1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Give this man a prize.

Toyota's goal is to reduce the cost so that the "premium" the customer pay is as little as "possible" (in quotes because Toyota still wants to make a profit).

It is a pity that there's so much emphasis on EV range that total efficient is neglected.

I get the high of driving in EV. I want my next car to be a PHV with good range but I'm pragmatic enough to know that an efficient engine and a large battery cost money. The bigger the battery and more efficient the motor, the less money there is to spend elsewhere (like an advanced ICE). So you either take BMW's route and go all the way down to a tiny engine and tiny gas tank or you lose efficiency and take GM's path (though credit where credit is due, the Volt 2.0 is impressive).

Because the Prius PHV is based on a Prius, it already has the inherent cost of a Prius, compared to a dedicated platform like the Volt.

The Prius PHV vs. Volt is like the Prius vs. Civic Hybrid all over again. The dedicated platform is more flexible for the manufacturer because it's not tied down. (Civic Hybrid tied to the Civic, Prius PHV tied to the Prius).

The only way Toyota can effectively compete with the Volt is if the Prius PHV is a completely different vehicle - different exterior design, interior design, specifications and so forth (ok not completely different but more than what it is now)

2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is interesting to see how Gen4 discussion sways off the subject into side discussions.. yes Plug-in and EV range is important.

So is the ICE, and its thermal efficiency. A few /not really new/ news on ICE:
    Toyota's massive engine overhaul
    does this mean that new Prius will finally have DI?

3. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Passo press release:
    Toyota launches new Passo hatchback in Japan [w/video]

4. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    this probably deserves separate thread:
    Toyota develops high-efficiency ‘free piston’ no-crankshaft combustion engine… to power an EV | ExtremeTech

Something like this (2cyl 30hp) would be a good range extender for series hybrid/EV. Just take fuel cell of Mirai, increase battery pack, stick one of these and you have it

#3804 cyclopathic, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    NR427 likes this.
  5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Use as EV when commuting to work (PiP)? Not when I get on the freeway which is everyday driving to work.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The PiP has been out for nearly 3 years. I called Piercey Toyota parts for the second time yesterday and asked, what is the retail price for the Li Ion traction battery? The answer - $10,000. The same answer I was told a year ago. $10,000 with core credit. How much are people planning to spend to replace their traction battery?
    The service advisor told me she replaced her GenI battery and the job was about $3,200, replaced at 218,000 miles.

What is the range degradation on a PiP traction battery? How many EV miles will it be providing after 8 or 10 years? If one plans to replace the LiIon, how much do they expect to pay or will they just deal with it when the time comes? Will these PiPs have much resale value when car is 10 years old?
    All these questions could be asked about Volt, other plug ins. Maybe these very expensive batteries will last a very long time (15 years, 200k+ miles) I don't know.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think the Toyota CEO should step down. Word is he's had the vision of making more attractive cars (i.e. tasteful materials in the '15 Camrys, unlike uber boring and dorky materials in the 2014.5- Camrys. Now they need to work on fit inside the cabin).

8. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well I for one benefited in a used PiP which was $19k 2012 bought in 2014. I'll get no credits of course, but it was $4k less or so than a new low-end Prius package and about $11k+ lower than when it was new. So there is a resale value for sure, but not as much as people would hope. I guess I could have gotten a $19k 2013 mid-package Prius (which I saw as a possibility)...

However, right now I have 9.8 miles EV in the winter. It started off at 11 and went down. I of course expect it to go right back up in the spring, and btw, this February had been nasty.

According to my spreadsheets. We drive the PiP (wife and I) at an average of 45 mpg in hybrid mode. We also both drive (but much less) a Prius 2010, and it's getting 38 mpg. I am certain that the PiP has more mpgs but also can 'cheat' mpgs if it has a full battery. So it's already becoming and interesting test...

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That must be a mistake. I would check with another dealer.
    As for how long it will last, Toyota treats the batteries very kindly, not allowing it to get close to 0% or too full, so I would expect the battery to last at least 10 if not 15 years.

I don't know the specifics of the batteries Toyota uses, however, it is pretty easy in a PHEV to treat the batteries very kindly.

The battery pack for the Leaf is $6500. Considering the much larger size I can't see how Toyota gets away with $10,000 unless it is simply another manufactured reason for them to dismiss electric vehicles.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    MSRP = Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price

Who actually ever pays that much? Back when I worked retail, that value was an absurd thing to even bother referencing. Yet, our signs always included it next to the actual price.

Let's try to be realistic. No one is going to have to deal with that price. For that matter, we still have a minimum of 5 years before anyone would even be faced with that decision,

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Fascinating. How many people still think the PIP is an EV. It is not. It is a hybrid that can EV for a short distance. The standard Prius can only EV in "limp mode", no speed, no power.

Technology does march on, but we're not there yet. Unless you are stubborn enough to insist on EV at any cost! Hope you can afford a $100,000 car! ;)

And here in Edmonton, lots of luck. An EV doesn't work too well where there is winter. Which is why just about all manufacturers don't offer them here.

cyclopathic likes this.
  12. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    It is going to be interesting to see how long these PHEV batteries last. Superficially, it seems like the 4.4 kwh battery in the PiP would have to really deteriorate before it reaches the point of no longer being able to support hybrid driving

Even if its rechargable EV miles were to drop down to 5-6 miles after 15 years to the point where people stop bothering to plug it in it would still be at least as capable as a new regular Prius battery.

markabele likes this.
  13. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    $10,000 battery cost is about 1/3 of the total vehicles price! Can't say that about any current ICE vehicles...

14. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    except here in Mass we are offered quite a bit (maybe second to california) in terms of EV options. Ford Fusion Energi, Leaf, PiP, even Tesla...

And it's interesting. The cold does effect the battery but I think it rebounds back, whereas severe effects the battery negatively without rebounding.

15. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Something seems to be missing here...what word did you inadvertently omit?

16. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Heat most likely, which adds another layer of EV concern for those of us in the desert. Tesla's cooling apparatus seems to allay any such fears...Nissan's? Not so much.

It was interesting to read above that the traction battery on a Gen1 Prius in apparently northern CA "only" made it to 218,000 miles. What happened to the other almost 300,000 those Canadian taxis are achieving? Lost to heat? :p

It also makes me wonder how many average miles Arizonans and southern Nevadans are achieving on their Gen 1 Prii.

17. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Heat is the word..I'm curious to see how my 2012 pip and 2010 prius last as I am a severe battery abuser, trying to run ev whenver I can in all climates (-10, 100+ etc...)

18. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Being in Tucson, AZ, I was well aware of the Prius "heat-vs-battery" problem, so we'll see for ourselves with our Prius.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was in the focus group on the PiP and they were talking about the heater for the PHV test cars, I asked them about cold weather performance for the heater (i.e. how cold before it would be useless). Toyota asked, "how cold are you talking about?" and I replied, "-40" and there was (briefly) stunned silence, followed by "where the heck do you live?".

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well said.(y)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.