1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't the AWD rumor from the same source that said it will look like that picture that Dianne has already shot down? I could be wrong.

2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't the AWD rumor from the same source that said it will look like that picture that Dianne has already shot down? I could be wrong.

3. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    markabele, I think you are absolutely correct. Please understand, I am only reporting on that which I find on the Internet. Actually, I have previously said that if that depiction is what the G4 actually looks like, there will not be one on my garage. In reality, I have additional doubts, for example 90 mpg???? I find that too much to believe. Personally, I like the "wedge" shape of the current design.

I wish I knew what a "C platform" is. Anyone with any ideas? At one point I read it would be on a Scion frame ... is that a "C platform?" or might a "c" be a new, unique platform?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than it would be a "C segment" car which means it won't be any larger than the current size. That's a good thing (it's quite spacious as is and I don't think too many owners are complaining about the lack of interior room for passengers). It also makes it easier to be a "world car" (i.e. it'll fit in European and Asian streets and parking spots). Toyota's C segment car would be the Corolla/Auris sized cars. It's what we call "compact cars" in North America.

Felt likes this.
  5. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    [ Quote edited]

I am interested in developing the above thought. I looked at the Auris on the Internet, and it is a very attractive vehicle. There is another thread on PriusChat in which it is concluded the 2013 Auris does not give a clue to the G4 power train .... OK .... but might it give a clue to the vehicle deign, with major drive train upgrades in 2015???

6. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota owns Subaru. My friends wife owns a Toyota sports car with a Subaru engine, so I don't suppose that a hybrid hybrid is out of the realm of possibilities.

7. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Subaru and Toyota are sharing engines for the Subaru BRZ and Scion FRS. But, Toyota has no stakes in Subaru.

Subaru has a AWD hybrid coming...Subaru XV Crosstrek. The MPGs don't look promising. But, it's nice to have a smaller AWD option besides the Highlander or RX 450h.

Subaru's first hybrid: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid debuts at New York Auto Show - NY Daily News

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota bought a piece of subaru from gm, its a minority but influential owner. GM has since sold all its subaru stock. Toyota builds some cars in subaru indiana plant, joint developed the brz, and replaced subaru's kei cars with dahatsu.

That hybrid drivetrain in the crosstrek looks weak, but hits a check box. The eAWD in the hylander looks like the future for hybrid on road AWd, but it needs some more development. Perhaps the ford/toyota development project will come up with a major improvement.

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

austingreen likes this.
  10. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the Auris and RAV4 look alike in the front if that's the family resemblance for the next generation of vehicles.

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only in BlueEfficiency trim. That being said, the standard car gets 0.23 I think. I wonder if Toyota will match that. It's tough to design a car that short with a body like that ^. Most cars have to be at least a foot longer to have the proper proportions but MB managed to pull it off.

Maybe Toyota will go with a liftback/fastback design that was one of the original design concepts for the 1G Prius (*How The Prius Shook The World)

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking the camback stays, but the front end starts to look more like that mercedes. The wedge shape up front is 10 years old and I'm sure toyota is ready to change it for something a little more aerodynamic. I think toyota should help the prius with whatever tricks were needed for blue efficiency trim.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. With other manufacturers nipping at its heels, I'm sure Toyota would like to distance the Prius from other vehicles with a gap big enough to warrant a hybrid system. True, 30mpg in the city isn't 51mpg in city but the combined figures of 32-35mpg for regular cars and 40mpg for some hybrids that are bigger and more powerful doesn't stand up well for the Prius.

windstrings and austingreen like this.
  16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 14 car models outselling Prius to date in 2013 all have basically the same center console to center stack design : Comes down sharply from dash and stays low between driver and passenger.

Prius went from totally open space between driver and passenger to this floating bridge console. Toyota is dancing around the mainstream in Prius, so far.

Here's photos of all those other models. Not saying they ought to put 'see the the steering wheel' gauges in 4th gen, but make a mainstream center console from dash to armrest. Being a long legged dude, I use the console edge just to left of shifter to brace a shin on while driving. Nice when it's well placed and no creased edges.

'13 top seller so far, Camry. Standard center console design like the other 13 coming up...

2012-Toyota-Camry-Interior-2.jpg

2013 Accord, very nice

2013-Honda-Accord-Interior-1024x640.jpg

'13 Nissan Altima
    2013-Nissan-Altima-interior-dashboard1-1024x640.jpg

'13 Ford Fusion. All designs basically same, swoop down from dash, low between driver / passenger.

2013-Ford-Fusion-interior-1024x640.jpg

more ...

'13 Toyota Corolla

2013 corolla interior.jpg
    '13 Civic

Civhyint.jpg

2013 Focus

2013-ford-focus-electric-interior.jpg

'13 Elantra

Elantraint.jpg

Chevy Cruze

2013-Chevrolet-Cruze-RS-interior-2-1024x640.jpg

Malibu

2013-Chevrolet-Malibu-Interior-623x389.jpg

Hyundai Sonata

13 sonata interior.png

Chevy Impala

2013-Chevrolet-Impala-interior.jpg

Kia Optima

2013_Kia_Optima_Interior_Design.jpg

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To go before?
    Prius?
    Look at the interior of a Generation 2 Prius, The Generation 3 Prius? When has Prius ever designed based on what OTHER vehicles looked like?

I now own a Gen 3. The Bridge? Yeah, really it's kind of a waste of design, IMO. Given the Prius c, does not have a bridge, nor does The Prius V, I suspect that future incarnations of The Prius may abandon the flying buttress design. Leaving me with the "weird" Prius...as years pass.

Even though I really don't like the flying buttress design, it's kind of benign to me. It is what it is. It lifts some controls up...and conceivably brings them closer.

Basically I could take it or leave it....it does seem like a whole lot of sculpted plastic for little or no advantage.

The thing I think Toyota has to really update in the next incarnation of the standard Prius is the dashboard itself. To me it looks almost Fred Flintstone like. Like a huge chunk of clay or mud, with a deep slit for the information display. For a "high tech" vehicle it looks downright prehistoric.

The Bridge? Meh....If starting from scratch, I certainly wouldn't go in that direction. Now that I own one? I'll complain about the Dash before I will The Flying Buttress.

That_Prius_Car, xpcman and Kit Shah like this.
  18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    VW Jetta

2013-Volkswagen-Jetta-hyrbid-interior-1024x640.jpg

and in #15 spot, the Prius with floating bridge

2012-Toyota-Prius-interior.jpg

and the unusual open space between driver and passenger in 04 - 09 Prius

2nd gen prius-interior.jpg

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cycledrum, you really don't have to post a billion pictures of other vehicles.

I think we get that a majority of common vehicles do NOT employ a flying buttress design.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If my 2011 Prius happened to have the open console space of the 2nd gen 04 - 09 Prius, I'd probably be selling the car starting today. There would be nowhere to rest my right leg. I've got the height adjuster about 9 pumps up now to get the steering low enough so it doesn't point more towards my upper chest and neck. My legs have come up off seat bottom a bit, leg support went down. If lowered mostly down, the seat bottom provides the support, but I won't have the steering wheel pointing towards my neck. Getting used to foam pad for right knee on floating bridge console, but I'd rather be resting my right shin like could do on the other 14.

camera 432.jpg

Electric, my point was to show how similar all 14 other consoles are. Not bashing the current car, just offering my opinion for what I think will help the car sell better and work for more people.

I get it that Toyota is trying be different, but the other models have consoles like they do because they work so well. I happen to think the Prius would sell better if the design was more classic and functional.

Like said before, I would be selling my '11 today with an open space and no place to rest right leg. Can get people to try a new hybrid, but if they ultimately don't like it, they will sell out.

btw, a BMW has a similar console to the 14 models, and they seem to make everything for a purpose and 'ultimate' driving experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.