1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be extremely surprised if the next gen Prius had analog readouts.

inferno likes this.
  2. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the US sales numbers PIP is lagging behind, in Europe sale is practically non existent, it would be wise for Toyota to hurry up with the new more "competitive" PIP, if they can make it.

JMD and Felt like this.
  3. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where was this mentioned ? Or is it just speculation ?

4. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone care to answer why thermal efficiency is a big point for Toyota ?

5. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    The better thermal efficiency the better MPG, simply put. It is a measure of how much useful work you can output from a given input energy. An engine with a thermal efficiency of 30% has a loss of 70% of the energy content of the gasoline. Hence, an engine with high thermal efficiency can use less fuel.

6. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Likely not in my opinion. Rather, the PIP will be based on the the next gen Prius and developed in parallell, as Toyota's statement. It would probably be too expensive to develop a separate vehicle for them. Since the Prius will be the first do use the next gen drive train and Toyota talks about launching a lot of vehicles using the next gen drive train before the end of 2015, the 4 gen prius will be released no later than beginning of 2015 i think. The PIP will probably be launched a little later maybe. Still I won't be surprised if we see the next gen Prius released in 2014 already.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's not alone. Consider the plug-in model. Use of the engine needs to be rapid & efficient. That improvement is an important gain.

8. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Even with all the exterior wrapping, the general exterior shape seems to a dead ringer for the Gen3.

IMO, the likely scenario is that Toyota knows everyone's chomping at the bit for a preview of the Gen 4, so they stuck a Gen 4 drive train in a Gen 3 body and placed a CT dash on it, just so they can further test and refine the drive train. I'd bet another test car will be coming shortly to test/refine the chassis or even the total package.

Bman83 and Felt like this.
  9. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is the starting basis for efficiency improvements. Gain there and it is additive with most other gains such as weight reduction and hybrid system improvements as all of the energy comes from (in the non-plug in) the gas engine.

This of course is a very hard area to make gains. Getting a little bit of electricity from the exhaust heat with thermocouples is also another exotic solution for another 1-2%. As Toyota has pretty much the most efficient engine out there for automotive use, any large gain would be quite hard and this one feels possible to me for Toyota.

Chevrolet demonstrated HCCI a few years ago, and that technology could also be used. Like Honda 'lean burn' technology, HCCI would really work in synergy with a hybrid system as the hybrid system would allow the engine to stay in the sweet spot far more often then in a standard non-hybrid application. I do not think Toyota would go down this route though.

Michael M. Maslowski likes this.
  10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Speculation. I just connected the dots from these two sources but could be wrong.

Toyota | Toyota Reveals NS4 Advanced Plug-In Hybrid Concept

Toyota engineers were challenged to design a new mid-sized concept for potential global market introduction by 2015. The NS4 concept is a dedicated plug-in hybrid, separate from the Prius family, designed with future mobility requirements in mind.

NS4’s advanced powertrain targets a next-generation Hybrid Synergy Drive plug-in system featuring reductions in component size and weight with improved overall fuel economy, better acceleration and longer all-electric range, while maintaining a short charge time.

Toyota | Toyota to Launch 'New Era' of High-MPG Hybrids, Expand Its Global Hybrid Rollout

Ogiso also said the next-generation Prius Plug-in (PHV) is being developed in parallel with the standard Prius model.

“We have been listening very carefully to Prius PHV owners and are considering their requests for additional all-electric range.

11. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Consumer Report came today. On page 43 there is an article entitled "Sneak Peak" .... 2014 cars. On page 43 there is a photo of the 2014 Highlander and on 44 the new Corolla. I don't particularly like the Highlander's front design, but the Corolla is downright ugly (IMHO). The only vehicle pictured that is uglier, is the Cadillac CTS ..... and boy it is bad!!

If the Prius front end looks anything like the Corolla .... well, I'll just need to try to find something else, or learn to like the look. I've written about this before .... these enormous grilles cannot be required for cooling. It's all about d' sign .... and I don't like it. Just my opinion.

12. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    usbseawolf2000 - I like your rationale.

I have no position on your speculation other than to say I like the NS4 concept; A pure electric vehicle (Leaf and Tesla) does not fit my needs; so I would hope that if Toyota goes in the direction of a NS4 (PIP), it would be a hybrid (gas and electric) with extended electric range. But I would not be willing to give up the interior space (Volt) to accomplish extended range.

13. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    +1. These huge open maw front ends are so damn ugly. There was a possible Prius concept drawing posted a few months back with that look, that if true, would cause me serious pause to replace my GenIII.

Felt likes this.
  14. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There lies the rub. Everyone wants more range, but no one wants to give up any space.

15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I think you talk about it in every other post. ;)

Felt likes this.
  16. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It all about priorities. Elsewhere on PC, there is a thread about "wants" for 2018. There is a long list of wants ... and all at lower cost. Purchase price, convenience, interior finishes and comfort, performance, appearance, electronic gadgets, reliability, are all part of the equation. In my opinion, Toyota did a good job with the G3 in finding a good balance with the above listed criteria. But now, the competition is catching up, and Toyota will need to come up with something better if they want to continue to be the "rabbit" that everyone is chasing. From the few leaks that we have heard, allegedly from Toyota engineers, Toyota will produce a legitimate heir to the G3 legacy when the G4 finally appears. Unfortunately, some of the "wants" will need to be compromised.

It is an interesting time and for those of us in the market for a G4 .... we will not be satisfied with the "dribble"of information coming from Toyota until such time as we learn something definitive about what compromises were made. Then, we get to evaluate those decisions against our ....... needs and wants.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Took a sit in all new 2014 Corolla LE Plus and top trim (Limited or Supreme ??). Top trim car had some type of leather seats maybe leatherette and basic power seat (don't think it had power lumbar).

Dash and center stack really nice on new car, much better than outgoing model:

2014 -
    2014_Corolla_LE_Eco_013.jpg

2013 -

2013 corolla interior.jpg

At first I thought the parking brake placement was new since so many Toyotas use foot parking brake, but it's same placement as the old. The new dash center stack is nice and I'd call it 'flat faced' as the radio is very vertical. Somehow reminds me of a statelier German car, maybe or Jetta or the like that.

Driver's seat is as good as the outgoing, typical compact car size, way better than a Sentra I tried recently. It definitely has a Toyota-esque driver's seating layout which is distinctly different than Honda Civic.

What else ... front end looks more aggressive than any other Corolla I've seen.

Nice placement for cell phone in front of shifter, 12V and USB port right there.

Too bad they're still using the Torsion Beam rear suspension. I would think a biasic multi-link rear as found on Civic would improve handling a bit. Is what it is.

Ummm... oh yeah, most will get a CVT transmission, so now it gets 29 / 38 / 32 MPG. I'm sure Toyota will sell a boatload of them.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welp, here's your all new 2014 Corolla interior. I had a sit and it's a nice step from the old. Looks stately and sort of European. For 4th gen, Toyota could just dupe the center stack and go split level in front of the driver: MID / flower gauge through the wheel then digital speedo up high. Betchya the complaints (floating buttress, etc...) would go down to a dull roar.

See the nice little phone cubbie in front of shifter with 12V / USB above.

2014_Corolla_LE_Eco_013.jpg

19. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like more of the same cheap plastic inside with a facelift :eek:

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is there such a thing as plastic that doesn't look cheap?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.