1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a Lexus CTh 200 last year, and exchanged it for a Prius v after a year to gain a larger car. I at least cannot really say the Lexus was obviously more luxurious or a better drive than the wagon.

markabele likes this.
  2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't drove the Lexus yet... Almost afraid to! But reviews stated the Avalon was way cheaper for the same goodies and comfort. ... I don't know if that's true myself.
    I'm thinking the Avalon could be nicer than the Lexus based on your statement?

They also tweaked it this year to
    bring in a younger cleientel by stiffening the suspension and making it a little peppier.

I love it in sport mode... Much funner than my gen 3 in sport mode.

Seems they could make the gen 4 with a smoother quieter ride too since the car is smaller and still keep mileage.

But like someone mentioned, it's a much bigger challenge to improve an already perfect mpg than improve a car that's grossly inefficient to start with.

The Camry and Avalon have more weight but is offset with a bigger engine "2.5 liter" to maintain performance....

I have fallen in love with the ride so much it's worth the 10mpg loss to me.

After all, it's really not all about just getting from point A to B nor gas mileage or we would use a skate board or walk or splurge and get a moped!

While it's very fun to have bragging rights and see how far 10 gallons of gas will go, a car is where we "live" a major portion of our day and lives and I for one like the lush, comfort and ride more than a few extra cold coins in my pocket.

Alan.. Sent with Tapatalk 2

WE0H and Tideland Prius like this.
  3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a very true statement that a lot of people on this forum need to come to grips with.

WE0H and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Both Avalon & ES 300h have good reviews.
    Video - Lexus ES 300h: A Smooth, Elegant Guilt-Eraser - WSJ.com
    2013 Lexus ES 300h Review: A Smooth, Elegant Guilt-Eraser | Rumble Seat by Dan Neil - WSJ.com
    Review: 2013 Lexus ES 300h Hybrid (Video) | The Truth About Cars

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just wish the Lexus and Camry didn't have the goofy ill-shaped body kits. Bleh

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No it's not! Can a skateboard, moped or walking provide the same speed, people and cargo capacity as a Prius? If not, the comparison is invalid.

My Mom has an Avalon and I greatly prefer my Prius, and not only for the mileage but also for the liftback.

7. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My point was there are much more eco friendly and cheaper options than buying a new Prius. Buying used cars with good fuel economy is one of them.

8. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You have pointed out the very point I was making. Options, cargo space, comfort are all very important factors besides mere transportation that could be achieved many other inconvenient ways.. Such as Carpooling, trains, taxi., or sitting in the back of a pickup truck after hitch hiking.

Having creature comforts is part of the desired package.

I can't speak from experience but the reviews have pointed out that the 2013 Avalon steps away from the "boat for old folks" image both in looks and performance.

I enjoy driving my prius in sport mode because I don't like the feel of an economy car when I press the accelerator.
    We all have different priorities and no car gives it all for no money. Everything is a give and take.... We give money, they give services and merchandise.

I'm simply saying you get what you pay for.

You never do yourself any favors to look in a nicer house than you can afford when shopping because you will realize what you don't have.

Cars can be the same way. Especially if you drive one a few days and then go back.

The prius is a phenomenal car, but it is what it is, and no more.

While it has world renown features, the prius quite frankly has evolved at a snails pace the last few years while everyone else is catching up and even surpassing in some areas.

Toyota makes gas guzzling powerhog commercial trucks and also makes gas sipping prius's.

They also make luxury cars that beat most every non-hybrid economy car in mileage while maintaining luxury and features not found in those cars.

Everyone gets to decide what they want to drive and has to assess how bad they want it verses less.

The smug attitude of driving a car because it's one of a kind will now cost you much more money. :)... I would start with Tesla.

I'm quite frankly frustrated with Toyota for resting in this race.

I expected much more gas mileage when the Gen 3 came out..... While it's fun to get excited about the new, it appears the Gen 4 does not appear to be shattering any records and may be another let down.

Until I see something amazing in gas mileage I will forfeit 10 mpg and go for quality and luxury.

You can take this personal if you want and put the prius on a pedestal, but it's time for Toyota to again show the world how its done and start using new technology rather than more of the same that's merely lighter and smaller.

Alan.. Sent with Tapatalk 2

WE0H likes this.
  9. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really hope Toyota will come up with an unbeatable design again for Gen 4. Especially here is Europe, competition from clean diesels is high. And I know its been moaned about over and over again but Toyota needs ensure that new material used would not result in rattles and noise over time, we simply cannot have a car of this calibre rattle.

With regard to the design of Gen 4, when the NS4 was previewed, I told myself I am definitely getting one if the Gen4 looked anything like the NS4. I also like what I have heard so far about the Gen4- e4wd, larger tyres etc and there have reports the Gen4 will remain in the same price bracket which is something Toyota got absolutely right so it is looking like Toyota is heading in the right direction.

11. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I fear I agree. If that is what the G4 looks like .... there will not be one in my garage.

That said .... I really doubt it will resemble that depiction.

12. 4EVsHybrids

4EVsHybrids Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why do you say Toyota is resting in this race? You understand the 3rd Gen HSD Patents are to set to expire in 2014 and the 4th Gen HSD is production ready with the 2015 Prius. I would expect Ford, Nissan, and others would jockey to buy the 3rd gen HSD Patents in a heartbeat to reverse engineer it to see if they could compete with the 4th Gen Prius HSD. Ford did that with the 2nd Gen HSD and you get the Fusion and C-Max hybrids. Try as they may, Toyota already has the 5th Gen HSD in development while the Germans are still scratching their buts on that Cancer causing Dinosaur Technology called Clean Diesels. If the 4th Gen HSD is already speculated to be 60 MPG combined, why would I want to get a plugin Hybrid and watch my Solar Panels get sucked dry charging it?

13. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Butt ugly? Ouch. I think a Prius owner complaining about car styling might be similar to George Costanza complaining about a woman's looks.

jhinsc likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Barring a substantial weight loss and significant HSD improvements, I think +10mpg would be hard to achieve in one generation, especially one from 50-60mpg. I would probably expect 5mpg as a more realistic goal.

15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm REALLY hoping for an active grill shutter system. What are my chances?

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea. There will be a few hurdles to overcome (e.g. can it withstand damage from stones? Is there a failsafe to keep it open in case the motor fails, what if the temperature sensor fails and it thinks it's colder and keeps the shutters closed?)

17. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Guys, how about putting together wishlist(with voting capability) on the forum for the 4th gen prius ? And someone can forward it to Toyota later on, I am sure they will be interested in constructive customer feedback.

We have to be careful to avoid technical stuff in there(No engine tech, hybrid tech, body shape, material, etc) because those are best left up to Toyota to decide. I will start with several items:

* Better built dashboard - we really dont want rattles
    * Better road noise isolation
    * LEDs wherever possible as standard (dash,hood,boot,etc)
    * LED headlights as an option for all grades
    * Xenon lights as an option

18. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I like your enthusiasm but I'm sure the final version is very close to being done, so our input would have zero impact.

Also, those first two things you listed are probably never going to happen in a Prius. It is built light with lightweight and probably cheap materials. You might need to consider a HyCam, HyAv, or LexusH if you want those things.

19. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have been following this and related threads closely because I will be in the market for either a 2014 or 2015.
    As of this moment, I do not like either of the artist depictions of the 2015.

I am comforted that from the 2009 to the 2010, there was not a radical change in appearance. Hopefully, that will be true in the G4. Personally, I like the G3 design, and would be content with a minor improvements, better materials, better milage, and quieter ride. Personally, AWD would not interest me; and a smaller vehicle would most definitely send me elsewhere. So, I am in a wait and see mode.

20. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Highly unlikely that it looks more like the artist rendering than the Gen3. Doubt the materials inside will get much better, luxury is not their aim. Guessing the mileage will be a bit better. I would be surprised if it got better than 55 combined though. A smaller vehicle than the Gen3 is also highly unlikely.

fwiw, I'm not making these assumptions based on anything I've heard but simply my knowledge of branding and business. A lot of this stuff is business 101.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.