1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I have a compendium of rumors about the Gen IV and some even mention the 2nd Gen PiP. Here are the differences by web site/magazine. If they offer nothing other than the TNGA, 10% MPG improvement, AWD, or ICE thermal efficency of 42%,I just put nothing new:

1) Two distinct models. Base model will have the tried and true NiMH battery and 55 mpg. Eco model will feature Lithium-Ion battery and super capacitors to give us 60 mpg. (2016 Toyota Prius Updates, Pricing and Release Date)

2) Same as above but also a micro-channel cold plate (Think Smart » Blog Archive » The Next Toyota Prius Will Surprise You)

3) Nothing new (Fourth-Generation Toyota Prius Delayed Until December 2015 - The Green Optimistic)

4) Plug-in will get a more distinctive look (Do Falling Sales Spell Doom For The Toyota Prius? - Gas 2)

5) Code name 690A (
    Next-Gen Toyota Prius Production Pushed Back to December 2015 - Motor Trend WOT
    )

6) Nothing new (Toyota reveals details on next-generation Prius hybrid: 55 MPG goal and likely 2015 release : TreeHugger)

7) Nothing new (
    Toyota outlines plans for its next-gen Prius and future hybrids - Kelley Blue Book
    )

8) Nothing new (Toyota Forced to Delay Production for Fourth Generation Prius – Insider Car News)

9) Nothing new (4th Generation Toyota Prius to be Lighter, More Efficient and More Dramatic Looking » AutoGuide.com News)

10) Nothing new (Next-gen Prius launch delayed 6 months )

11) Toyota will have “pronounced differences between the regular lift back and plug-in variants (Next-Gen Toyota Prius Underwent a Last Minute Redesign)

12) Nothing new (2015 Toyota Prius: This is what to expect [video])

13) Toyota will stick with NiMH for the lift back and Lithium Ion for the Plug-in (Rumored: Gen. IV Prius Will Have Electric 4WD - EVWORLD.COM)

14) Nothing new (First Look at the 2015 4th Gen Toyota Prius | Balancing Act)

15) Nothing new - hard to read. While a lot of these sites post differing concept cars this one is really…….different. (gen 4 prius | 2015 Concept Car)

16) And of course The Onion nails it (New Prius Helps Environment By Killing Its Owner | The Onion - America's Finest News Source)

Sergiospl likes this.
  2. 4EVsHybrids

4EVsHybrids Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't want to add anymore to the speculation conspiracy, but I spoke to my neighbor here in Torrance, who works for Toyota. She stated that the 4th gen Prius is style wise is different than the 3rd gen. She said it looked a lot sleeker. I asked about the rear hatch which she complained about on the 3rd gen and she stated it has somewhat the same limited vision rear hatch. She didn't know when they are going to introduce it?

3. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You know, I still laugh at people who comment the Prius is underpowered. They are being controlled by certain oil co. execs.
    I say this because when I give a friend a ride in Pearl S, almost every time, (when it's their first time in the car), they comment "wow, this thing accelerates hard". Usually after I've had to avoid other morons on the road. ;)

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Acceleration and how it hugs a curve are two different things though.;)
    Most people have been brain washed by car reviewers and marketing into believing high power numbers are important for every day drivers.

Ashlem and mozdzen like this.
  6. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most cars need only about 15 hp at 55 mph...unless it's an aero-brick!

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing about power and acceleration rate is slower cars take more planning to keep out of trouble: If you're late seeing that Big Rig barreling down on you in slow lane as you're trying to speed up and merge, you could end up off the road or run into a concrete barrier. Think this doesn't happen? A few truckers love to intimidate slow little cars.

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    btw, new Scion iA(sedan) headed for NY spotted, looking good imo! Picture 2 - Exposed: Scion's NY bound iA sedan

Attached Files:

9. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine on my C sounds like it's about to bust a piston when I need to accelerate quickly...I recall the hatchback being a little more at ease when one gets punchy. A natural progression with the smaller engine and lower hp of the C, I suppose.

10. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been taking the interstate more because the surface roads have become a real pain to get to and from work. Almost every major road in my area has construction going on. I've had to drive with the PWR button on the car not to get run over when not in a sticky spot. My MPG has gone down down down because of it. But at least I have 30 minutes less time commuting.

My love for my Prius has slowly waned over the past 6 months. I still love the MPG, the color, the styling, and the features I have. I don't know, maybe I've just lost that lovin' feelin'? :( Maybe I want a little more oomph also? I wonder if they sell extenze for driving? :whistle: Or maybe I should rent something else every so often just to remind me why I loved the car?

11. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Acceleration is fine if you put it into sport mode. I've often embarrassed hot rodders by leaving them in the dust at a red light, and then braking to stay under the speed limit. Eco mode is made to have sluggish acceleration, and I run it on eco mode 99% of the time.

12. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Power mode doesn't make it accelerate faster. It just makes the pedal touchier.

Mendel Leisk and 70AARCUDA like this.
  13. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Very few professional truck drivers want anything to do with four wheelers. If you don't keep up with traffic and become a pain in the right lane or center lane then, it might seem like they are picking on you. Remember that trucks burn a lot of fuel and can take forever to regain the momentum that you cost them by your maneuver. Perhaps on the GEN4 they will have a rig simulation mode to educate problem drivers.

14. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Luckily in another 10-20 years when all truck driving is totally driverless this will be a moot point.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me be more explicit, so you hopefully get the point: Big Rig is barreling down the freeway in slow lane, farthest to right, Prius is accelerating on the entry ramp. Prius driver looks over shoulder, maybe slightly late to see Big Rig behind their position, but plowing along at 65 MPH while Prius has barely made it up to 40 MPH on the ramp. Prius driver thinks they can get in front of the Big Rig, but getting from 40 to 65 MPH is taking longer than they thought. Big Rig does NOT yield and forces Prius onto the shoulder, which if Prius is lucky, the shoulder is paved.

This very scenario played out for me with Sunstate tractor trailer carrying heavy digging equipment on its flatbed. You said trucks take forever to regain their momentum, so they do not like to slow down. Ok, go ahead and pick me apart for not seeing the truck sooner, but my Prius felt kinda wheezy on that ramp.

I see driver's misuse the rightmost lane all the time. They do not realize that lane is for entering and exiting the freeway and they do not always move over or yield. This type of driving causes accidents, Unsafe lane changes, following too closely and failure to yield causes many accidents.

0 to 60 in 10 seconds (Prius) is just that. It takes a little more planning to merge.

Hopefully the 4th gen Prius gets a couple more total HP and loses 50 lbs curb weight.

16. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Would need MORE than 50 lbs LESS weight to accelerate faster...

Current WT-to-HP ratio is something like 24-25:1, not conducive to "snap & jerk" accelerations.

#4096 70AARCUDA, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We don't want 4th gen Prius liftback to be too lightweight and flighty, now do we? Say it together ...... NOOOOOO! :p

18. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    In my 15 years with Priuses, I've never considered acceleration to be insufficient for merging onto the highway.

No, it's not a fast accelerator, but it's fast enough for safe driving on big North American highways.

19. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't worry about the truckers, or even robotic trucks. According to Hawking, Musk and the Woz, in 10-20 years the AI controlled robotic species we will create will have probably eliminated all of us anyway.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be worse. I've had people change into the right lane with a trailer as I was planning to merge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.