1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Basic question: Is the Prius V expected to be updated to the next generation at the same time as the regular Prius?

I need a slightly bigger car, and the Prius V may fit the bill, but want one sooner rather than later, preferably with AWD (and decent iPod/iPhone support).

BTW, regarding the recent discussion here, I have zero interest in the Tesla. Not on my radar at all, even as a second car.

Invisi8 likes this.
  2. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think the v is getting any major changes aside from a refresh. I'm guessing a new gen will be another 2-3 years out.

3. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't expect a new Prius V in 2015. If the schedule is on the last release cycle then we can possibly expect 2017 for a 2018 model. My hunch would be in 2016 for a 2017 model. So we have the 2015 model now as a refresh. Then we'll have the 2016 model next year. I also suspect Toyota will finally release a 5+ hybrid seater in the US

4. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I guess I'll have to wait then, or else I may consider something else.

But to be clear, I was not necessarily expecting one in 2015. I was hoping for 2016. 2017 (for a 2018) is pushing it for me though.

Or as mentioned a different hybrid that is bigger than the Prius but not a huge monster like the Highlander.

#3304 Eug, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, since they just unveiled a refresh for the v, I wouldn't expect to see a completely new model for at least a couple years. In my opinion, there's too much invested in the retooling for the refresh to scrap it the following year. Also in my opinion, the same would hold true for the c since they just unveiled a refresh for that as well. The only cars in question are the liftback and the plug-in. Will they unveil new versions of each at the same time since they are, essentially, built on the same platform?

lensovet likes this.
  6. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That's fine, but what makes it unattractive to you? To me, it's really only the prohibitive upfront cost.

7. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Up front cost, and the fact you have to charge it. Plus, the size.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Tesla is a big car, much larger than I prefer.
    I, however, will never have a car again that doesn't require charging. Far, far more convenient for those that can charge at home, or work.

9. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This is not a debate. Only an opinion. Clearly .... I have no facts, or knowledge of what I am suggesting!

Question: Isn't the current "V" basically a Prius hatchback, with a different rear quarter? Isn't the engine, Hybrid system, and front 3 quarters basically the same as the hatchback? Might they even be assembled on the same assembly line????

If there is any truth to the above questions, than my money says the "V" will be upgraded when the hatchback is upgraded. Just an opinion, but I cannot imagine that Toyota would make the switch to the new "universal" (forgot what it is called) platform, and not include the "V."

10. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah I believe everything's the same but the body. But I believe Toyota went into great lengths to design the body because of the engine being the same size and power...So in the end they made a pretty efficient vehicle at around 44 mpgs or so.

I think if they just plop in an engine in a larger Prius car without much development and research it might go down to 35 mpgs or so. Ultimately they put the work in the body in the V. And I believe they released the 7 seater first in other countries...

11. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Here's hoping the V is updated at the same time as the regular Prius. But I'm not counting on it.

---

The Tesla Model S is not big enough for the rear seat leg room for my needs. The Model X doesn't have any specs listed but it will likely be big enough. However given that it will likely be approx. 10% more expensive than the Model S, then even after the Ontario tax break, it will likely be over CAD$100000 with my preferred configuration.

Can I afford that? Yes. Do I want to spend that? Not a chance in hell. And that's not even including the cost for the electrical charger and installation, which by the way for me would have to be outside since my garage was converted into a home theatre by the previous owner of my home.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're correct that the chassis (stretched), engine and hybrid system are shared and you would be correct in thinking that Toyota will probably use the new TNGA (Toyota New Global Architecture) platform for the new Prius, however, you can't expect a manufacturer to replace a vehicle that quickly (Honda's case with the Civic is unprecedented).

In addition, it would benefit Toyota to spread out the launches for the Prius, Prius v and Prius c because then their engineers and designs aren't crunched for time and it also allows marketing to keep the audience attention on the Prius by staggering their launches (and once the Prius v and c are launched, then Toyota can focus on the midlife update for the Liftback).

13. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Tideland Prius - Thank you for your comment. TNGA .... that is what I could not recall.

Several post back, I started that I know not of what I speak, but it just seems illogical to me that Toyota would introduce the brand new G4 on a new platform .... and retain the "V" on the old platform. (Regardless of when it was originally introduced).

I suppose it really comes down to this" I am not at all sure what a "V" is????
    Is it another Prius body-style? or a different model all together? Clearly, the Corolla and the Camry are two completely different models. Would a 2 door Prius (if there was such a vehicle) be a Prius, or something else? In my mind, the "V" is a Prius "station wagon" (I know, a very old term)(but I am very old myself). I really do not understand why Toyota named these vehicles the "C" and the "V"?

Hopefully, in time the answer to these ramblings will be made clear. For what little my opinion is worth .... my bet is that when the Prius G4 is released, along with a new HSD, all Toyota brands will share the same technology. Granted, adapted to each application.

#3313 Felt, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  14. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's like every car of the Scion brand is a Scion something!
    Scion tc, Scion xb, Scion iq.
    Prius c, Prius v, Prius s probably for Liftback.

Felt likes this.
  15. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Thank you Sergiospl ...... good explanation.
    Then my guess is the "C" and the "V" will be upgraded at the same time the G4 is upgraded.

Sergiospl likes this.
  16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will be interesting to see how Toyota does this. IMO, it would not make sense to have a GenIV with the new HSD while the v continues for another 2 years with Gen III HSD.

Felt likes this.
  17. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Expecting the entire line to be updated at once is wishful thinking. The fact that the c and v models were refreshed just now should be clear enough indication that no changes are to be expected to them for another 2-3 years. The fact that lift back and PHV models were left completely untouched for 2015 should also be sufficient to indicate that a redesign for them is imminent and they will probably be updated at the same time.

it is worth remembering that the v was launched 2 years after the G3 lift back, while the c launched 2.5 years later. i would expect roughly the same timelines for the G4 models.

18. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    No update needed.... :)

Perfectly content with my 2015 Persona......

Well, I will admit that 55+ mpg without trying on a persona / 17" prius would be amazing and welcome....

Waiting.....

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right, but that doesn't it has to remain that way. You ask the questions and we have a discussion about it and we all learn from it :). Your question is second nature to me, so to have someone ask allows me to step back and think about it and question the logic :).

It's not illogical at all. If you're thinking about R&D, it allows the old platform to be used for more vehicles and for a longer period of time to spread out the development costs. For example, the first generation Chrysler 300 launched in 2005 and went on to 2010 used the previous generation Mercedes-Benz E-Class' chassis and that model ran from 2002-2009. It helped Chrysler save money on R&D and help MB spread the cost over a greater number of vehicles sold. (They did something similar with the Crossfire/old SLK). Or, for example, the Prius c uses the 1.5 litre engine (1NZ-FXE) instead of a hybridized version of the newer 1NR-FE 1.5 litre engine. The 1NZ engine has been around since the last century (Dec 1997) and is cheaper for Toyota to update the old engine with the new technology found on the 3G Prius than to redevelop a hybrid system with the 1NR (or maybe one is in the works but wasn't ready by the time the Prius c was launched).

The Prius v is, essentially, a Prius station wagon, or MPV I suppose is the better term. It falls into the tall wagon category (hence MPV) that Europeans seem to like (there are several vehicles in Europe that come in both hatchback and MPV format such as the Focus/C-Max, Mégane/Grand Scénic, Astra/Zafira, Golf/Touran).

Since "station wagon" is essentially a calling card for the Black Death of sales, manufacturers have been coming up with other ways to identify their vehicles (notice how many wagons sold in the U.S. carry the "sport" moniker? TSX Sport Wagon, Jetta Sportswagen, 9-3 SportCombi, CTS Sport Wagon, 3 Series Sports Wagon). Note that even some of these vehicles carry slightly different names in Canada (i.e. dropping the word "sport"). Therefore, so be a little different with the Prius family, I guess Toyota decided to add a single letter to the end of the name to distinguish the family models (well, except for the original Prius which was referred to as the Prius Liftback).

It's not as simple as giving the new v the new platform. It'll need a new body to fit within the specifications of the chassis (and suspension and transmission but we know that's shared with the Prius so they'll be fairly similar but with different tuning specifications). Bumpers and lights are the easiest things to change in car especially if the clip/screw points are exactly the same - as far as the robot assembling the car is concerned, it's the same part because the arm stops at the same position to install the part to the car.

Why not? The Gen 2 continued on even though improvements were made to the HSD on the HiHy/RXh (launched in 2005) and further to the Camry (2007).

Or, flip it the other way, it took until 2012 before the Camry got all the improvements from the 3rd Gen Prius.

lensovet, Sergiospl and Felt like this.
  20. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    …which is exactly why I expect Toyota to take their time to update all the variants :)

Tideland Prius likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.