1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Huh ... that whole video is a guy talking into his phone while viewing some web site on it, with only part of the URL showing.

It seems to be this.

Or, in Google Translate...

-Chap

#4821 ChapmanF, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, alright ....

civicdriver06 and Felt ....

what do you want the 4th gen Prius to look like? The NS4?

Common sense tells me Toyota could not get rid of the spoiler / split rear window (Kammback shape) AND retain the cargo space that is VITAL to Prius success.

What I see from the Thailand / Torrance spy shots is a totally redesigned Prius 'liftback'. There is NO WAY the spy shots are a 3rd gen Prius. The 'spy car' clearly looks to have a lower stance, more aggresive stance and lower center of gravity.
    The 'spy car' does not look as BLOATED as the 3rd gen Prius. It looks sleeker and trimmer.

The main change in body shape will be an angle between hood and windshield line instead of 3rd gen's straight hood to windshield line.

Body panels are not everything. Prius needs to be lighter, quieter driving, better handling, hopefully a MUCH MORE hip interior with a good tight layout and (I hope) comfortable, seats, great controls, buttons, screens.
    MERGED
    POP QUIZ: What EV is a LIFTBACK (not hatchback) and has NO SPLIT REAR window?

A: Tesla Model S

So, let's say we forget the NS4, Elantra, Sonata and others and ask ourselves ....

Could a 176 inch long , 70 inch wide 'Model S - Prius' ** offer the passenger AND cargo space of the 3rd gen Prius, or very close to it?

** 4th gen Prius.

Seems above is a moot question at this point because Toyota retained most of Prius shape.. But, many people around here have been pining for a 'Model S - Prius' in my opinion.

For Ref - Tesla Model S is 196" long and 77" wide. Quite a large footprint to work with.

#4822 cycledrum, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't care for the model s looks. beautiful car, but i'm more utilitarian.
    MERGED
    let's go guys, were almost at post #5000.(y)

#4823 bisco, Jun 19, 2015
  4. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    cycledrum - I have no disagreement with your POV. We all see something different, however. The "mule" shots we have seen so far, are so heavily concealed, I cannot see that it has a " lower stance, more aggresive stance and lower center of gravity." I am not sure that a lower center of gravity will be achieved by it's 3D shape. The Tesla S achieved it by putting a 1200 pound battery beneath the floor.

You specifically ask what I would like to see. This was an early artist depiction, and I thought it was 1) beautiful, and 2) a natural progression from the G3. But, I do not think this is what the G4 will look like. BTW, I personally like the wedge shape. Prius_4-20131025 (1).jpg Prius_4-20131025 (1).jpg

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG]
    Classic Prius design style with the spoiler that I like more than anything else, This shot!

I am offering something else to those who want a car that does not look like a Prius!
    On sale now!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    meh, something about hyundai doesn't sit right with me.

7. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    50 km range for the PiP? Yay! (If true.) Wait, how does that compare to the 3rd gen's Japanese spec?

Late 2016.. What?!?

Anas Almustafa likes this.
  8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Comments on the photo in your post

1) Height of the front and side windows are reallllly low. I really think the outward visibility would be pretty poor

2) I would think the rear end shown would cause excess aerodynamic drag

3) This is subjective, but it is pretty weird looking to me. I do not think a car looking like that would sell very well. It is basically too 'odd'.

I think both Hyundai and Toyota are saying, hey, this Kammback 'wedge', split rear window shape sells decently. We are going to stick with it, but change up the front a bit with a more 'normal' looking hood and windshield. And here comes the 4th gen Prius and Hyundai 'Prius fighter'.
    MERGED
    So much focus (here) on exterior design of 4th gen Prius. When driving, interior design matters more to me than exterior. If I don't like the interior design and especially everything that affects my body, I reject the car for possible purchase no matter how good it looks outside.

#4828 cycledrum, Jun 19, 2015
    bisco, Sergiospl and Trollbait like this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It does have gobs of cargo space.

10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2014 Toyota Prius
    Passenger Volume 94 ft3 (Hatchback)
    Luggage Volume 22 ft3 (Hatchback) + spare tire

2014 Tesla Model S
    Luggage Volume 26 ft3 (Hatchback) No spare tire

2014 Audi A7 quattro
    Luggage Volume 25 ft3 (Hatchback)

#4830 Sergiospl, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Plus 5.3 cubic feet of space in the front trunk of the S. Which is plenty for a spare, if desired, with left over room.
    Model S Specifications | Tesla Motors

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, price aside, can i load it up with 2 x 4's and such? it doesn't look like it from the outside.
    MERGED
    i agree, interior is very important, but i will buy it no matter, and don't have any major complaints with gen III. that being said, they do need to try to make interior and exterior attractive to a larger segment of the public. from what i've seen so far, it ain't gonna get her done, but it's premature.

#4832 bisco, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  13. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    How often do you buy new vehicles? You're not going to wait for the plug-in since you have one now? Not even contemplating any BEVs?

14. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I actually absolutely love this design, I remember when this image was first posted alongside its front view, I told myself I have to have it no matter what and that I'd be genuinely proud to own one. Unfortunately, the recently spotted camouflaged car doesn't quite stir my interest looks wise but maybe its features and performance will who knows.

Felt likes this.
  15. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    cmth - It is nice to know you agree. I appreciate that. Like you, when I first saw the depiction, I was encouraged. It appeared along about the time several other depictions were coming out that, in my mind, were absolutely horrible.

It will be very interesting to see what Toyota does with the G4. I am not as anxious about it as I once was. Sometimes I think I will discontinue reading PriusChat, but I always return.

Have you watched any of the programs on the Velocity Network about how cars are made. Recently they featured the Tesla S, and the Corvette, and others. I watch those robots assemble complex panels and make precise welds and realize that a human must program all those robots. With Toyota going to the new platform, I suppose that means everything will need to be programmed new. That has to require a long time, even after the finished design is finalized.

We shall see before too long. I just hope Toyota can continue the success they have enjoyed in the past.

cmth likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    every 4 years or so. i am going to wait for the plug in. i meant that i'm assuming they will look identical again. i could probably live with a 150 mile bev, so we'll see what's out there when the next pip is ready.

17. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Graduated to the Model S. Passed the 2010 to my son. Planning to trade in the 2012 PiP for the 2017 PiP if the 2017 PiP wows me. Not using gasoline is addictive.

Ashlem and bisco like this.
  18. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Huh? Who drives the PiP? Why go to 2nd gen PiP when you have a Tesla already :p

19. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Good man at keeping those options open. I think my floor is 200 miles...Model 3 is thus heavy on the mind. Tired of being at the direct whim of fuel prices and the cartel/speculators. I'm sure my pup (C) can survive until it reaches production.

Ashlem and bisco like this.
  20. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am not too different actually, there was a time when I would check for Prius G4 web updates several times during the day and I even started making plans to sell my G3. However, with news of G4 getting delayed, I seem to appreciate my G3 even more now and rather than rushing to replace it, I am going to enjoy it for as long as I can.

With Toyota registering the "Prius Prime" name, TNGA, etc. I have hopes that the wait will be worthwhile, let's see.

Hadn't come across Velocity Network before but I watched a few of the videos just now, very interesting and makes one appreciate the work that goes into building the supporting infrastructure capable of producing cars. The design creation process itself might include generation of tool programing data as a by product but I guess there will need to be several test and re-calibration runs before first production car is done - just guessing. I also imagine Toyota would spend a huge amount of effort to test TNGA. In the area of digital IC design which is what I am familiar with, the test effort can multiply ten fold when being designed for re-use rather than a one off design and I can only imagine the same goes for the common re-used components in TNGA.

#4840 cmth, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.