1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael M. Maslowski

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

You are correct about the technique - no doubt about that. However, the terrain here is not necessarily as steep, as it is more evenly distributed (I should have been more articulate on the matter). There is virtually always a slight hill and extended slope with a few degrees of a difference, especially in the residential areas where you can still practice the pulse & glide in relatively good comfort - have been doing that in my Altima for months; for instance, one of the highways (the 102) here has a few kms of gradual decline anywhere between 2 - 10 degrees downhill. That being said, there is a district in the city where the hill is approx. 1 km long and has around 20 - 25 degrees - that is the one that was testing the Liftback with.

Thanks for your feedback, greatly appreciated :)

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have good success (100+ MPG) on rolling hills, so long as the topography and surrounding traffic does not force me to speeds over 45 mph.

I suspect that one advantage hills have over a level drive is a lower rpm and higher torque during the pulse phase.

Michael M. Maslowski likes this.
  3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My best mileage has always been on the rolling hills roads, especially if the speed limits are around 50. Timed right, one can turn hills into a hyper-pulse and glide experience. Two of my five 15 minute or more 100+ MPG bar graphs have been on some serious hilly roadways.

[​IMG]

This one was going through West Bennington, VT. I should say that taking a picture while driving is not a safe idea. Don't do it.

4. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It would be really high up on my list to replace my current prius hatch model two. I live in Minnesota and front wheel drive is ok, but always liked the security of awd with the snow. a bit more ground clearance wouldn't hurt either. I would look a lot at a Prius V if that came with awd too. Any news about the 2015?

5. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Been without my '05 Prius for about 2 years now and with the HOV program brought back for all-electric models, I will be looking for the 4th generation Prius to be a nice car to win me back. I miss my '05 but for me to pony up the coins for a new Prius the HOV program needs to still be viable. Here's hoping!

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My HOPE is the Prius v will share the new 4gen platform and will add a plug-in version also. That will be a game changer!

priusplusowner likes this.
  7. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Likewise! I hope that the new european version of the v (Prius+) will share the new 4-gen platform with plugin-version available. 95% of my trips are in urban areas and shorter than 10-15 km. A plugin would make all the difference to me.

8. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a Gen 3 which will be nearing 5yrs of use next year so I too am on the lookout for news of the next prius. I have also heard the NS4 will come as a separate model so will probably wait till that is also annouced before buying but common expectation is it will be more expensive than regular prius.

Either way AWD would be really good as I live in Scotland where the winter can be rough. I don't expect more ground clearance though as it would impact mpg and handling.

Felt likes this.
  9. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why can't Toyota announce something about the next gen platform, I am desperate for some reliable news :)
    Of course I wouldn't expect it to be like GM where the CEO has already boasted about the capabilities of the next Volt.

Come to think about it, I can't recall last time round how long it was before launch, we first heard official news about Prius Gen 3 but this time we know the whole HSD design will undergo change with the expiry of key patents so there is absolutely nothing to go by.

Some have predicted Gen4 will be an incremental update from Gen3 retaining the engine but upgrading key components but knowing Toyota that too is hard to believe as successive generations have had radical overhaul to the engine.

So in summary... we know nothing definite about gen 4.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The current gen v is based on gen3. Next gen v should be gen4.

11. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

And then the next gen v after will be Gen 5 eventually how confusing

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2010 Gen3 -> 2012 Prius v gen1
    2015 Gen4 -> 2017 Prius v gen2?

13. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd guess 2018 Prius v Gen 2. Gen II and I'm predicting Gen III liftback will last 6 model years, so Prius v came out 2012, right? 2012 + 6 = 2018. Just assumptions though and you know what that means, lol.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think Gen3 6 years cycle was due to production cost issue with Lithium battery and reverting back NiMh.

I don't think we'll have another 6 years cycle unless they run into development issue with next gen gas engine with higher thermal efficiency.

15. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Gen II was 6 years though and if Gen III turns out to be another 6 as well whether or not due to battery tech issues, that's 2 cycles of 6 years. Time will tell I guess. I'd like to see a new generation Prius v in 2017 since I have a 14' on order, I'd be ready for a new gen Prius v come 17' instead of 18'. :)

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I meant the jump from gen2 to gen3 took 6 years due to Lithium issue. That has been resolved so I don't think we'll have another 6 years cycle in the jump to gen4.

17. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ahh, ok, on that I disagree but it's still a personal feeling. I think Gen 4 will be a model year 2016 released mid year 2015 like the Gen III.

18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  19. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Concerning the release date of Gen IV Prius a thing came to mind... The first spy shots of for example the 2009 Prius surfaced around early summer 2008, within a year in advance of release. The same is true for the Prius V. So, with this in mind a release in early 2014 seems probable to me.

20. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think so...Why?

I spoke to a manager of a dealership and they can look ahead at the inventory a year. They identified the redesigned camry as well as Rav4, the Prius & it's sisters/brothers are scheduled NOT to have a refresh.

That being said, I think they could be on schedule to be shown late 2014 for a 2015 release.

I would be VERY surprised as with many dealerships around the US if they released it as a 2014 model.

BUT, maybe different around the world?

Michael M. Maslowski likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.