1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could be lighter as long as it's a lower center of gravity. I believe it'll have better handling and better acceleration. Have we beat the gen3 speculation thread yet?

2. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This is another area I know little about, but
    Why does a Porsche (and race cars) have devices to exert down force. They have low weight, low center of gravity, but need the downward force to keep them on the road.

Light i great for a low speed town car, but at highway speeds, here in the west where the wind is frequently 30 and 40 mph, passing a truck would be terrifying

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they are designed for 200 mph, which will cause the car to lift without them. the buying public simply enjoys paying for the thought that they could be driving lemans.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    So you're all saying a Datsun 510 was terrifying to drive? Not likely. It was a hoot. And weighted right around 2000 lbs. Of course if they wanted to make them again now they'd have to add another 1000 lb to make them crash worthy. ;)

Most cars have "upforce" in the rear at high speeds. Hence, in Europe, certain cars have spoilers that deploy when they speed up, and others just have them deployed all the time. This is to ensure they don't swap ends on the autobaun at 160 km/hr. ;)

5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Indeed.

Over the last 15 years, I initially drove about 7500 miles per year, and now I drive about 10000 miles a year. During those 15 years, I've only owned Priuses.

giora and bisco like this.
  6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You're assuming most people who buy a Prius buy it for the gas mileage alone.

That was just one of several reasons I bought mine. If it had not been a hybrid, I would still have bought it over any other car available at the time. A "crossover", in any form, is not a car that will interest me.

Oil, used as an energy source, is an evil thing. I'd love to use zero but BEVs aren't anywhere near ready for prime time (Tesla's are a good example) and no one has done a hydrogen vehicle correctly yet (including Toyota). The best alternative is to use as little oil as possible by driving less, driving efficiently, and driving an efficient car.

7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  9. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    And some have spoilers "borrowed" from another car;)

#4669 giora, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trrrraction!!!!! They need traction from the tires and LOTS of it. They are ripping so hard around those turns, need tire traction from extra downforce.

Those massive spoilers on top fuel dragsters add downforce. The rear tires are huge but can easily lose grip with a 10,000 HP nitro engine (that is what they estimate the top fuel cars put out these days. Not a typo, they say ten thousand HP.

12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Low rolling resistance tires + 40psi = less "grip" around corners!

70AARCUDA likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bigger spoiler on gen IV.;)

14. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BMW and Toyota exchanged some information, Toyota uses BMW diesels, wonder if they also exchanged info about CFRTP.

I don't see 20% lighter Prius as so preposterous thing, side wind is not a problem in a low profile Prius shaped car, but realistically I expect 10% lower weight. I didn't see much negativism about Mazda 3 or Golf that already weight 10% less than Prius.

bisco likes this.
  15. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A true "...leaf in the wind..." (not necesssarily a Nisson Leaf) ?

16. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I said before, this is not a field that I have any knowledge, BUT

Does it not seem reasonable that a vehicle that touts fuel efficiency, would want to be as light as possible?
    Does it not seem reasonable that at highway speeds , a car must put more weight on the road (cornering, braking and cross winds)?
    Isn't that why some cars like the Porsche, deploy a deflector only at high speed?
    Is that why the Prius is shaped the way it is (light weight, but at speed, puts more downward force from the wedge shape)?
    Just curious.

17. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Felt likes this.
  18. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As I said above. Almost all vehicles produce lift in the rear at higher speeds. If it's enough, it can unload the rear wheels. The Audi two seater (forget the model) lifted the rear wheels enough the car would loose control on the autobaun in Germany. Hence, in Europe, it was mandated that it have a "spoiler" to reduce the rear lift. The "new Beetle" is the same. Audi added an automatic deploying spoiler (so it wouldn't detract from the "good looks" I guess). It had a "cool factor" as well. :) The "Beetle" has a fixed spoiler.
    Most of the aero effects used simply introduce turbulence to defeat the lift. Proper wings to produce downforce don't work unless you're going very fast, faster than permitted in North America. Most race cars start to notice the aero effects above 80 MPH, and they become effective above 100 MPH.
    Remember the Toyota Supra? It had a rear wing, which produced about 40 lbs of downforce at 100 MPH. I remember that from someone who owned one bragging about it. ;)

For reference, an F1 car produces so much downforce at speed (250-300 km/hr) it -could- drive on the underside of an overpass. ;)

You won't get that on any street legal car. You can't go fast enough. It also causes a lot of drag, which ruins mileage.

Finally, I learned with my 1993 Mazda RX-7 that the rear wing actually had only one function. It impeded the view when backing up. ;)

Felt likes this.
  19. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Thank you GasperG and David Beale. So much for that explanation of the Prius wedge shape

20. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    FWIW, the "slipperiest" shape is one that produces neither "lift" nor "down force" whatsoever so that it yields the lowest drag coefficient.

Front-end lift unloads the front tyres reducing steering control. Rear-end lift unloads the rear driven tyres reducing power delivery to the road. And, both are dangerous at racing speeds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.