1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    NS4 is next gen PiP. It is a dedicated plugin, being worked on in parallel with gen4.

cycledrum likes this.
  2. Michael M. Maslowski

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that, sounds very reassuring, bre I noticed the changes on the grille of the V with/without fog lights.

You've got quite a runner, Tideland Prius, 200 clicks with no issues is a good result.

We'll need to wait and see for a few months as the new announcement from Toyota seems to indicate quite an overhaul of the hybrid lineup for 2015. In my case that will be a MY '14 as I don't think that relying on a smart fortwo as a backup vehicle for another two years is a good idea.

Thanks!

3. Michael M. Maslowski

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    JMD likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    At least Toyota finally ditched the aging 4 speed auto. Except in the base trim.

5. clickerman

clickerman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If this is true, I'll have to start saving and trade in my Gen III prius

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In that interview Ogiso mentioned that generation to generation improvements of fuel economy of ~ 10% are quite difficult but remain a Toyota target. I'll take that as a pretty good ballpark estimate of G4 Prius MPG. If they can manage it while implementing a somewhat AWD with improved suspension, all while lowering the price the overall value will jump dramatically for a much larger market.

Go Toyota!

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I eagerly await the cryptic, mysterious and unrevealing Blue Man Group internet commercial.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From my calculations (VA with tax penalty on hybrids) cost really has to come down to make $$ sense versus non hybrid cars with good MPG. Japan yen devaluation may help then keep this promise, not sure.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    wjtracy,
    I thought the VA hybrid tax is about $5 a month ?

10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So is it possible that the next Gen Prius may not offer a plug as an option and leave the plug-in role to Toyota NS4?

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Possible, but I wouldn't see it happening. Still have a PiP or PPi.

I suppose the NS4 would be the car to go up against Fusion Energi, Accord Plug-in, etc...

Sergiospl likes this.
  12. harold

harold Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2015 Toyota Prius: Next Hybrid Aims For 55 MPG, More Room, Better Handling

2015 Toyota Prius: Next Hybrid Aims For 55 MPG, More Room, Better Handling

BY JOHN VOELCKER
    2,053 views Aug 28, 2013 10 CommentsFollow John
    2013 Toyota Prius liftback
    Toyota today released a few more nuggets of information about the next, all-new generation of its Prius hybrid car.

The all-new Prius, to be released in 2015, is likely to continue each generation's 10-percent improvement on the fuel economy of its predecessor.

With the current Prius Liftback rated at 50 mpg combined, that would take the 2015 model to 55 mpg.

The news was released by Satoshi Ogiso, Toyota's chief engineer and the man in charge of developing the next range of Prius models.

He stressed the challenge of continuously improving efficiency as consumption falls to extremely low levels, and declined to specify a specific numeric target for the next Prius.

Ogiso has worked on Toyota hybrids since October 1993, when he was assigned as a young engineer to the G21 team that developed the first Prius released in 1997.

ALSO SEE: Does Toyota's Hybrid Leadership Blind It To Electric Cars?

Bigger inside, smaller outside

The new fourth-generation Prius will use an updated version of the company's Hybrid Synergy Drive.

It will feature a more efficient engine, more powerful electric motor-generators, and "advanced battery technology" with higher energy density (almost surely lithium-ion cells).

Inside, it will be roomier, within a "more compact package that is lighter in weight, and lower in cost."

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In Drive - March 2011
    It will be built on a shared component set called Toyota New Global Architecture, or NGA, with a lower center of gravity and a more rigid structure.

Though Ogiso did not say so, the updated hybrid is expected to switch to a trailing-arm rear suspension design, giving far better handling and roadholding than the current model.

And it will introduce unspecified "advanced safety technologies."

DON'T MISS: Tesla: As Disruptive To U.S. Car Market As Toyota, Nissan Were?

More electric range for plug-in Prius

In addition, the next-generation Prius Plug-In Hybrid will be developed in parallel with the standard hybrid model.

"We have been listening very carefully to Prius [plug-in] owners over the past two years," Ogiso said, "and [we] are considering their request for additional all-electric range."

Moreover, Toyota is developing a new wireless inductive charging system that eliminates the need for a charging cable.

The company will begin verification of that system in Japan, Europe, and the U.S. next year.

Rife with rumors

Rumors about the 2015 Prius have circulated for more than a year now. Among the features it's thought to contain are:

A design somewhat different to the current wedge shape
    A lithium-ion battery pack
    An interior without the high "flying buttress" console for more accessible storage between the seats
    According to persistent rumors, it may even offer all-wheel drive

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid, production version road test, San Diego, CA, Jan 2012
    LEARN MORE: All-New 2015 Toyota Prius: What We Know So Far

Although it hasn't named a location yet, Toyota confirmed last year that it plans to build the next Prius in the U.S.

Then, back in May, spy shots of Prius prototypes under test emerged, prompting the last round of rumors.

The Prius is Toyota's flagship model, the "halo car" that has brought the entire brand an image of environmental responsibility.

The company has built more than 3 million Prius models, and more than 5 million Toyota and Lexus hybrids of all models, since the first Prius was launched on the Japanese market in 1997.

Today's Prius lineup comprises the classic Prius Liftback, the Prius V wagon, the Prius C subcompact, and the Prius Plug-In Hybrid.

All but the Prius V are rated at 50 mpg combined by the EPA.

Toyota provided airfare, lodging, and meals to enable High Gear Media to attend the Toyota Hybrid World Tour event and bring you this first-person report.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could be wrong....

But doesn't Toyota plan on opening a plant in the US that was projected to produce Prius? Or were those plans cancelled.

14. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Don't know if this is the actual test car (googled 2015 Prius) but doesn't the interior look like a CT200h?

2015 Prius:
    [​IMG]
    Notice the big red E-Stop?

CT200h:
    [​IMG]

16. Michael M. Maslowski

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I would say that 10% is totally doable, IMHO. I believe they already have vehicles who meet the target at this stage of testing.

I am not surprised to see that they herald lower MSRP, it's mainly because of the unified platform with other models that will allow Toyota to streamline the manufacturing processes; the only way you can achieve that in the long run, I think.

The future looks very bright, that's for sure.

Thanks.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the hybrid fee $64/yr so $640 for 10 years, but that's on top of an annual car tax on blue book value of the car. So somewhere $1500 extra tax on a Prius hybrid in North VA over 10 years.

Approx. 15% total tax on a Prius vs. 10-12% on a non-hybrid (10-yr total tax+fees). Don't even mention Highlander Hybrid that would be "ouch!" closer to 20% tax. It's not so much the tax is high (we're just sort of similar to CA car taxes, maybe even higher for >$30000 cars) but I believe north VA has the most tax differential on a hybrid vs. non-hybrid equivalent, owing in part to new fees and the Toyota's retain their value in our car tax system. PiP in MD might be $1000 taxes (after $600) credit vs. $4000-5000 total taxes in NoVA (over 10-yrs).

PS- Not to belabor the point, but our annual car tax rate in NoVA is about 5% with 50-60% relief under $20k. So something like a Tesla would be 4% sales tax + better part of 5% tax per year on the book value, but there could be sweetheart deal for rare cars, not sure. Probably if you own a Tesla you probably have personal meeting with county tax manager.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In Toyota speech, they referred to as plugin Prius being worked on in parallel. They did not refer to it as a separate model.

It could mean Gen4 and PiP2 maybe available at the same time and based on the same platform?

Sergiospl and JMD like this.
  19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    :)

20. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yup, sure looks like 200H inside. Good catch tk1971

But the red button still looks more like an emergency eject button from James Bond. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.