some people's account) product, before bringing out the 'new' (and higher MPG) technology.

Don't get me wrong: (a) I am NOT a "...fix it, even if it ain't broke..." person; rather, (b) I AM a "...improve the breed, stay ahead..." person.

Felt likes this.
  6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ Every product ever brought to market with maximum profit in mind was 'milked' for maximum ROI of the R&D and manufacturing costs.

7. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I personally suspect/believe that Toyota is not delaying the introduction of the G4 to extract additional sales of an older design.
    I am fairly certain had the G4 been ready, Toyota would have produced it as a model year 2015.

Toyota has to be keenly aware that the competition has significantly "closed the gap," and the brand is loosing sales each day the G4 is delayed. But, to Toyota's credit, they did not rush an unproven product into production. Corporate Toyota's reputation is more valuable than the loss of Prius sales (I'm thinking of the GM label and the loss of their credibility as a viable, responsible auto manufacturer.

Ashlem, mozdzen and Invisi8 like this.
  8. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    You can have that today - just buy a Tesla.

9. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    $90k will get you 265 miles (optimally), 275 with the new dual motor option.

That's conservative Japanese business philosophy for you.

#3029 vinnie97, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
  10. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    American automobile drivers *buy* Japanese products, not Japanaese philosphies (wink,wink).

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes and I'm saying that there's an opportunity cost of lengthening a model's life cycle. It may be true for luxury cars (where S-Class and 7 Series use to enjoy 10 year life spans) but in the $20-$30k segment, it's not worth the lost in sales. (You think Volvo is still milking the 1st Gen XC90 that was launched in 11 years ago?)

12. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I fully AGREE...it's like the difference between STANDING on an escalator and WALKING (or even RUNNING) on an escalator...you're still moving but neither as fast, nor as far ahead, as your COULD be!

Tideland Prius likes this.
  13. prinut

prinut Pri Nut

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  14. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    interesting design. a lot more agressivew in the front but appears to have less room in the trunk. Regardless, I can't wait to see the new 4th gen.

15. frhoads

frhoads Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Russian says, "The 2016 Toyota Prius may get four wheel drive and offer a choice of two batteries."

I think it looks cool. And I'd love a 4wd option, since I live in the trackless tundra, Minnesota :)

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. And by that logic, I hope Toyota wows us. I'm not expecting to be wowed by a new Corolla or Highlander as they typically are conservative and will neither offend nor push the boundaries (Although Toyota did so with the Corolla by offering standard LED low beams, first in its class. That being said, it doesn't seem to be of the same quality as the ones on the Prius). But the Prius? It's typically been used as a test bed for hybrid technology. A 10% gain (if rumours are to be believed) is 55mpg which isn't bad as a combined number but with larger vehicles nipping at the 40mpg mark, it'll be nice to have a wider gap. 55mpg isn't a number that will get me to trade in my 3rd gen (just like the Gen 3's 50mpg was to the Gen 2 owners' 46mpg). 60mpg combined would be incredible (esp. since that's what the 2004 Prius was labelled as the city rating under the old EPA testing system and now it can possibly hit it with under real world driving)

Felt likes this.
  17. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That looks surprisingly like the European Toyota Auris hybrid with a modified front end.

[​IMG]

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and a bit like the ct200h. i sure hope they don't make it smaller.

19. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four