1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scripto

scripto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I see the Prius as an optimization of economy and utility. I think the original G4 preserved this optimization by increasing efficiency while retaining cargo space, visibility, etc. We saw mules that looked almost exactly the same as the G3. Then, the higher-ups mandated a sportier look, if not driving characteristic. Something had to give in the efficiency/utility equation, which contributed to the delay. I don't think mpg would be sacrificed, so that left utility to absorb the blow. Can you still carry the same amount of stuff and still see out the back? This is where I think people who care nothing for appearances might be disappointed. But new buyers will look at the car, and look at the mpg, and not know/care what's missing from previous versions. BTW, I'm OK with that, it's how I rationalize the delay and temper my expectations.

Trollbait and Tideland Prius like this.
  2. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    This delay is going to cost me. Our family has 2 2010s, a 2012 PiP, and a 2014 Prius v. But instead of getting a 5th Prius, it looks like I'm going for a model S.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if Toyota will keep the sporty flat-bottomed steering wheel in the 4G.

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd love to be well-heeled enough to incur such a cost.

markabele likes this.
  5. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hope it doesn't get a wider stance. I love squeezing my G2 through narrow spaces. Sporty usually means wider.

scripto likes this.
  6. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, it's odd how car volume tends to stay the same, so that when height is reduced, width goes up...ala' automotive girth growth!

7. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We have been told that the new TNGA platform will feature a lower centre of gravity. We have also seen that with some of the more recent Toyota/Lexus hybrids, the batteries are placed under seats and even split into two. Therefore, it seems Toyota has had some success dealing with some of the fundamental constraints that influenced the classic wedge shape of G2 and G3. Then you look at it from an image perspective, the Prius is no longer carrying the green crown for Toyota, we have Mirai doing that job so the Prius does not need to sport that recognizable eco look. Then you think about Toyota's aspirations for the Prius and hybrids in general - they will be looking to sell this car to a wider group and I would go so far as to say that considering the future potential with technologies such as supercaps and SiC, Toyota will be aiming to replace best sellers like Corolla and so there will come a day when Toyota will cease production of ordinary non hybrid cars. I think the shape, design, price, etc. of its hybrid cars will begin to reflect this transition.

#3927 cmth, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    Tideland Prius and Stevevee like this.
  8. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The PROBLEM is aerodynamics vs. marketing aesthetics.

Power is a cubic function of velocity (highway speeds), not of eye-candy flanks or Godzilla mouth grills. So power (gasoline, hydrogen, or electrons) is primarily aero-driven, with weight coming in second as a squared function of rolling resistances.

9. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    cmth - Great post. I always like reading your comments.

The absence of any test mule activity (that we have been able to detect) for all these many months, might suggest the g4's new hybrid system is tested and ready for production. Might that suggest the delay is solely due to the exterior design, which I doubt would need extensive testing?

#3929 Felt, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    cmth likes this.
  10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The exterior design test would be in a wind tunnel.

11. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Felt, likewise I read your posts in great detail and I find your ability to stir interest, stay on topic and be open to different points of view very commendable while we discuss hybrid cars and Prius G4 on this thread.

And you may be right that the delay could be to do with issues outside the scope of the hybrid system. In a way, I still think it is good that there have been no leaks or giveaways done prematurely because I can remember several other companies e.g. Pergeot 3008 hybrid where they previewed the car well ahead of the production date so much so that years later when it did make it into production, the specifications of the car had degraded significantly and worse still, its price was higher than predicted.

Having said all that however, I think it is time Toyota gave us some indication on approximately when we can expect to hear about G4. I am also hoping that when they announce Prius G4, there will also be some indication of what other models are planned for the 2015/16 timeframe.

#3931 cmth, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Felt likes this.
  12. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That's a great post cmth. Toyota has been forced onto the battlefield again the past several years. One of the things Toyota has to deal with is fighting for the Camry sales, as well as dealing with a variety of issues like the offset test, manufacturing issues, and the CAFE rules. Toyota is financially strong, and so is most of their competition now.

Rather than put out another bland update that will please the devoted faithful, I hope Toyota has spent this much time planning for the next 5-10 year period. I think about a new, stylish and modern Prius, a car that will have other brands go WOW! Smaller and more powerful batteries, better systems overall, and a better platform to expand upon. I think you cmth have this right. While the Corolla name will live on, I can definitely see it becoming a model within Prius at some point. But now, replacing the current hatchback with a sleek design will probably double sales. If they can use the platform elsewhere, economies of scale would be very beneficial.

I wonder how much battery production has caused this lengthy delay?

cmth and Felt like this.
  13. scripto

scripto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Personally, if the new design results in a significant loss of cargo space, I wouldn't see any advantage over the new Volt for my driving patterns. And if the Mirai is the new "green car", I'm wondering what Toyota will do about plugins for the next few decades. As for the idea that the new platform brings "sportiness" for free (without radical changes in body design), I really hope that's true, to minimize compromises in other departments.

14. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, the lack of cargo space has proven to be a negative for a lot of buyers. There should be no reason to lose spec in the next gen by making it more visually appealing. There's so much to be gained by making the next Prius a mainstream car.

15. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry, but the hatchback is the most aerodynamic body style, so it's doubtful Toyota could even consider switching the Prius to a new different body design...to do so just isn't realistic...because it's ALL about aerodynamics at highway speeds for achieving minimized drag so LESS energy (gasoline or electric) is required to maintain vehicle speed.

16. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If Mercedes can do a .22 on the CLA, Toyota could certainly match that in a Prius, now at .25 I think. Mazda 3 right behind at .26. Both of those cars are very nicely done. Peugot 508 at .25.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welp, it needs to be a good redesign considering hybrid market share consistently under 3% here.

18. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but will the new redesign impact the Prius c and v (lowercase v) or will it be limited to only the Prius and Prius plug-in?

19. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only problem is that CLA does not have .25, they cheated ;)

Tandem Rider likes this.
  20. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    FriarNurgle - The reason you have not seen it, is because Toyota has not said (as far as anyone on this thread knows).

Personally (and I could be 100% in error), I cannot image Toyota would upgrade one and not all. There are those that disagree.
    I know the c and the v were introduced at different times, but IF (and I don't know the answer) IF they are assembled on the same assembly line, it make no sense to me that one car coming down the line would be a G4 and the next car would be the current model.

Lets wait and see, and we will all be surprised together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.