1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting data:
    - EV/plug-ins account for 97.5% of Prius market
    - top seven models account of 88.2% of EV sales

If you look at hybrid sales, there are 3 big losers:
    #1 Civic hybrid 34.3%
    #2 Ford C-max 31.70% (you know why)
    #5 Prius 15.4%
    #6 Prius V 12.1%
    #7 Hybrid Camry 11.1%

The biggest gain is Hybrid Accord 1327.70%, followed by MKZ 34.3% and CT200h 17.3%.

info on hybrid sales: December 2014 Dashboard - HybridCars.com

Looks like delay with Gen4 hurt Prius, and hybrid Accord had taken on Civic and Camry sales. Also luxury hybrids are up, probably due to discounts and cheaper gas prices.

2. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I didn't say it was a difficult prediction ;)

What will happen depends on how many price reductions manufacturers can make and how big a percentage the rebates are of the cost of the car.

Resale value of the first generation of electrics will be awful as the improvements are coming rather quickly.

Teslas will be less affected by the Leaf, for example, when rebates run out. Simply due to the rebate being a 10% discount on the Model S vs 25% for the Leaf.

If, however, Tesla can lower the price of the Model S by $7500 by the time the credits run out, the affect will be very minor.

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, back to topic, this thread is about 4th Gen Prius.

Model S or X will sell regardless of gas prices or tax credits IMO. I am not in the market for one as I am only interested in plug-in gasoline hybrids. I am not sure what will happen to the around $35,000 EVs if they are not selling well now with the $7500.

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So it is!

Although the second half of your post doesn't seem to match the first :whistle:

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is Toyota planning to give Prius a wider appeal? Where? Mostly in Japan?

7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With the way their products look lately I wouldn't count on it. So far they've been putting a /different/ ugly mask on the same pig.

Maybe they should hire guys from Hyundai, Audi, Mazda, BMW and take some basic styling lessons.

Felt likes this.
  8. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe the next prius is a pickup truck.
    [​IMG]

Stevevee likes this.
  9. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My eyes. One would swear it's photoshopped.

10. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  11. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should graft the new beak of the Prius v on the front of it ;)

12. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't know about you, but there are some things in life that I just do not like to gaze upon. For example a badly deformed baby, or a severely injured veteran. The "beak" of the Prius v is another sight that fortunately I have not seen, and really do not want to see.

13. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looking at concept designs like the NS4, it is clear that there are good designers at Toyota - we have to question why these designs don't come out as production cars. If we conduct a poll here, I am certain more than 90% of us will be in favour of the NS4 design vs. (say) the latest Camry. I cannot imagine the opinion being too different outside of this forum with the general public either.

As Tideland Prius noted earlier, one reason could be the requirement to do well in various safety tests and standards. There is also the simple fact that a mid-generation refresh usually involves minimal effort enhancements - these will be very carefully balanced so that the added engineering resources for refreshing has minimal negative effect on the bottom line so it is not likely that top notch designers will be given a lot of time for these tasks. And think of it this way, suppose they decided to give Prius Gen3 a significant face-lift in 2014 or 2015 taking its design more towards the direction expected for Gen4, the likelihood is that most of us will end up a bit disappointed when we finally see Gen4. Also, how many of us here waiting for Prius Gen4 would be looking to get a mid-refreshed Toyota Hybrid - I would say not many. And I can go on and on... the simple fact is that most of us who contribute to this Prius Fourth Generation Thread have quite a bit in common in terms of what want in Toyota's next generation of hybrids and I think we need to try and not worry too much about Toyota's activity outside of that scope.

I am still optimistic that the Prius Gen4 design will not disappoint us.

14. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the extended time period, we all hope that it is due to rigorous testing of a new battery, sleek and beautiful styling to meet crash tests, and a gazillion other things that will make it the most perfect car evah. In reality, it's probably due to a battery change. This is Toyota after all, and radical changes that make everyone go WOW!!!!!! are simply not in this company's DNA.

With declining sales all around for fuel efficient hybrids, maybe Toyota has made the decision to wait as long as possible the get all of the changes they want now, which could save some bucks on the next upgrade. I think most would wait an extra year or two (already there now), to get the NS4 body, superb battery upgrade and even more.

15. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wonder if the new Prius will get Apple CarPlay.

16. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    The concept NS4 although it looks amazing and I would buy one no doubt, unfortunatly would never work as a production car if it had those (what appear to be) 26+" rims attached to the production veh. It might pull off 30 mpg with those behemoth donk a donk style rims, if you hyper mile... Lol.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm mostly curious to see where Toyota will go with the 4 gen interior: Will it be more mainstream? More luxurious or more eco plastics?

fwiw, since buying a used 2005 Accord sedan for the family last year, I've realized Honda is perfectly capable of pooping its pants design-wise also (like Toyota): this new 9th gen Accord sedan - great driver's seating, legroom, controls, really good. Front passenger legroom - worse than my Prius. Muted passenger footroom and legroom.

I guess with any of these budget, non-luxury cars there's bound to be some 'scratch your head' type of flaws. It's just that the 3rd gen has a couple too many of those IMO.

#3657 cycledrum, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a comfortable interior and stylish exterior would be a radical departure for toyota, and very unlikely, if the latest camry is the best they can come up with.

19. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm just hoping they found a new lightweight way to improve the sound deadening.

20. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Does the Camry still hold the title for most boring car on the planet? Lol

With the refresh it's def better but still not what those funny toyota commercials make it out to be...

"Aggressive fenders, etc" haha!

The A to B folks love em though and they seems like nice and roomy roadtrip cars. I'd actually consider a hyacam for my wife's next car after her Rav's leave is up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.